Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shock and Awe (2018, D: Reiner) S: Harrelson, Reiner, Marsden, Jones, Biel, Jovovich

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shock and Awe (2018, D: Reiner) S: Harrelson, Reiner, Marsden, Jones, Biel, Jovovich

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 08:10 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CVdHJuVydb4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The film is based on the true events of Knight Ridder journalists who were the only ones who "got it right" in the lead-up to the 2003 Iraq War when they questioned the true nature of the Bush White House's justification for the conflict.
Another dud it seems from Reiner. This is On Demand today.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shock_and_awe_2018
Old 07-13-18, 09:37 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Shock and Awe (2018, D: Reiner) S: Harrelson, Reiner, Marsden, Jones, Biel, Jovov

It sounds good. I heard Reiner interviewed and he seemed enthusiastic. Is it bad?
Old 07-13-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Shock and Awe (2018, D: Reiner) S: Harrelson, Reiner, Marsden, Jones, Biel, Jovov

These political movies do poorly. Having it rated at 35% on RT with only 14% liking it doesn't bode well. He's catering to the crowd that are still fuming over our involvement in the war. However the right isn't going to appreciate the message and there are bigger concerns to the left these days. It seems like this is Reiner just trying to throw a few stones. He didn't do it very deftly at 14% unless it was only shown to the Young Republicans Club on campus. Preview for a meeting of the DNC Rob and maybe it will go up.
Old 07-13-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
These political movies do poorly. Having it rated at 35% on RT with only 14% liking it doesn't bode well. He's catering to the crowd that are still fuming over our involvement in the war. However the right isn't going to appreciate the message and there are bigger concerns to the left these days. It seems like this is Reiner just trying to throw a few stones. He didn't do it very deftly at 14% unless it was only shown to the Young Republicans Club on campus. Preview for a meeting of the DNC Rob and maybe it will go up.
I'm sure the movie is nothing to write home about, but yeah, 14% with only 114 user reviews isn't even worth taking note of. Same thing with 100% at 200 reviews.
Old 07-13-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That 14% isn't really worth much with only 114 reviews. I'm sure the movie is nothing to write home about, but yeah, 14% with 114 reviews isn't even worth taking note of. Same thing with 100% at 200 reviews.
True, and as I pointed out with some levity it may not have been their target audience. However 14% is still pretty poor in spite of the small-ish sample size. Something politically based like that, a critic should state up front if they are left leaning or right. There will certainly be a presdisposition based on one's core belief's.
Old 08-18-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It was not that bad.

I never heard of Knight Ridder until I saw this movie.

The message of the movie is "If we don't have a free press we won't have a democracy"