The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

Old 04-22-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge
May 1-31, 2018

The list thread is here.

May is just over a week and a half away, so it's time, once again, to take a look at your dusty, unopened box sets, your unwatched stacks of Blu-rays, DVDs, HD-DVDs, LDs, VHS or Beta tapes, your DVR, your Netflix queue, etc., etc., and decide what you think you should spend 31 days watching. Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.

Since you choose your own Challenge theme, you make the rules.

There are however a few guidelines which everyone should follow.

Challenge Guidelines:

The Challenge runs from May 1 through May 31.

Sure, you can do your May MYOC in September if you want, but the list thread will only be stickied during May, so if you want anyone else to see what you're up to, please try to do it near those dates.

Please state your challenge theme and your challenge goal and rules (if any) at the top of your list(s) in the list thread so others can tell what you're doing.

Please don't duplicate an existing "Official" DVD Talk Challenge.

This guideline is mainly here so we don't subtract from participation in any of the other Challenges, and to encourage participants to focus on genres not already covered by a Challenge, but since everyone's "need to watch" list is different, and you're able to watch stuff that qualifies for one or more of the other Challenges during every other Challenge, you're free to narrow the focus of one of the broader "Official" Challenges.

For example; Say you only collect horror, then you could make your Challenge to watch just horror films, or just horror TV shows, or just zombie films, etc. Or if you have lots of unwatched Sci-Fi, then your MYOC could be just watch Sci-Fi movies, or watch Star Trek shows, or watch TOS, etc.

Here's Trevor's handy-dandy list of Challenges from his "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium thread:

DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVHoliday ends on the 1st; varying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award
MarchAction/Adventure/Crimevarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movienone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

Since we already have Monthly "Unwatched Media Pile" Threads, please do not use that as a theme.

During past MYOCs, people weren't happy with this being used as a theme, and I tend to agree that it is a little lazy. So how about giving a little thought to the theme and coming up with something a little more creative, please?

Check out the previous threads for ideas:
2010 discussion thread.
2010 list thread.
2011 discussion thread.
2011 list thread.
2012 discussion thread.
2012 list thread.
2013 discussion thread.
2013 list thread.
2014 discussion thread.
2014 list thread.
2015 discussion thread.
2015 list thread.
2016 discussion thread.
2016 list thread.
2017 discussion thread.
2017 list thread.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-28-18 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Anyone know what's up with the May MYO Challenge?
Originally Posted by Trevor
Woah, this month is moving fast! Dx is starting the thread tonight, right?
Sorry, I was procrastinating as usual, but also I'm really not feeling this one this year. Usually I have a theme in mind months before it starts based on my to-watch stacks, but I'm still not sure what I want to watch. I might go with Comic Book shows and 3D (basically combining the previous two years). Plus, I seem to remember others were losing interest in this challenge also, but since at least three of us are in, might as well start the threads.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-22-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

I’m in too. Been debating a theme the last couple of weeks. Decided tonight to do Action Adventure/Sports/Documentaries The Sequel.
Old 04-23-18, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I am in. Not sure my angle yet though.

Previous MYOC's:

The Big Lots Challenge
The Mad Men & Wife's 'To Watch' Pile Challenge
The Lexx Challenge
31 Days Of Black Friday Challenge
The Fifo Challenge
Get Your Money's Worth Rewatch Challenge
A to Z Movie Challenge

Maybe I will do a low rez challenge? Focus on DVDs and VHS in my 'to watch' pile that I constantly pass over for BDs and UHDs. Maybe... a little broad though.

Or a Living in the Past challenge with only movies made or set before 1984.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-23-18 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 01:58 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm looking forward to it. The MYOC, Halloween and Christmas are my 3 favorite challenges.

I'm doing an 80's Challenge again. I've been saving up movies for the past 4-5 months.

I've also been doing a pre-challenge thoughout April, watching 70's movies.
Old 04-23-18, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I am going to start my X-Files re-watch in May so that's my theme.
Old 04-23-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
but since at least three of us are in, might as well start the threads.
Oh, I'm in big time!

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Maybe I will do a low rez challenge? Focus on DVDs and VHS in my 'to watch' pile that I constantly pass over for BDs and UHDs. Maybe... a little broad though.
Oh man! That is so close to part of what I'm doing! But I'm limiting it to titles that are NOT available in HD from any source yet.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm looking forward to it. The MYOC, Halloween and Christmas are my 3 favorite challenges.
Pretty close to my top 3 too, except I have to go with MYOC, Drive-in/Exploitation and Horror.

So, officially I'm doubling up on themes this year. Something like "Films Not Currently Available In HD and/or Canadian Films". In many cases I can meet both criteria for "extra credit." All these film festivals I attend have shown me that there are a LOT of great Canadian films and I need to be more familiar with them. I also want to pull out my dusty bins of DVDs and get at some of those old unwatched items before I end up NEVER watching them.

I'm excited to get going on it!

My historic themes:
2017: Remembering Bill Paxton
2016: The Full Monty
2015: One Degree of Gyllenhaal
2014: Floor and Drawer
2013: My Month With Marilyn
Old 04-23-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I always enjoy this one.

I think I'm going to aim for 50 or more films, all from different years. Or something like that.
Old 04-23-18, 09:13 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I too have been waiting for this, but am without an idea. I need it to be fairly open, otherwise I may lose interest. Thinking about doing a Geek Challenge and try to hit all the major geek categories (e.g. comic book geek, gamer geek, sports geek, etc.).
Old 04-23-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I decided a few months ago to do a Tarantino challenge.
Old 04-23-18, 10:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
help me

Jen says I’m doing a Wife’s Choice Challenge.
Old 04-23-18, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in! I only recently started doing this challenge, but it's been a lot of fun.
Old 04-23-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try and get in this challenge.

Working a partial new purchase challenge with a random pick of what I'll watch next.
Old 04-23-18, 09:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: help me

And I think it would be wise to go along with that excellent idea.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and the two top contenders are Asian Films or Short Films - I have bunch of the Rifftrax shorts DVDs, some disks full of shorts from the Lovecraft Film Festival, the Stooges, the Little Rascals, a bunch of discs with silent shorts, even some academy award winning shorts, and of course that top drawer in my dresser! Still pondering though.
Old 04-24-18, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: help me

Maybe I'll do a daughter's choice challenge.
Old 04-24-18, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in for another year. This is also one of my favorites, right behind the horror challenge.

I'm thinking of doing a Superheros and Slashers theme.
Old 04-24-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will she be picking what you watch at work as well?
Old 04-24-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be doing something to cut down my unwatched list, but hopefully I will figure out a wrinkle to add to make it more interesting.
Old 04-25-18, 07:35 AM

Will she be picking what you watch at work as well?
Except Octobers, I generally don’t watch anything at work, save maybe background noise of whatever my co-workers have turned on (sports or news).

Most months I only watch 36 items (the categories in my monthly checklist), so Jen will get to pick each of those.
Old 04-25-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like a great choice!

I'm going to do a "Watch the movies on my Vudu group that I don't personally own" challenge. I'm lucky enough to be part of a group that has almost 1000 movies in it available to me (plus a good deal of tv shows as well). While I do own a great number of them personally, there are plenty for me to chose from that I don't.

I hope to knock off some from my "to watch" pile doing this as well...those movies that are classics or those that I've had recommended to me that just don't usually fit in my normal watching pattern that I've been reluctant to try.
Old 04-26-18, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Except Octobers, I generally don’t watch anything at work, save maybe background noise of whatever my co-workers have turned on (sports or news).

Most months I only watch 36 items (the categories in my monthly checklist), so Jen will get to pick each of those.
I figured you'd watch your monthly stuff at work and let her choose whatever she wanted for home.

The way you're doing it sounds kind of like saying "Hey sweetie, let's go on a date. Your choice."

"But it's got to be dinner and a movie. Oh, and it has to be either cheeseburgers or pizza, and either the new Marvel movie or the new horror movie everyone at work's talking about. Totally your choice though, honey."
Old 04-26-18, 09:21 AM

I figured you'd watch your monthly stuff at work and let her choose whatever she wanted for home.

The way you're doing it sounds kind of like saying "Hey sweetie, let's go on a date. Your choice."

"But it's got to be dinner and a movie. Oh, and it has to be either cheeseburgers or pizza, and either the new Marvel movie or the new horror movie everyone at work's talking about. Totally your choice though, honey."
Well, not really, most of my categories are either very broad and have hundreds or thousands of options (Vudu, horror, holiday, YouTube, Disney); or smaller categories of things I put in for her benefit (Muppets, Peanuts). She will have at least 75 or so options in each category, and I promised her I won’t protest any choice.

But I like your idea for the other 11 months of the year!
Old 04-28-18, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread is now up.
Old 04-28-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Since I’m not doing the Drive In Challenge this year, or rather am barely doing it, I decided to start my Challenge this weekend. I kicked it off by watching an episode of Hawkeye And The Last Of The Mohicans , on KTV. I had never seen the show before, but I really enjoyed it. Classic westerns are great.
Old 05-01-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm on board. Doing a Detectives and Dark Knights theme based on Batman or any antiheroes, detectives and vigilantes that protect folks from criminal underworlds. Will include movies and TV shows. Already underway, so I'm pretty excited about the challenge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.