Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 03-02-16, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra HD 4K is hear. Samsung has a player out UBD-K8500 ($400). Panasonic to follow

Most of us are just getting around to upgrading all our DVD to BD.
Now should we go straight to buying 4k (since most 4K packs also include BD + DC ) - yes price is a concern for now.
Wish there were free movies given out with players ( Panasonic is offering 2 Free movies: Mad Max: Fury Road and San Andreas)

Any thoughts and Experiences:

The following 4K titles are all $29.99

The Martian
The amazing spider-man 2
Chappie
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Hitman
Fantastic Four
The smurfs
Mad Max: Fury Road
The last witch hunter
San Andreas
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Sicario
The Expendables 3
Ender’s Game
Kingsman: the Secret Service
The Maze Runner
Hancock
Salt
Pineapple Express
Wild
The smurfs
Deadpool (coming)
The Revenant (coming)

Last edited by soundman2; 03-07-16 at 04:24 PM.

Popular Reply

11-16-21, 07:32 PM
clappj
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If the price is the same, I'd go with the one that'll ship faster. For example, Knives Out 4k is $9.99 at both Amazon and Best Buy. Amazon and deliver it to my house tomorrow but Best Buy will take one week, unless you pay lots more for expedited shipping.
I believe the point here is Amazon wouldn't have them on sale unless Best Buy did, so it's good to support the company that originated the sale rather than the one that mimicked it. Once Best Buy and other retailers are out of business the only things Amazon will ever have discounted around BF are Kindles and Fire TV devices.
Old 03-02-16, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray: Discounts and deals

Probably not a bad idea to start a thread like this. It'll probably not have a lot of good deals for a while. But I'll keep my eyes peeled for some sales. But those software prices have got to drop.
Old 03-02-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This Kinda reminds me of the wonderful days of laserdisc. My awesome and hugely expensive Pioneer LD Player that could automatically flip discs and my $100 Criterion Special Editions-oh those were the days. Then started noticing these little discs called dvd in small space of Ken's Cranes Laser Disc store-we know what happened there. So which way will 4k go. One thing is for certain-these prices will drop with 100% certainty.
Old 03-02-16, 01:41 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

For new releases like Deadpool or Revenant, I may get the 4K bundle to jump start an eventual collection. I recently preordered The Peanuts movie on blu-ray 3D at Target. The day and date 4K release costs more, and I lose the 3D disc, so I had to pass on it for now.
Old 03-02-16, 01:45 PM

One of these days, my 1080p TV will die and I'll replace it with a 4K. Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with standard blu-ray.

If the 4k discs drop down to normal prices, I'll probably buy movies in combo sets (4K+BD) to future-proof. But there is no way I'm paying a premium for another format which may die out (remember 3D anybody).
Old 03-02-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

It's gonna be a while for me. I've seen 4K material and it looks great, but I also know 4K will get the same uneven treatment by studios that Blu-ray received, and will be more of a marketing scheme than giving consumers high quality overall. Eventually, everything will be labeled 4K, and I suspect we'll start seeing the Blu-ray upconversions in 4K cases.

Can't wait for Mill Creek and Echo Bridges of the world to start their 4K upconversions.
Old 03-02-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I already got my 4K set (Vizio M50-C1), Great picture, got the set for bargain basement price in my opinion ($480 from Warehouse Deals) I'm a believer in 4K, Upconverted Blu-rays look great with my Panny 460 "BUT" I will be extremely patient to pick up a 4K player. Until there's a decent amount of quality titles out, my unconverted Blu-rays will do just fine. I wouldn't even pay $10 bucks for the majority of the announced titles thus far.
Old 03-02-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

I wonder if there will be a top level under Shopping Discussions for Ultra HD 4K...

If so, this thread is a great start to that..

Also the discussion thread under HD Talk (Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray) could move to 4K Talk or Ultra HD Talk or Ultra HD 4K Talk still in the section DVD Discussions (should that change to Media Discussions as it includes other non-DVD items? I often wonder if slight changes may drive more traffic to our community)..
Old 03-02-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I remember we discussed in the past about the point where HD was realized on a particular size of television. I have no idea at this point, but I remember comparing televisions between DVD and Blu-ray movies on 32" sizes and thinking, I needed to go at least 50" to see some differences

Also, the more I read about the hardware being connected to studios and activation protocols for each fucking movie, I'm just not interested. Blu-ray is problematic enough. The new AACS protocols are just ridiculous and I don't need that kind of helicopter mommie at my age.
Old 03-02-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,221 Posts

An actual deal!

If you haven't signed up for FoxConnect's newsletters before, you can get 30% off of Fox's UHD BDs, bringing 'em down to $18 a pop.

Also, Amazon has Sony's UHD BDs for $26-$27 each.
Old 03-02-16, 04:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

so... is this a significant upgrade from bluray???
Old 03-02-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Depends on the title. I'm not sure if any review sites are doing 4K vs BD comparisons yet.
Old 03-03-16, 06:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Blu Ray is my ultimate physical format. I'm delighted with the way my Blus look and there is no way I'm rebuying titles like I have rebought many, many DVDs for Blus. I can see getting a 4k OLED when they're at a reasonable cost, but I don't care about the 4K disks.
Old 03-03-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Also the discussion thread under HD Talk (Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray) could move to 4K Talk or Ultra HD Talk or Ultra HD 4K Talk still in the section DVD Discussions (should that change to Media Discussions as it includes other non-DVD items? I often wonder if slight changes may drive more traffic to our community)..
Seems like "thoughts" have already been expressed in that thread, so I'm not sure why they would need to be here as well. Might make more sense to have this thread for deals only.
Old 03-03-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if we'll have the generous Upgrade To 4K like we did with Blu-ray.
Old 03-03-16, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That was a nice program. Doubtful, but if there was a program like that, I'd probably start buying into 4k sooner rather than later.
Old 03-04-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I wonder if we'll have the generous Upgrade To 4K like we did with Blu-ray.
Dream on!!!

I do not plan on upgrading my collection to 4K. However, I may start to buy some titles in 4K instead of buying the standard BD version. Deadpool is one title I will probably do this for, especially if Foxconnect sells it (and it IS a Fox title). FC should be a good place to pick up cheap 4K titles with their sporadic coupons, but I'm not paying to upgrade anything I already own... Except for Star Wars, if that ever comes out.

But I do not plan on buying any 4K equipment anytime soon. Not unless my 60" TV dies. That will be a sign for me to upgrade...
Old 03-04-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I don't care about upgrading for the majority of titles that I own. I guess like some others have mentioned I may buy new releases if they're priced close to the regular Blu-ray counterparts but other than that I'm not going out of my way to pay more for them.
Old 03-04-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Deadpool is one title I will probably do this for, especially if Foxconnect sells it (and it IS a Fox title).
I'm sure they will. I'm a little puzzled why FoxConnect carries the DVD and Blu-ray editions of The Revenant but not the UHD BD, at least not yet.
Old 03-05-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Are the digital copies included with UHDs identical to the UV codes included with standard Blu-rays? I know VUDU has begun selling 4K versions of some movies.
Old 03-05-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Are the digital copies included with UHDs identical to the UV codes included with standard Blu-rays? I know VUDU has begun selling 4K versions of some movies.
I haven't tried redeeming the digital copies on my two Fox UHD BDs, but the slips don't say anything about 4K/UHD.
Old 03-05-16, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So now there's gonna be three formats on the market...and at three separate price points?
There are so many people out there who haven't upgraded from DVD to Blu yet. I don't even understand why DVD still exists. If price is the only reason, then 4k (which will undoubtedly be higher than BluRay) is doomed.
Me - I have a half BluRay/half DVD collection I'm watching on a 720p TV. After having upgraded from VHS to LD to DVD to Blu, I'm really kinda feeling done with being soaked over & over.
...And we all know 8k can't bee too far down the road anyway.
Old 03-05-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts

Just as long as you can still watch your VHS tapes on your new 4K TV, you're not forced to replace any of them!
Old 03-06-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Expendables III and Ender's Game are $19.99 a pop at frys.com.
Old 03-06-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just like any other format that's introduced. Most people will cling to the old stuff until the new stuff becomes cheap enough to upgrade and there are enough titles to warrant the migration. I guess the problem is, physical media is suffering a slow death and this format may be the LD of our generation. I hope not, but it probably will be.

I have no plans on upgrading, but may if the price becomes attractive enough. I still watch my DVDs, and though I'd prefer a BD, availability and price still play a part. I see no reason to upgrade a mediocre movie in my collection to BD unless the price really warrants it. IOW, I don't "HAVE" to have hi-def on every movie. I'm by no means rich, and I pick my battles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.