Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever find it hard to choose next game to play?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Ever find it hard to choose next game to play?
Yes
53.85%
No
46.15%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 05:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

whenever i play and finish a game, whatever game, i always find it hard to choose what to play next.

i usually play FPS. i like shooting stuff. so i go from one to another. love them don't get me wrong, but it is so hard to figure out what to play next.

i just finished Far Cry 5 (first open-world game since Red Dead Redemption on 360). was all set to play DLC Vietnam, but just needed a break from that world. previously, played, finished and loved BioShock 1, 2, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. Usually, like the linear games.

i wanted something different and love horror games so tried The Evil Within. Frustratingly hard right from the start. didn't love that. have both games digitally so i will eventually get to it and did give me RE4 vibe which is probably fav. game of all time.

then, went back to Destiny 2. today. i'll stick with it, but not outwardly loving it, but not a grind either. probably why i ditched previously.

anyway, we'll see. i just look at all my downloaded games and just don't know what to play sometimes.

plus, i want to yearn to play or look forward to whenever i can, usually only weekends for a couple hours max or so, but all those previously mentioned games i looked forward to playing. none, i see, in my collection, seems to scream that right now...

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-10-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Ever find it hard to choose next game to play?

I do because I like changing up genres and time sinks. I dropped 45 hours into Far Cry and didn't want another shooter or another 45 hour game. So I hopped to The Wolf Among Us. I'm cleaning up some trophies but after that I'll hop genres again and am leaning towards Until Dawn or Uncharted 4. Then again I may just go back to Resogun which is a nice filler game when I can't decide.
Old 06-10-18, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I do because I like changing up genres and time sinks. I dropped 45 hours into Far Cry and didn't want another shooter or another 45 hour game. So I hopped to The Wolf Among Us. I'm cleaning up some trophies but after that I'll hop genres again and am leaning towards Until Dawn or Uncharted 4. Then again I may just go back to Resogun which is a nice filler game when I can't decide.
yeah, i had like 43hrs and was just done. couldn't even sit through the comic Vietnam opening for that dlc. didn't even get to gameplay before abandoning.

thought the Evil Within genre, third-person, etc. was the way to go, but maybe to near playing RE7 which was FPS, but still (only played maybe less than year ago). EW just didn't do anything but frustrate me. i don't want to be frustrated while doing something i should enjoy. i want to be entertained and amused. scared, thrilled, whatever...
Old 06-10-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

I think it's like that with all forms of entertainment especially when you have a lot to choose from. Quite a few times I'll open Netflix scroll through a bunch of stuff get overwhelmed and never actually watch anything. I find it's best not to overthink it and I'll just randomly pick a game from my "to play" list if I don't have something specific in mind to play next.
Old 06-10-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, like Corvin i'll mix it up after playing one game of a certain genere. After 30-40 hours of something like Horizon or God of War (the big games i've recently played) i'll play a small indie adventure game while continuing to play a multiplayer or sports game like Overwatch or NBA 2K.
Old 06-10-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Quite a few times I'll open Netflix scroll through a bunch of stuff get overwhelmed and never actually watch anything.
I have/had Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and a TiVo full of shows and still end up watching Friends reruns on cable most nights.
Old 06-10-18, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have/had Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and a TiVo full of shows and still end up watching Friends reruns on cable most nights.
Always have something queued up on one of those. Usually wind up watching news and Seinfeld on WB. Though running through Brooklyn Nine-Nine again, once in awhile, is a hell of a lot of fun on Hulu...
Old 06-11-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No

I only play a handful of games usually for long periods of time.

I am awaiting Fallout 76 and will stick with State of Decay until November
Old 06-11-18, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

After an epic (ie long) game like FC5 or GoW, I usually cool down a few weeks with a game I can pick-up and get into instantly -- my old favorite Rainbow Six: Siege. It's enough of a diversion and different than anything else I typically play.
Old 06-11-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I do because my backlog is so massive and ridiculous. I still have sealed games from last gen that have now received remakes. lol Almost 200 games in my steam library and I tried attacking it by just going in alphabetical order. But that put me on the Ages of Empires remake and I wasn't as interested in that one as other games still waiting.

It doesn't help that I'm just so slow with finishing these games. I've been working on AC:Origins for over 2 months now and only at level 26.
Old 06-11-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I avoid having a backlog whenever possible. (Between my late November birthday and Christmas, though, things do usually pile up near the end of the year and the start of the next.) I just keep an Amazon wish list of titles I'm interested in, and I keep an eye on sales. My choices are usually influenced by:
  • What new game is coming out that I've been really looking forward to?
  • Is there anything on sale that's really tempting me?
  • Is there something I overlooked that everyone seems to be really enthusiastic about?
  • If I'm coming off some massive open world game, what's something that's shorter, more linear, and less involved?

Since I spend so much time on various gaming forums and gaming sites/blogs, I usually don't have to think too hard about it. Hypocritically, I am kind of in a "what next?" place right now , but it doesn't happen often!
Old 06-11-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be pretty good about picking a next game. But when you get a wife you give a damn about and subsequently a kid (that you also care about), your time becomes limited. So, I would love to play SPRAWLING RPG that looks oh so gorgeous, but alas it's probably not going to work out (which really sadden me). I would also love to play something vulgar, dark and deep but I can't play those in front of the three year old until after bedtime. So, as a result I try to find a lot of pick up and play type games that can be played for 30 minutes-1 hour and then go off and sleep or do something else. As a result, I tend to be way more choosy and can actually debate with myself for a day or two before choosing something.
Old 06-11-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I used to now I just pick up whatever I’m interested off my library. If I’m not having fun I’ll shelve it and move on to another. I just finished Alex Kidd on Genesis Classics. I then decided to hook SNES classics back up and fire up Donkey Kong Country (Fifth playthrough). Tonight I might be up for whatever .
Old 06-14-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a huge backlog, but no, I don't find it hard to choose my next game. I switch off the types and lengths of games I play, so if I just finished an open-world FPS, I'll likely choose an indie puzzle game next. If I finished a platformer, I'll try an RPG or something like that. I also often balance between PS3 and PS4 games.

I generally only play one game at a time. If I like the game enough to get past the first hour or two, I play it to completion. I'm currently playing Saints Row 3, which came out in 2011. Once finished, I'll probably jump back to the PS4 and play the new Ratchet and Clank.