Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hereditary (2018, D: Aster) S: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-26-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Hereditary (2018, D: Ari Aster) S: Toni Collette, Zachary Arthur, Mallory Bechtel

Oooh, dis looks scawwy.

Synopsis:
“When Ellen, the matriarch of the Graham family, passes away, her daughter’s family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited.”

Sundance: 'Hereditary' is the most insane horror movie in years

PARK CITY, Utah — If you'd ever like to sleep again, then you should probably steer clear of A24's latest horror offering.

Hereditary, which flew in under the radar on the Sundance Film Festival lineup, is the paralyzing feature-film debut of shorts director Ari Aster, who wrote the script four years ago amid unspecified family turmoil.

Creepy drawings, fiery séances and decapitated floating corpses are just a few of the relentless scares that will haunt your nightmares after watching Hereditary, which grounds its thrills in harrowing family drama, and manages to make well-trodden genre tropes feel fresh with twisted humor and minimal special effects.

Hereditary is the most traumatically terrifying horror movie in ages

This isn’t a scary movie. It’s pure emotional terrorism, gripping you with real horror, the unspeakable kind, and then imbuing the supernatural stuff with those feelings. It didn’t play me like a fiddle. It slammed on my insides like a grand piano.

Amazingly confident for a debut feature, Hereditary is first-class genre filmmaking. It’s hard for me to imagine seeing a more frightening movie this year.

'Hereditary' Is the Most Disturbingly Terrifying Horror Movie in Years

It's not rare to hear a director introduce their debut feature at a festival by calling it a "personal film." The process of making any piece of art, especially one as time-consuming and work-intensive as a movie, is often an act of bloodletting. What's surprising is when that passion project is as terrifying, unsettling, and deeply sorrowful as Hereditary, a haunted-house film that debuted at the Sundance Film Festival.

Is This New Movie The One That Will Scare The Living #@!/*#^! Out Of You This Year?

You say you like scary movies? Then grab your pants and get ready to dance because this one just might give you a heart attack and hardening of the arteries at the same time.

There’s a scary new horror flick on the horizon and it’s generating huge buzz off its debut at a film festival.

Sundance: Toni Collette’s Shattering ‘Hereditary’ Performance Deserves an Oscar Push

There is a crater-leaving performance in the Midnight lineup that certainly deserves to be in the Oscar conversation, even if it comes in a brutal genre movie that’s unlikely to find traction with Academy voters for a variety of reasons. But then, a year after Get Out, what does that even mean anyway?

The performance is Toni Collette’s in newcomer Ari Aster’s bone-chilling Hereditary, and it is a staggering work conveying “torment of the most lived-in kind,” as Variety critic Owen Gleiberman put it in his review. As a mother swept up in a dark family history (which is…putting it lightly), the Oscar-nominated actress gives a powerhouse portrayal full of pain, terror, regret, compulsion — just a fireworks display of raw commitment.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 01-26-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 08:09 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V6wWKNij_1M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warning: May contain walnuts, ants, a sacrificial pigeon, and a Toni Collette performance that will shake you to your core.

Coming June 8, 2018.

Written and Directed by Ari Aster

Starring Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro, with Ann Dowd and Gabriel Byrne

When Ellen, the matriarch of the Graham family, passes away, her daughter's family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited. Making his feature debut, writer-director Ari Aster unleashes a nightmare vision of a domestic breakdown that exhibits the craft and precision of a nascent auteur, transforming a familial tragedy into something ominous and deeply disquieting, and pushing the horror movie into chilling new terrain with its shattering portrait of heritage gone to hell.
100% on RT with reviews out of Sundance https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary

A24 means I'm there.

Last edited by dex14; 01-30-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 10:10 AM

Re: Hereditary (2018, D: Aster) S: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd

NVM

Cool trailer.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 01-30-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 08:32 AM

<iframe width="638" height="359" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MJNR58zaStE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-17-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A24 horror movie? I am in!
Old 04-18-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Keen on seeing this based on all the praise for its writer/director, it might draw more attention to his short films, all of which seem to share dark themes. His first one courted some controversy (white director, black cast, incest), but showed he wasn't afraid to push boundaries:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/70163273" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-04-18, 12:02 PM

Bump for the release this week.
Old 06-04-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Got my tickets for Thursday night!
Old 06-04-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

This movie has crazy hype right now. I've been onboard for awhile now. I'm seeing it over the weekend. I hope it lives up.
Old 06-06-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't believe this thread doesn't have more activity. This looks REALLY GOOD, and the reviews so far are solid. Lots of reviewers are saying it's not only scary, but also a "messes with your head" kind of movie that requires a second viewing. That's like music to my ears.
Old 06-06-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Looks interesting. I didn't know the same person made the "Johnsons" short...
Old 06-06-18, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I can't believe this thread doesn't have more activity. This looks REALLY GOOD, and the reviews so far are solid. Lots of reviewers are saying it's not only scary, but also a "messes with your head" kind of movie that requires a second viewing. That's like music to my ears.
I think that anything A24 puts out should be on everyone's radar.
Old 06-06-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm seeing this on Sunday in a double bill with Ocean's 8. It'll be girl power day at the movies!
Old 06-08-18, 12:53 AM

Caught a showing of this tonight.

It starts off with a slow building but unsettling air of disjointedness before we get a sudden jolt that takes things in a very creepy and disturbing direction. I was really enjoying the movie and eager to see where it was going until ...

Spoiler:
...it introduces some rather cliche (seance) supernatural elements into the plot that quickly take over the storyline. Strangely enough, this is one horror movie where I would have preferred it stay away from being overtly supernatural as I felt the story was more effective when it was grounded in everyday reality with strange occurrences that simply happened and didn't need to be explained with bad dialogue. The scene where Collette's character was trying to convince her disbelieving husband what was really going on, was probably Collette's worst scene in the movie, probably because the dialogue was so wooden. I would have preferred the mom just go increasingly nutty until crossing the line into batshit crazy instead of having her be manipulated by evil forces.

I was was very disappointed when the story segued into Poltergeist/Insidious territory (parent trying to save their child from the forces of evil) before ending with predictable body switcheroo shenanigans seemingly lifted from The Skeleton Key (or The Mephisto Waltz). Man, Get Outta here! We've seen all this kind of shit before. It's not scary or original.

I will say, however, that Toni Collette was incredible and well deserving of at least an Oscar nom. On the other hand, I thought Alex Wolff overacted at times (particularly when he was sobbing on his father's shoulder) and he doesn't really look like either Collette or Byrne (or their daughter), so that was a little distracting (unless Collette had him with another man before she married Byrne).

So, in conclusion, I really liked it for about 90 minutes, but the last 30 minutes or so were pretty formulaic horror movie malarkey.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 06-08-18 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this tonight as well and thought was great. It was one wacky gameshow and ends on a bit of a
Spoiler:
Rosemary's Baby
note.

I agree about Collette - she should get nominated for an Oscar.
Old 06-08-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I had the misfortune of seeing this with a crowd of jackasses, who giggled and laughed throughout the movie and mimicked the "cluck" noise the girl made. Way to reinforce and perpetuate negative stereotypes!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good, but the story was completely different than I thought it would be
Spoiler:
I thought it would be the ghost of the grandmother haunting and reeking havoc on the family

There were some cringey scenes with bad acting and dialogue, mostly due to the actor playing the son, but overall I thought it was a messed up (in a good way) movie with some really creepy imagery.

The scenes with
Spoiler:
Annie sawing her own head off in the attic and the headless corpses bowing and kneeing to "King Permion" or whatever
were crazy and disturbing.
Old 06-08-18, 10:12 AM

Old 06-08-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Need to train before I go see this on Tuesday.
Old 06-08-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I had the misfortune of seeing this with a crowd of jackasses, who giggled and laughed throughout the movie and mimicked the "cluck" noise the girl made. Way to reinforce and perpetuate negative stereotypes!
Just saw this with a crowd of 5 other people. This one little teen b!tch would not shut up to her bf. She never did talk loudly, But she would not shut up. It caused me to miss most of "Grandma's background" at the recovery meeting.

There were some cringey scenes with bad acting and dialogue, mostly due to the actor playing the son, but overall I thought it was a messed up (in a good way) movie with some really creepy imagery.
Yeah the crying/whining by the son was...Something else. But at least Toni acted her ass off. I can see the Oscar talk.

So uh,
Spoiler:
Is A24 making a franchise of VVitch movies here? Not that im complaining. I'd love to see one more!
Old 06-08-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think the boy's crying and whining was distracting. I thought it lent itself to him trying to act all cool and shit and the guilt was just ravaging him up until he reverted to a little fucking baby crying to his parents.
Old 06-08-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Caught a showing of this tonight.

It starts off with a slow building but unsettling air of disjointedness before we get a sudden jolt that takes things in a very creepy and disturbing direction. I was really enjoying the movie and eager to see where it was going until ...

Spoiler:
...it introduces some rather cliche (seance) supernatural elements into the plot that quickly take over the storyline. Strangely enough, this is one horror movie where I would have preferred it stay away from being overtly supernatural as I felt the story was more effective when it was grounded in everyday reality with strange occurrences that simply happened and didn't need to be explained with bad dialogue. The scene where Collette's character was trying to convince her disbelieving husband what was really going on, was probably Collette's worst scene in the movie, probably because the dialogue was so wooden. I would have preferred the mom just go increasingly nutty until crossing the line into batshit crazy instead of having her be manipulated by evil forces.

I was was very disappointed when the story segued into Poltergeist/Insidious territory (parent trying to save their child from the forces of evil) before ending with predictable body switcheroo shenanigans seemingly lifted from The Skeleton Key (or The Mephisto Waltz). Man, Get Outta here! We've seen all this kind of shit before. It's not scary or original.

I will say, however, that Toni Collette was incredible and well deserving of at least an Oscar nom. On the other hand, I thought Alex Wolff overacted at times (particularly when he was sobbing on his father's shoulder) and he doesn't really look like either Collette or Byrne (or their daughter), so that was a little distracting (unless Collette had him with another man before she married Byrne).

So, in conclusion, I really liked it for about 90 minutes, but the last 30 minutes or so were pretty formulaic horror movie malarkey.

I agree with you on Wolff's acting. I also thought the same thing how he didn't like look Byrne or Collete.

But, Collete was the best part of the movie.
Old 06-09-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this last night with a friend.

Really enjoyed it. Keeping myself in the dark about the film (outside a single Trailer) definitely helped that exponentially.

Well-acted, as well as beautifully shot & scored.

I also very much appreciated the deliberate pacing and fairly unpredictable script.

The 10pm Screening I went to last night only had about 8 or 9 people in it, all very quiet, so I was a bit lucky there. Only issue was a guy who was sitting 3 seats away from my friend & I, who might have brought every individually wrapped snack in existence.

Previous to the Screening, I was waiting for my friend to show up and sat near the room where the film was showing. There was a group of about 4-5 people that were discussing the film by the doors to the Theater. Thought that was a bit annoying. I was fortunate to not have caught any real Spoilers.
Old 06-09-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Caught this yesterday with no really concept of the movie other than that it was horror and had good reviews. That helped a lot. I enjoyed it but since it's summer time the theater was a bout half full (4:40 showing) and most of it was teens looking for something the movie wasn't. Whenever a horror movie gets good reviews like this or A Quiet Place, I try to see it with an audience that has the FEWEST members as I know a majority won't get it and act like jackasses to entertain themselves if the movie isn't what they want.

Movie itself was really good, especially in the acting department. Hope Collette gets a nod. Always felt she was underrated. Movie was like Hitchcock mixed with old school Polanski and yes, the ending is straight out of
Spoiler:
Rosemary's Baby. Since I'm in spoiler zone, what makes people think thisi a sequel to The VVitch? It had a the same vibe, but I don't recall seeing anything to connect it.
A cameo by Black Phillip would have been cool.
Old 06-09-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what I said in post ^, Dr. DVD. *in your spoiler
Old 06-10-18, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts

Just came back from seeing this with my daughter. Loved it--best horror movie I've seen in a long time (since The Witch).

Spoiler:
I thought the son's acting was fine--he seemed like a realistic fucked up teenage boy to me (and who wouldn't be fucked up after that accident).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.