Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mule (2018, D: Eastwood) S: Eastwood, Cooper, Wiest, Peña, Fishburne, Farmiga

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mule (2018, D: Eastwood) S: Eastwood, Cooper, Wiest, Peña, Fishburne, Farmiga

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Still in the early stages, but sounds like an interesting story:

CLINT EASTWOOD CIRCLING 90-YEAR-OLD DRUG COURIER TALE “THE MULE” AT WARNER BROS., IMPERATIVE (EXCLUSIVE)

Just as his new film The 15:17 to Paris chugs into theaters, Clint Eastwood is circling THE MULE at Warner Bros. and Imperative Entertainment, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned. The Hollywood legend plans to direct, produce and star as 90-year-old drug courier Leo Sharp, according to multiple sources.

The New York Times Magazine ran a story on Sharp in June 2014, and by November that same year, Imperative had acquired the article by Sam Dolnick, and tapped Ruben Fleischer (Gangster Squad) to direct and produce the film. At the time, Deadline reported that the producers were looking for a writer to tell this peculiar story, and oh, what a story it is!

Sharp was an award-winning horticulturist and decorated WWII veteran known for his prized day lilies when he was busted for running drugs for Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, and sent to prison at the age of 90. He was transporting $3 million worth of cocaine through Michigan in his beat-up old pickup truck when he was arrested by the DEA. Sharp was sentenced to just three years after his lawyer argued that his client’s dementia sent him down the wrong path.

We’ve heard that Eastwood’s Gran Torino scribe Nick Schenk wrote the initial draft of the script, which has since been rewritten by Weeds writer Dave Holstein.

Should Eastwood officially sign on, he would likely produce via his Malpaso banner along with Imperative’s Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas. The Mule is expected to be Eastwood’s next film at Warner Bros., which has been the filmmaker’s home for years
http://www.tracking-board.com/clint-...ent-exclusive/
Old 02-12-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: The Mule (2018, D: Eastwood) S: Eastwood, Cooper, Wiest, Peña, Fishburne, Farmiga

Eastwood will probably be 90 when he makes this.
Old 02-12-18, 05:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: The Mule (2018, D: Eastwood) S: Eastwood, Cooper, Wiest, Peña, Fishburne, Farmiga

Sounds like a great vehicle for an older star.
Old 02-13-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Eastwood will probably be 90 when he makes this.
I doubt it. He'll turn 88 on May 31st, but he tends to move quickly from circling a project to filming it (sometimes to his detriment, as with his latest film).
Old 05-18-18, 11:36 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Bradley Cooper may be reuniting with Clint Eastwood for his next film.

Sources tell Variety that Cooper is in talks to join Eastwood in “The Mule,” Eastwood’s next directing gig that he also plans to star in.

The film is a co-production between Warner Bros. and Imperative Entertainment, and will mark Eastwood’s first time acting since the 2012 baseball drama “Trouble With the Curve.” This could be one of his last on-screen appearances.

The movie follows 90-year-old drug courier Leo Sharp, an award-winning horticulturist and decorated WWII veteran known for his prized daylilies who is busted for running drugs for Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, and sent to prison. He was transporting $3 million worth of cocaine through Michigan in his beat-up pickup truck when he was arrested by the DEA. Sharp was sentenced to just three years in jail after his lawyer argued that his client’s dementia sent him down the wrong path.

Cooper will play the DEA agent who arrests Sharp.

Eastwood will also produce via his Malpaso banner, along with Imperative’s Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas.

Cooper has been busy putting the finishing touches on his directorial debut, “A Star Is Born,” but sources say he had been weighing what would be his next project.

Cooper had been linked to “The Mule” for some time as Eastwood is a big fan of Cooper’s after working together on “American Sniper.”

Cooper is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/br...le-1202788236/
Old 05-18-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently, Eastwood looks on Death's Door.
I doubt he will be around much longer.
Old 05-18-18, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus
No shit. He's 87.
Old 05-18-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
No shit. He's 87.
What I meant was I doubt he will be able to make this movie.
Old 05-18-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I meant was I doubt he will be able to make this movie.
Well, Leo Sharp was 90 and running drugs.

Compared to that, making a movie is a cake walk.
Old 05-18-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought Clint Eastwood was done with acting. I'm in for another movie of his if he's game enough to finish it.
Old 05-18-18, 10:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Or lives long enough to finish it.
Old 05-19-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2
Well, Leo Sharp was 90 and running drugs.

Compared to that, making a movie is a cake walk.
LOL, you might have a point there...

I'm fan of late Eastwood movies (Unforgiven is one of the greatest Westerns of all time IMO).
Like nearly everyone his age, he appears to be running out of gas.
God bless him...I hope we have many more great movies from Mr. Eastwood before he leaves the stage.
Old 05-19-18, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I dunno, his Mom lived to be 97. I could see Clint pulling a Kirk Douglas by refusing to die. I wouldn't be surprised if he lives to 100 and keeps working until the very end.
Old 05-19-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Clint Eastwood sticking narcotics up his butthole, I'm in!
Old 05-19-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
3 million dollars worth?
Old 05-19-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I dunno, his Mom lived to be 97. I could see Clint pulling a Kirk Douglas by refusing to die. I wouldn't be surprised if he lives to 100 and keeps working until the very end.
The body might continue, but...
Old 05-19-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Now that’s a fistful of dollars!
Old 05-19-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I thought Clint Eastwood was done with acting. I'm in for another movie of his if he's game enough to finish it.
I was worried his last performance would be the awful "TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE," so I'm hoping he does this and does the part justice.
Old 05-19-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Million Dollar Booty.
Old 06-04-18, 11:22 AM

Two-time Oscar winner Dianne Wiest and Michael Pena have joined Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper in Warner Bros.' crime drama The Mule.

Laurence Fishburne, Alison Eastwood, Taissa Farmiga and Ignacio Serricchio have also boarded the production, which began shooting Monday in Atlanta.

Eastwood is directing the project and is also starring, marking the first time since 2012’s Trouble With the Curve that the veteran Hollywood actor will appear onscreen.

The story, per the studio, focuses on Earl Stone, a man in his 80s who is broke, alone and facing foreclosure of his business when he is offered a job that simply requires him to drive. What he discovers is that he has just signed on as a drug courier for a Mexican cartel.

Stone does the job so well that his cargo increases exponentially, and he is assigned a handler. But he also comes on the radar of hard-charging DEA agent. And even as his money problems become a thing of the past, Stone’s past mistakes start to weigh heavily on him, and it’s uncertain if he’ll have time to right those wrongs before law enforcement, or the cartel’s enforcers, catch up to him.

Eastwood is playing Stone while Cooper is a hard-charging DEA agent hot on his tail.

In what is said to be a meaty role, Wiest will play Stone’s ex-wife. Pena is the enforcer.

Nick Schenk, who wrote Eastwood’s Gran Torino, and Dave Holstein (Weeds, I'm Dying Up Here) worked on the script.

Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas of Imperative Entertainment (All the Money in the World) are producing with Eastwood. Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier are also producing.

Wiest, repped by ICM Partners, is the veteran actress who won Academy Awards for Hannah and Her Sisters as well as Bullets Over Broadway, and was also nominated for an Oscar for her work in Ron Howard’s Parenthood (not to overlook her work in 1980s classic The Lost Boys.) She currently stars in the CBS ensemble drama Life in Pieces.

Pena, who will appear in the next season of Narcos and recently starred in Warners' 12 Strong, next shows up on the big-screen in Ant-Man and the Wasp. He is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Old 06-06-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I doubt it. He'll turn 88 on May 31st, but he tends to move quickly from circling a project to filming it (sometimes to his detriment, as with his latest film).
This began shooting this week, so I have to quote myself here to affirm that he does still indeed move fast from circling a project to filming it. And if a project stalls out, like A Star is Born did (he is still a listed producer on that film), he quickly finds another.
Old 09-28-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...le-1202959955/

Moved up from a 2019 release to December 14th of this year.
Old 09-28-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

December release. Hmm. Hopefully that means the movie is awesome.
Old 09-28-18, 07:39 PM

It can’t be worse than his last film.
Old 09-28-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
December release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.