Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Talk (Reverse) Sheep: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Intro for first-time players

Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

Player A gets zero points, unless unique bonuses are in play (refer to the Game-Specific Rules). The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong. If "Texas" is ruled incorrect, player C gets +4 points (two above the most common correct answer).

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules

Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a confusing sci-fi TV series." A good answer might be Lost and a bad answer might be Land of the Giants.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a Clippers draft pick." Blake Griffin might be a bad answer, but Yaroslav Korolev might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google or Wikipedia, Pinterest, fan sites, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:
Make sure you are specific in your answers (provide everything I need to know what answer you are providing). Vague answers with multiple interpretations will receive a 5 point penalty. This game is specifically dealing with any of the 19 released MCU movies so far. Marvel movies outside the established Marvel Cinematic Universe (e.g., Howard the Duck), do not count and will be marked incorrect.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:

1 Unique is awarded -20
2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
4 Uniques are awarded -5 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:

In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier.
In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Use one per question only or else they will be discarded. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Do not forget your {sd}. Sometimes I notice and ask the player to re-send, and sometimes I don't, so to make things fair, if you forget to include them I won't be reminding you.

The Questions
  1. S: What is the absolute best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
  2. S: Other than Robert Downey, Jr., which part was most perfectly cast in the MCU?
  3. S: Which actor or actress was the most poorly cast in the MCU?
  4. S: Using the reality stone, Thanos just took an existing movie from outside the MCU and folded it into MCU continuity. Which movie do you hope he picked?
  5. R: Name an actor or actress who has won an Academy Award (in one of the four acting categories) who has also appeared in an MCU movie.
  6. S: Which single Marvel character or team would you most like to see added to the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
  7. S: What is the best sequel in the MCU?
  8. S: Aside from Loki and Thanos, who has been the MCU’s best villain?
  9. S: Name a character that has appeared in an MCU movie that did not have their name (or their team’s name) in the title, and the movie in which they made their cameo/guest starring appearance. Give the name of the character AND the title of the movie in which they appeared. NOTE: Give the name of ONE character and ONE movie.
  10. R: Name a character who died on-screen in Avengers: Infinity War. (Must be an established, named character. Answers like "Helicopter pilot" will be counted as incorrect.)
  11. S: Except for Avengers 4, which MCU sequel are you most looking forward to or hoping eventually gets made?
  12. S: Which MCU gadget/weapon/device would you most like to own in real life?
  13. S: It isn’t a comic book movie without a good fight. What is the single best fight scene in all of the MCU? (Make sure to give specific details and the movie you’re referring to.)
  14. S: Disney just announced an upcoming MCU movie titled Marvel Team Up, starring two established MCU characters. Which two characters would make the best team-up movie?
  15. R: Even heroes need a little lovin’. Name an MCU hero’s on-screen love interest. (Note the emphasis on “love.” We’re looking for real relationships here, not one-night-stands. Stretch the definition of love interest too far and your answer will be marked incorrect.)
  16. S: Time for the unsung heroes: Who is the best “civilian” character in the MCU?
  17. S: What is the single worst movie in the MCU?
  18. S: Disney acquires the rights to the X-Men, but Hugh Jackman doesn’t want to reprise his role as Wolverine. Which actor should get cast in the role of an MCU Logan?
  19. S: What is the best trilogy in the MCU?
  20. R: Name an Infinity Stone.
  21. S: BONUS QUESTION (NO SLAM DUNKS ALLOWED): This bonus question is a real question, but hidden. If the question was revealed, all sheep would give the same answer, as the question is asking for a fact, not an opinion, and there is only one correct answer. Using the time stone, look into the future where the question is revealed, and give your answer here. Scoring will be handled as usual (the sheepier your answer, the higher your score), BUT if you successfully predicted the right answer to the question, your score for this question will be doubled.

Last edited by Mr. Flix; 05-22-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movie Talk (Reverse) Sheep: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Answers sent.
Old 05-17-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Although I've only seen two or three of these superhero movies, I'll be submitting answers because, hey, someone's got to be at the bottom.
Old 05-17-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Will submit bad answers soon. Like Crocker, I've only seen some of these movies.
Old 05-17-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Yay! I'm in as soon as I remember to fill in some answers!
Old 05-17-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

I’ll get answers in soon.
Old 05-18-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

This should be fun!

Answers submitted.
Old 05-18-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

answers sent.
Old 05-18-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For number 9, I assume answers only match if you pick the right character and movie combination?
Old 05-18-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

My answers have been submitted.
Old 05-18-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
For number 9, I assume answers only match if you pick the right character and movie combination?
Correct.
Old 05-18-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Breaking news from the MCU as Disney drops yet another director!

SheepFilm reports:

After helming two successful Sheeperhero games, Abob Teff is reportedly out for S3. He had been working on development of the next Sheeperhero game set in the Marvel Sheepamatic Universe. The unnamed game had initially been slated for a spring release, but was delayed till summer under the speculative titles "Woolvengers: Infinity Sheers" or "Alpacavengers: Age of Wooltron". The delays were for unspecified reasons, but rumor had it that Abob had some unseemly ties to Movie Pass and that was causing the game to come along at a slower pace than Disney wanted. Today brings the shocking revelation that Abob Teff is out and Mr. Flix has released the much anticipated sequel game. Mr. Flix held on to several of the original questions AT had developed but still bringing a fresh new take to the genre game.

(Answers submitted! )

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-18-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Breaking news from the MCU as Disney drops yet another director!

SheepFilm reports:

After helming two successful Sheeperhero games, Abob Teff is reportedly out for S3. He had been working on development of the next Sheeperhero game set in the Marvel Sheepamatic Universe. The unnamed game had initially been slated for a spring release, but was delayed till summer under the speculative titles "Woolvengers: Infinity Sheers" or "Alpacavengers: Age of Wooltron". The delays were for unspecified reasons, but rumor had it that Abob had some unseemly ties to Movie Pass and that was causing the game to come along at a slower pace than Disney wanted. Today brings the shocking revelation that Abob Teff is out and Mr. Flix has released the much anticipated sequel game. Mr. Flix held on to several of the original questions AT had developed but still bringing a fresh new take to the genre game.

(Answers submitted! )
Um, forgive me? Maybe you can direct the sequel.
Old 05-19-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

You’re good!
Old 05-19-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Answers submitted
Old 05-20-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I'm really fuzzy on this question :

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

The Questions

• S: Name a character that has appeared in an MCU movie that did not have their name (or their team’s name) in the title. Give the name of the character AND the title of the movie in which they appeared.
  • Is the question asking for a character or a movie? If two players mention the same character, but different movies that character appears in, do they count together or separately? Does this have to be a character whose name has NEVER appeared in a MCU movie or one who appears in a team up movie as well as a movie with their name or their team's name?

It's a pretty confusingly-worded question.

I also am PMing you about scoring for Question 6.
    Old 05-20-18, 07:52 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Submitted my answers.
    Old 05-21-18, 08:09 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
    Is the question asking for a character or a movie? If two players mention the same character, but different movies that character appears in, do they count together or separately? Does this have to be a character whose name has NEVER appeared in a MCU movie or one who appears in a team up movie as well as a movie with their name or their team's name?
    I'm looking for a character having a cameo/appearance/guest starring role in a movie that doesn't have their name in the title. It doesn't have to be their first appearance. Think Wonder Woman in Batman v. Superman.

So I'm looking for a single character in a specific movie. Players must match both the character and the movie to get points.
    Old 05-21-18, 08:26 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

We have 11 players so far. Hoping to get closer to 20 before I close the game for answers.
    Old 05-21-18, 08:31 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

Answers assembled and sent, thanks!
    Old 05-21-18, 02:37 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Working on my answers!!!!
    Old 05-21-18, 04:44 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Already regretting my answers!!!!
    Old 05-21-18, 06:31 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
    Already regretting my answers!!!!
    Feel free to resubmit. I'm flexible. Just send a whole new list to make it easy.
    Old 05-21-18, 06:50 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

How long do I have, Mr. Flix? I like thinking for a few days (and procrastinating) if I'm able to.
    Old 05-21-18, 07:14 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
    How long do I have, Mr. Flix? I like thinking for a few days (and procrastinating) if I'm able to.
    No rush. I'm thinking of running it beginning next Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.