Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Grant (D: Spielberg) S: DiCaprio -- Ulysses S. Grant biopic

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 03:51 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg and Leonardo DiCaprio are in early discussions to re-team on an epic biopic of Ulysses S. Grant that DiCaprio and Appian Way partner Jeniffer Davisson are producing at Lionsgate. I’m told that Spielberg wants to direct DiCaprio in that role in their first collaboration since the 2002 drama Catch Me If You Can.

Lionstate and Appian Way last November acquired movie rights to Grant, the bestselling Ron Chernow biography that is being adapted by David James Kelly. The writer just worked for Appian Way and Lionsgate on Robin Hood, the Otto Bathurst-directed that stars Taron Egerton in the starring role.
Pinning down a time when these two titans will work together is always a challenge. As Deadline revealed last January, Spielberg set Indiana Jones and West Side Story to be his next two films as his followup to The Post and Ready Player One. DiCaprio, who took time off after the arduous shoot that won him the Best Actor Oscar in The Revenant, next stars in the Quentin Tarantino-directed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. DiCaprio and Davisson are developing several big star vehicles including the Leonardo Da Vinci project based on the Walter Isaacson book which Paramount set in a seven figure deal as Appian Way moved its deal to the studio. Appian Way and Paramount also have a Teddy Roosevelt film that Scott Bloom is scripting for Martin Scorsese to direct. Separately, there is also a possible collaboration with Scorsese on the David Grann book Killers of the Flower Moon which has a script by Eric Roth for Imperative Entertainment.

Despite this, sources labeled the Grant project a priority. The Penguin Press book has a high pedigree. Chernow is the Pulitzer Prize winning author of Washington: A Life, whose Alexander Hamilton was the inspiration for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Tony winning musical Hamilton. Chernow is exec producer of Grant.

It provides Spielberg with another interesting way to explore the Civil War, ground he covered in Lincoln. Grant was one of the most complicated military leaders-turned politicians in American history. Down on his luck with failing businesses and a resignation from the army amid accusations of drunkenness, Grant enjoyed a rousing second act as Abraham Lincoln’s most trusted general. He won the battle of Shiloh and the Vicksburg campaign, and defeated the legendary Southern Confederate general Robert E. Lee. His military genius propelled him to two terms in the White House. He was a champion for black Americans and worked to crush the Ku Klux Klan, even as there were scandals involving administration’s leaders. Grant had EKG-like highs and lows even after his presidency, seeing his fortune swindled on Wall Street but resuscitating himself working with Mark Twain on his critically acclaimed memoirs.
http://deadline.com/2018/05/steven-s...te-1202393444/
Old 05-17-18, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Grant (D: Spielberg) S: DiCaprio -- Ulysses S. Grant biopic

Spielberg needs to jump off the US History movie train for a while.
Old 05-17-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Spielberg needs to jump off the US History movie train for a while.
I'd rather watch this than another Geriatric Indiana Jones film or a West Side Story remake.
Old 05-17-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I guess we'll finally find out who is buried in Grant's tomb.
Old 05-17-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Aidan Quinn made a credible Grant in the otherwise not-so-credible JONAH HEX.

No matter how impressive Spielberg's credits as a maker of historical films may be, DiCaprio will NOT make a credible Grant.

Grant actually looks more like Robin Williams here:

Old 05-17-18, 06:11 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Decker
I'd rather watch this than another Geriatric Indiana Jones film or a West Side Story remake.
I'd rather not.
Old 05-17-18, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Aidan Quinn made a credible Grant in the otherwise not-so-credible JONAH HEX.

No matter how impressive Spielberg's credits as a maker of historical films may be, DiCaprio will NOT make a credible Grant.

Grant actually looks more like Robin Williams here:

he was pretty good as Hoover imo. could pull it off. is he also Teddy Roosevelt, directed by Scorsese? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7428530...=nm_flmg_act_1
Old 05-17-18, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Pipe dream as Scorsese is winding down. I doubt he'll make Roosevelt.
Old 05-18-18, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I doubt he'll make Roosevelt.
That would be unfortunate.
Leo is PERFECT for TR.

I can also see him doing justice to Grant.