Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you enjoy seeing actors reprise roles from a decade(or more) hiatus?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Does seeing an actor reprise a notabole role after a hiatus excite you?
Yes
57.89%
No
5.26%
Eh. Some do, some don't. It just depends.
36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have Jamie Lee Curtis playing Laurie Strode again. Stallone playing John Rambo and Rocky Balboa again. Dolph Lundgren playing Ivan Drago again. Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and the late Carrie Fisher playing Luke, Han, and Lea again. Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones again. Arnold coming back to play The Terminator. Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves coming back to play Bill and Ted again.

Even on the small screen its happening. You have Billy Zabka and Ralph Macchio playing Daniel Larusso and Johnny Lawrence again. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson returned to playing Mulder and Scully.

It seems like we are in a time where nostalgia is being catered too and as fun as it is to see, is it becoming overkill? I freely confess that I'm part of the problem, as even though I know its not the same, I still get excited about seeing actors return to roles I love(unless its Bruce Willis playing John McClane again).
Old 05-17-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Do you enjoy seeing actors reprise roles from a decade(or more) hiatus?

It depends on how they are written. But generally, I like the update.
Old 05-17-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

It depends who's in charge behind the camera, and if there is anything interesting say for an actor to continue an iconic character. Everything Sly Stallone has done in his later career (Rocky Balboa, Creed, Rambo) have all been excellent movies. I felt sad watching Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford in Disney's Star Wars movies. I still want to see Blade Runner 2049 as I've heard its good.
Old 05-17-18, 01:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I enjoyed seeing Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.
Old 05-17-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

It depends on the movie. Sometimes it reeks of desperation and other times it works.

Paul Newman in The Color of Money or Harrison Ford's one-movie return in The Force Awakens are good examples.
Old 05-17-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

This was on TCM yesterday. 20 years later, Rooney was even creepier than he was in the 1930s Andy Hardy movies.

Old 05-17-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I answered yes. I'm more likely to be excited about an actor reprising the role than someone else stepping in.
Old 05-19-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

There’s not really a clear cut answer on this. Sometimes a reprisal in a sequel years down the road works and other times it’s better off leaving what’s in the past there.
Old 05-19-18, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

There are so many different moving pieces to consider when answering this question. The short answer however. Yes, if the movie is good. No, if the previous piece had a great definitive ending. I.E The Office. Ricky Gervais managed quite possibly the greatest ending in tv history. The follow up movie "Life On the Road" was completely unnecessary. Although it was a little more palatable not having Dawn, Tim and Gareth make an appearence.

The other side to this is that for 15 years I dreamed of Ghostbusters 3. Literally. I would have dreams about personally convincing Bill Murray to sign on and that I was one of the writers. However since Harold Ramis passed and since the waking nightmare that was the remake, I just pray they leave it alone forever.
Old 05-20-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
The other side to this is that for 15 years I dreamed of Ghostbusters 3. Literally. I would have dreams about personally convincing Bill Murray to sign on and that I was one of the writers. However since Harold Ramis passed and since the waking nightmare that was the remake, I just pray they leave it alone forever.
They keep threatening to make a Beverly Hills Cop 4. Why? The original idea of having a Detroit cop mixing it up with the swank Beverly Hills types was a novel idea in 1984. In the age of the internet and the world becoming a smaller place, that whole fish-out-of-water concept just wouldn't work.

Then again, I didn't think we needed another Rocky sequel either. I guess there's still some hope.
Old 05-20-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

BHC 4 would most likely suck.

But fish out of water stories can still work even if the internet exists. If the original BHC was made today, do you think a guy like Axel Foley would spend hours on Trivago or Yelp before his trip or something? His character would still go to the city with no preparation and laugh at the ridiculous outfits. It’s all in the personalities.