Reload this Page >

Opinions Needed: X-Box One or PS4

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-07-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

So, I traded in a whole bunch of stuff to a local video game store, enough that I can either buy an XBox One or PS4 and while I'm leaning toward the latter as they seem to have a better selection of exclusives, I did want others' thoughts. I'm not much into multi-player gaming and tend to enjoy sports games, though I don't mind some shooter games either.
Old 05-07-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Re: Opinions Needed: X-Box One or PS4

Wow, that will always be a big debate.

I do think that the PS4 has a much larger and better selection of exclusives. While I have a ton of games for both systems, the ONLY Xbox One exclusives that I really like are the Forza and Forza Horizon games (and there are plenty of other multi-system racing games that are almost as good). The PS4 on the other hand has two Uncharted games, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, the upcoming Spider-Man game and tons of third-party exclusive games (mostly from Japan).

Now if you like Sports games a lot, it should be noted that only the Xbox has EA Access which gives you unlimited access to the older EA Sports games (like everything 9-11 months after the release date) for a single reasonable price of $29.99. Very nice deal.
Also only the Xbox One has backwards compatibility with last generation games. Not a big deal to me anymore, but maybe to some. Works with discs and digital games, but not all of them.

The biggest factor might be the controller. I'm very comfortable with both ones but some folks here seem to dislike the configuration of the PS4 Dual Shock 4. I would recommend playing some with both controllers to see how they feel to you.

Also you need to know if you have or will get a 4K TV soon. Then you'd probably want an Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro -- both are more powerful and capable of 4K gaming. Only the Xbox One X (and Xbox One S as well) are capable of playing UHD discs though.
Old 05-07-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me, the gaming system will only be used to play games and in a spare bedroom and will only be playing games. I have an old XBox 360 that kind of still works, so I'll keep that around for any old games. I did have a look at what is backwards compatible and what I have is not.

As for controllers, if I do go with the PS4, I probably would get used to it, so probably not a big deal.

I'm not a big graphics guy, and basically "buying" (as I said, with in-store credits, I won't be paying out of pocket) as newer games are only on either platform now and there are a few I'm interested in. Knowing that the upcoming Spider-Man came will be a PS4 exclusive, seems like I'm leaning even more in that direction.
Old 05-07-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

As an Xbox One owner I’d say to go with a PS4. Better exclusive titles, hardware is a bit better. Overall I wish it’s what I had gone with it rather than the One. I’d say a Switch over either though.
Old 05-07-18, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what you're describing - a standalone console without any ties to a previous library or platform history - PS4 all the way. It has decisively won this generation and will continue to have the most games, the most exclusives, the most support period. It doesn't hurt that it's a stronger console, either.

I personally prefer the Xbox platform but that's due to many years of controller preference and a whole lot of backward-compatible stuff I won't let go. Without those factors, I wouldn't point anyone towards Xbox right now.
Old 05-07-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Even though the Xbox One X is my "primary" console to use as an owner of all the major consoles, I agree with everyone else that if you only had one console to purchase and not interested in backwards compatibility or UHD playback that the PS4 is the way to go. Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War are all amazing.
Old 05-07-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I have both consoles, and I use the X1 more often but that's in no small part because I got it first and have more of the current-gen games on it. Plus I do use Games with Gold and backward compatibility. I got the PS4 for Uncharted, and have always found the PS consoles more reliable for streaming, if you end up using it for that.
Old 05-07-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Even though the Xbox One X is my "primary" console to use as an owner of all the major consoles, I agree with everyone else that if you only had one console to purchase and not interested in backwards compatibility or UHD playback that the PS4 is the way to go. Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War are all amazing.
I feel the exact same way.

However, I can see GamePass being a huge selling point for the Xbox One, despite the XB1's comparatively lackluster exclusives. If you're not familiar, TheMovieman, GamePass is a subscription service for the Xbox where you pay $10 a month and get all-you-can-eat games from a pretty long list. Not everything you'll want to play will be on that list, but you won't be at a loss for games, and every first-party title going forward will be a part of it. You can see the current list of games at https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-07-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

By comparison, the Playstation version is basically just streaming versions of the games, not actual downloads like GamePass.

But I also prefer the Playstation 4 for actual games -- Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and God of War are my favorites of this gen. I think the Xbox One X is a great piece of hardware for home entertainment though.
Old 05-07-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks all, seems like the PS4 is the way to go.
Old 05-07-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Well, if you have a 4K TV or plan to get one (you didn't mention if you did or not) the XBox One S or X plays 4K UHDs. The PS4 is not 4K ready yet. I have both consoles (the XBox One S to be exact)

Also, one big downside to the "free" exclusive games on the PS4 is that you need to be a a continuously yearly member of the PSN Network ($60/year) If you don't renew it every year, the games will be unplayable. Not sure if that applies to the XBox One exclusives.
Old 05-07-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

That has applied to Xbox Live Games with Gold, as well since launch day.
Old 05-07-18, 09:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i like the X1 and could care less about PSanything. so shoot me...
Old 05-07-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Uh-huh. Check out the Spider-Man (PS4) thread.

so is this like a Sony exclusive and will never go to XBOX or other platforms?

yeah, it does look good. haven't played a Spidey game in a long time. last time was probably on GameCube, Spider-Man 2, i think.
Old 05-07-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally want to start a thread
"What videogame weapon would you shoot OldBoy with in real life if given the opportunity?"
Old 05-07-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget about the God of War thread.

so, how long till on Playstation Now and i can play on my tv?
But yeah, like others have said, PS4 (or PS4 Pro) is your best bet. And that is also from someone with a Switch and Xbox One X. They have had the best exclusive games this generation by far.
Old 05-07-18, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Uh-huh. Check out the Spider-Man (PS4) thread.
so, i'm interested in some of their games, doesn't mean i would ever get another console for it. i'm perfectly content, but some of PS's exclusives are very enticing. i have PS Now or whatever on my TV and controller so whenever it goes there, i'll play it perhaps...
Old 05-07-18, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by musick
I totally want to start a thread
"What videogame weapon would you shoot OldBoy with in real life if given the opportunity?"
wow. that's like a public threat. not sure if the mods are down with that or you know, the law...
Old 05-07-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, if you have a 4K TV or plan to get one (you didn't mention if you did or not) the XBox One S or X plays 4K UHDs. The PS4 is not 4K ready yet. I have both consoles (the XBox One S to be exact)

Also, one big downside to the "free" exclusive games on the PS4 is that you need to be a a continuously yearly member of the PSN Network ($60/year) If you don't renew it every year, the games will be unplayable. Not sure if that applies to the XBox One exclusives.
I have a 4K TV but the room I'm going to play this on does not and will not. So, I'm a bit confused about the "free" exclusive games part. Any game I get I will be buying.

Should be known, as if you can't already tell, I'm not a big gamer, I'm getting this because I won't have to pay anything out of pocket and figured it's a good opportunity to move on from my XBox 360 (save for the 2-3 games I'll still play every so often). I will only be using this to play games, already have a standard Blu-ray player which I like (has apps I use for YouTube since my old TV doesn't have Internet access) and even if I were to move this to the main room, I already have a good 4K player so don't need this to play 4K discs.
Old 05-07-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I have a 4K TV but the room I'm going to play this on does not and will not. So, I'm a bit confused about the "free" exclusive games part. Any game I get I will be buying.
Both the Xbox One and PS4 require you to pay to play online (with some exceptions).

If you pay for that service (on either platform), you can also download games for free every month. But you can ignore 'em if you want. I add them to my account every month (or twice a month in the case of Xbox), but I only play maybe one or two a year.
Old 05-07-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Should be known, as if you can't already tell, I'm not a big gamer, I'm getting this because I won't have to pay anything out of pocket and figured it's a good opportunity to move on from my XBox 360 (save for the 2-3 games I'll still play every so often). I will only be using this to play games, already have a standard Blu-ray player which I like (has apps I use for YouTube since my old TV doesn't have Internet access).
Online gaming subscription XBox Live and Playstation network gives you free games every month. But they cost $60 MSRP per year for membership each. There are occasional discounts for both. Sounds like something you wouldn't really need or utilize based on what you said.
Old 05-08-18, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

So you care... ??
Old 05-08-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

It all boils down to the games...and if you play online with friends. I had a the 360 and ended up with the PS4 (launch version) and have no regrets. Still have the 360 and still see friends playing....I have a gaming PC and go thru XBL on it.

In terms of exclusives which again depends on what games you like....Sony is really doing a great job as it's been mentioned with the like of Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Last of Us, Infamous and the God of War series which the new one has gathered stellar reviews.

Looking back, what drove the 360 were similar exclusives with Halo and Gears of War....which sadly Microsoft just let slip away. Those games were some of the best times I ever had. I don't think they've come close to equaling that draw on gamers with anything else since.

Hardware...people can argue and point out the pros & cons forever but both are worthy enough and a upgrade over previous generation. The one advantage is the new XB One X has a bit more power and costs also. I probably have seen more Xbox sales along with yearly XBL subscriptions than the PS4
Old 05-08-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, and if I had to choose to keep only one, I would go with the PS4. I feel like the PS4 layout is much more user friendly and Xbox One.
Old 05-08-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Go with the PS4.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.