Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Genesis Mini announced

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Sega Genesis Mini announced

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17...lassic-edition

To commemorate the console’s upcoming 30th anniversary, Sega took the opportunity to unveil its own miniature “classic edition” version of the legendary 16-bit Genesis (or, as it was called in the rest of the world, the Mega Drive). The so-called “Mega Drive Mini” will be released in 2018, in Japan at least, Sega announced at a fan event today.

This could be a change in direction from the company’s long-standing relationship with AtGames, whose Sega Genesis Flashback console tried, and failed, to match Nintendo’s efforts last year.

Just last week, Sega’s COO said the company was interested in getting back into the hardware business, following the explosive success of Nintendo’s classic reissues. Sega famously exited the hardware business after the failure of the Sega Dreamcast in 2001.

As promising as that sounds, the source interview linked appears to suggest that Sega is simply interested in distributing the AtGames Mega Drive Flashback which, per the review above ... is not great. The model in the image above, with a cleaner version shared by Sega on Twitter which you can see below, don’t resemble the AtGames variant. For starters, it’s smaller than the Flashback console, missing a full-sized cartridge post and adding the console’s original volume slider.

Of course, we don’t know many details about the Mega Drive Mini; the hardware quality, what games will be included, the software emulation powering the games, whether Sega plans to release it in the west, or whether it’s just a redesign of the AtGame units all remain a mystery for now. We’ve reached out to Sega for details and will update this post accordingly.

This is from the Verified Sega Japan Twitter:

and this is the loose translation according to Google what the text on the Tweet says:

30th anniversary of "MegaDrive" birth! "MegaDrive Mini" (provisional name) Decided to be released in 2018! A lot of memorable masterpieces games can be enjoyed with this one!

# Sega Hex # Mega Drive # Mega Drive 30th Anniversary
Old 04-14-18, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Sega Genesis Mini announced

Will this be better than their previous half dozen attempts at something similar?
Old 04-14-18, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Will this be better than their previous half dozen attempts at something similar?
You seem to be mistaken. Sega has never directly released a version. The others were released by third parties under license.
Old 04-14-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The Sega Genesis era was one of the greatest eras in video game history. The upgrade from Nintendo 8-bit to Genesis 16-bit was staggering. Stereo sound, digitized voices, background scrolling. System at the time felt close to the arcade machines.

I think I would grab one of these up its too cute.

Ghouls-n-Ghosts by Capcom was a launch game. That game took Genesis to greater heights. Followed by Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star II, Sonic The Hedgehog, Streets Of Rage. So many classics. 👍
Old 04-14-18, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

It’ll probably include the same games from the game collection I have for PS3. Several games I wish it would have but won’t are Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, NFL Football ‘94, RBI baseball, and Sega had a really cool X-men game but I don’t remember the exact title of it.
Old 04-14-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You seem to be mistaken. Sega has never directly released a version. The others were released by third parties under license.
But am I mistaken?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17...lassic-edition

As promising as that sounds, the source interview linked appears to suggest that Sega is simply interested in distributing the AtGames Mega Drive Flashback which, per the review above ... is not great. The model in the image above, with a cleaner version shared by Sega on Twitter which you can see below, don’t resemble the AtGames variant. For starters, it’s smaller than the Flashback console, missing a full-sized cartridge post and adding the console’s original volume slider.

Of course, we don’t know many details about the Mega Drive Mini; the hardware quality, what games will be included, the software emulation powering the games, whether Sega plans to release it in the west, or whether it’s just a redesign of the AtGame units all remain a mystery for now. We’ve reached out to Sega for details and will update this post accordingly.
Old 04-14-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Sega had a really cool X-men game but I don’t remember the exact title of it.
They released a game in 1993 just called "X-Men", I played the hell out of that game, it was pretty cool.
Old 04-14-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh. While Sega themselves haven’t released a product like this they’ve basically allowed a bunch of other companies to use their brand and release similar products. I had a Genesis as a kid and I liked it a lot but I’m not very excited about this.
Old 04-14-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
They released a game in 1993 just called "X-Men", I played the hell out of that game, it was pretty cool.
Yep, that's the game, it was so much fun. Due to rights issues, it would probably never be included on this mini console.
Old 04-14-18, 11:43 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

They need to license all of the classic EA games like Road Rash, Desert Strike, and their early sports titles like Bulls Vs Lakers and the original Madden. Classic shooters like Thunder Force 3 or Gaiares would be great too
Old 04-14-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^NHL '94 too, the way you could body check guys was so much fun in that game.
Old 04-14-18, 01:15 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I really think that's the sort of thing that would help this have an edge on items like the NES Classic or SNES Classic. They didn't do licensing for some of those classics and I get that costs money, but feels like a missed opportunity. If Sega invests in that, instead, not only would it look good it could spur Nintendo to follow suit for another round of classics.

As for the Genesis, it really wasn't on my radar as a kid. A friend or two had it and claimed it was better than anything, but there simply wasn't all that much clamor for it in my town.
Old 04-14-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it was confirmed that this is based on the Atgames emulation source that keeps getting released each year and is basically a small version of that. So Sega is pretty hands off. Disappointing and stupid as Sega is basically leaving money on the table by not doing this themselves.
Old 04-14-18, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, very slim chance this even approaches the quality of the Nintendo minis. But then Sega hasn't been operating in the same realm as Nintendo for over a decade.
Old 04-14-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
They need to license all of the classic EA games like Road Rash, Desert Strike, and their early sports titles like Bulls Vs Lakers and the original Madden. Classic shooters like Thunder Force 3 or Gaiares would be great too
The amount of Road Rash 2 & Bulls Vs. Blazers we played during college was ridiculous.

I always played as the Suns and KJ could hit three pointers like no one else in that game. And Road Rash was never dull. You could get into serious arguments over those two damn games.

And of course the uncensored Mortal Kombat games were big favorites as well.
Old 04-14-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Just give me Toejam and Earl and I'll be happy.
Old 04-15-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AT Games confirmed on Twitter that they’re making this version. Since they’ve made all the recent Sega plug and plays, I’ll assume this is shitty unless reviews are great.

Maybe the company that has screwed this up like a dozen times will finally come through this time.
Old 04-15-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

All the EA games rocked back then... Lasorda Baseball and Evander Holyfield boxing was amazing too.
Old 04-17-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
AT Games confirmed on Twitter that they’re making this version.
Uggggh
Old 09-19-18, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/se.../1100-6461864/

Delayed until sometime in 2019