Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mad Max

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Mad Max

That honest trailer has some truth, but it's harsh. This game is not a rushed piece of crap. It's an enjoyable ride and the fight and driving mechanics work well and are a lot of fun. Sure there is a lot of collecting, but that's the same in many games these days. At least the collecting here makes sense and fits the world.

I completed the main story today and ended up as Road Warrior level 75. There is very little for me to collect and only a few races to do. I will keep playing, but not as intensely. MGS gets properly started tomorrow.
Old 09-19-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah, I don't see how they could expect a game like the movie and get more than just a couple of hours out of it. How much straight chasing do you want? It works for movies but not for games.
Old 09-20-15, 12:50 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Yeah, I don't see how they could expect a game like the movie and get more than just a couple of hours out of it. How much straight chasing do you want? It works for movies but not for games.
90% of what you can complain about in this game you can skip. It does not even punish you that much, since you level up just fine and get plenty of scrap without it. You can have an amazing 20-30 hour experience if you want with this game, and only do a few boring things....or you could put 90 hours into it and do everything...I ended up around 38-40 and I am very happy with my experience.
Old 09-26-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I love the game, and it's very fun. But it should be called Mad Max: Loading Times.

That and terrible freezing issues. Talking to someone about intel. Freeze. Try and clear a camp. Freeze. Loading screen. Freeze. Race time. Freeze.

Oh and don't even get me started on the amount of other bugs....

and the Gastown race with
Spoiler:
Stank Gum
is the biggest joke in gaming since the Riddler challenges in Arkham Knight. It's impossible to stay alive let alone catch him and kill him.

I can't wait to trade in this pos. What a shame, too. It was a fun ride.
Old 09-27-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree load times can be a bit long, but only had the game freeze once.

And I always wonder how good other players are at games compared to me, and how much patience they have. The Gas Town race I had a few tries at before I beat it. For a start I managed to always lock onto him as soon as the race started and hit him with a rocket. Just constantly racing well, getting to know the track and when enemies appear and getting those shots in on straight sections. Persistence is the key.
Old 09-28-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rented the film last night and almost rented the game as well. If I HAD rented the game I probably would of turrned the movie off before it was over and played the game instead.
Old 09-28-15, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

didnt like fury road or what?
Old 09-28-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
All of it is fine with me. I had a blast with Split/Second on PS3. I would have loved a Mad Max like that
Old 11-02-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put about 30 hours into this now and I feel like it's not going anywhere. Does story kick in at some point? I'm doing every "story" mission that comes up but everything is just another "go over here, get the thing" quest.
Old 11-02-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I've put about 30 hours into this now and I feel like it's not going anywhere. Does story kick in at some point? I'm doing every "story" mission that comes up but everything is just another "go over here, get the thing" quest.
That's literally the same point I was at when I abandoned this one. The story never really goes into high gear and the missions just continue to be fetch / resource quests. I'll usually charge through something if I've paid for it but I abandoned this one two main missions from the end.
Old 11-02-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I am about halfway through it or so and gave up on it over a month ago. Now, I plan on getting back to it at some point but there are also other games I have planned to play again and never have.
Old 11-11-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally finished this last night. The last two hours are pretty great. It just needs about 20 hours cut from the midsection.
Old 11-12-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

This game will be at Walmart's Black Friday for $15.00....as will Dying Light and Far Cry 4 in case some are interested.
Old 11-12-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
This game will be at Walmart's Black Friday for $15.00....as will Dying Light and Far Cry 4 in case some are interested.
No, it will be $25. Still a good deal though.

Not sure if I want to buy it though with all the unplayed/unfinished games I've picked up recently
Old 11-12-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Not sure if I want to buy it though with all the unplayed/unfinished games I've picked up recently
Don't disappoint me Decker. Can never have too many games. Especially cheap ones.
Old 11-12-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

\
My bad and stand corrected....though Far Cry 4 and Dying Light are $15.00
Old 11-14-15, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
\
My bad and stand corrected....though Far Cry 4 and Dying Light are $15.00
you fucking tease....
Old 01-03-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Late to the party, but I downloaded this during PSN's BF flash-sale for $7, and finally started it the other day.

Besides being the best sub-$10 I've ever spent on a game, waiting this long means they patched all the major issues - I haven't had any frame-rate or loading issues, so far, it's been stable as hell.

As to the game, I came in with lowered expectations, but it's been fun as fuck (I'm barely 20% in), but it's so addictive, the constant upgrades and looting makes it one of those games where you sit down, and before you know it, it's time for bed. I like how they've tried to make the camps and the each area of the map look and feel different, even though it's really just one big wasteland.

My one issue are the storms. They look/sound cool and all, but I'm fucked if I know what to do and where to go when one hits. The game says to get to shelter, but a storm hits so quick that there's no time to get to shelter. And the one time I did make it to a shelter, debris came in from the one open door and killed me quicker than the times I was stuck outside!

I do see it getting repetitive down the road, and not as fun as it is now, but in the meantime, I'm having a blast with it.
Old 01-10-17, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a good game that I think got over looked and undeserved bad reviews. I still put the game on from time to time just to drive around, take on convoys and get into fights. The mechanics of the game make it a lot of fun to play.
Old 04-04-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Just starting trying this tonight, since it's free with PS+ ... I THINK I like it, but I was surprised how much driving there is at least to start, and I'm really not a fan of the driving combat. Is there a lot of it? Is that mandatory? I just drove past the cars I was supposed to blow up so far.
Old 04-05-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still think this was a very solid game, and a shame that its probably unlikely we will ever see a sequel. Unfortunately for you, there is a significant amount of driving combat, but thats only to be expected from a game based on Mad max. Having said that, i think the driving in this game is a hell of a lot of fun. Taking down convoys and especially once you get some decent upgrades. The fight and drive mechanics of this game were excellent. Gonna have to boot this up again at some point.
Old 04-05-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

It's no Interstate '76, but still a decent game.