Reload this Page >

Sea of Thieves (Xbox, PC) 3/20/18

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-09-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Thought it was time to start a thread about this game. As most are aware, it will be available on Day 1 via Game Pass subscription.

The final Beta is now live this weekend. You can download it for the Xbox here.

Final Sea Of Thieves Open Beta Live For All On Xbox One And PC
Yo-ho-ho!

Last updated by Tamoor Hussain on March 9, 2018 at 11:56AM 32 Comments

Now Playing: Sea of Thieves Final Open Beta
Spoiler:
<iframe src="https://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6443103/" width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Sea of Thieves developer Rare has announced another beta for its upcoming multiplayer pirate game. This beta will be the final one before the game's release date in a few weeks and is open to everyone on Xbox One and PC. It's live now and runs until March 11 at 2 AM PT / 5 AM ET / 10 AM GMT / 9 PM AEST.

During a developer update about the final beta, executive producer Joe Neate explained that the studio wants to have a greater number of players trying the game out than before, and in order to do so it has opened up the trial to everyone. Additionally, a number of new features have been included in the new beta.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eyaxAo4rd-c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first of them is the Merchant Alliance, which is a faction that tasks players with capturing animals in exchange for rewards. Another new feature being tested in the beta is Skeleton Forts, which creates the opportunity for forts in the world to be occupied by skeletons. These special forts offer greater rewards for those who clear them out, but they're signified by large clouds hovering above them that are visible to all players. Naturally, this means you may have to battle other players as well as skeletons for riches.

Neate emphasised that there could be issues with the beta as the studio is testing the game and its features, and inviting a much larger amount of people to put the game's servers through its paces. If problems do arise, Rare says it may put temporary blocks on new players coming in to even out the experience. The services team will also be working on-the-fly to resolve any other issues that come up.

The Sea of Thieves release date is March 20. It will be one of the first big tests of Microsoft's ambitious Game Pass expansion, which gives subscribers access to a suite of games including all first-party titles on day-and-date of release. While you're waiting to explore the briny deep, check out 10 reasons we're excited and why we think it has such potential.
Old 03-09-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Sea of Thieves (Xbox, PC) 3/20/18

Sweet, I'll check it out this weekend
Old 03-10-18, 10:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

anyone try this out yet? how is it? how does it look?
Old 03-10-18, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone try this out yet? how is it? how does it look?
Why not download the beta this weekend while it's free and available and try it out for yourself?
Old 03-10-18, 11:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Why not download the beta this weekend while it's free and available and try it out for yourself?
i did, maybe if i have time. was just curious what others thought if played. no harm no foul...
Old 03-10-18, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i did, maybe if i have time. was just curious what others thought if played. no harm no foul...
Oh sure, I just wanted to make sure you knew you had an opportunity to play tonight. I did mention that above, but well..... sometimes I need to further clarify stuff.

I played a little this afternoon. Wow, it is an involved game. You need teamwork and you need to know what you're doing. I was really lucky in that I was with some very polite and very helpful guys. You sail a schooner in a team of four. Now this isn't like sailing in Assassin's Creed. You have to raise the anchor, trim the sails and most importantly have someone navigate on a map and communicate with the guy manning the wheel upstairs. It helps to have a man on the bow watching for rocks and other guys as well. Communication is absolutely key. You can't really do it on your own. (I understand that you actually can sail a small boat by yourself but lord help you if you run into other players; you're good as dead).
It's definitely a different sort of multiplayer game and one that might be a blast with a regular crew of four Friends (who all have microphones). Playing with random people? I just don't know.
At least they added a lot of Game Pass members so there should be a robust online community. (BTW everyone I played with on my crew was playing on a PC. Definitely seamless cross-platform gaming.

The look is pretty but cartoony and immediately recognizable as Rare-ware.
Old 03-11-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I unfortunately had the opposite experience. Playing with randoms without headsets. And since this was my first time playing, I had no idea what to do. So I kept getting thrown in jail and just quitting out. Then thankfully I got grouped with a decent bunch that explained a bit. Played for an hour or so and it was alright. Not sure what the full game is, but I hope it's not as repetitive as the beta.
Old 03-12-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played a few more hours and I feel about the same. Although it was nice having an idea what to do the second time. Ended up getting matched with a chatty bunch that really knew what to do. We ended up hitting about ten islands and getting a shit load of treasure. The only unfortunate part is we didn't run into anyone, which is I thought would be really fun. I wanted to have a huge battle with another group. I still don't know what the ultimate goal of the game is. There didn't really seem like a progression or a story, you just keep getting missions and going to the islands for treasure, and that was about it. Lastly it is a very beautiful and peaceful game at times, something about sailing at sunset with some music playing was very chill and at night with the moon reflecting on the ocean was pretty awesome.

Did anyone else get on this weekend and play?
Old 03-12-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

^^ Ugh, this game sounds like a chore. I was looking forward to it too.
Old 03-12-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

The concept of running a ship with friends is pretty cool but I don't know how I would enjoy it in practice. I get the impression this game will hard to jump in solo and really needs voice comms to get the complete experience. Is there an actual goal of the game or is it more of a sandbox?
Old 03-12-18, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is there an actual goal of the game or is it more of a sandbox?
It's a sandbox full of actual sand.
Old 03-12-18, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ Ugh, this game sounds like a chore. I was looking forward to it too.
It kind of is. I mean, it's also got the potential to be enjoyable and a lot of fun. But unless you have a Xbox Live crew, I can see it being very frustrating. I'm not much of an online gamer, but when I play with strangers, I want to be able to do my own thing without hindering others or getting judged the the group. And I don't want to feel obligated to stick around for a couple of hours when I have stuff to do in the real world. Now to be fair, I didn't play any solo sessions and maybe that isn't bad. But if I have to try my luck with a random crew every time, I doubt I'd play much.

If I had this on pre-order I would cancel it -- not because it's a bad game, just not for me. Since I have already paid for Game Pass for over a year, I will play this some at least. Maybe just solo stuff until I tire of it or get better at doing stuff.

If we put a crew together here sometime, that might be fun as well.
Old 03-12-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Welp, I have Game Pass too... so perhaps we can link up. I only got Game Pass for this game (and because it was dirt cheap). I just don't have enough time in my day to play demanding games like this for hours without bumming out my online team.
Old 03-12-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
I get the impression this game will hard to jump in solo and really needs voice comms to get the complete experience.
I honestly don't know how you would play the game solo. It was hard enough with four people. Between having someone steer the ship, having someone down stairs read off the map for directions, having someone control the sails on both sides, and having someone at the front of the boat for lookout for debris and other ships. So if you don't plan on using a mic, be prepared to have a miserable time and spending most of your time in the cell, since your team will probably end up voting you in there.
Old 03-16-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r5JIBaasuE8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't really know if this type of game is my thing, but I have MS connections that will get me a copy so i'll at least give it a try.
Old 03-19-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be downloading as soon as I can tonight through GamePass. Anyone that wants to do this a reminder my gamertag is SCHLOOB. As others have said, definitely need to have a mic for this one.
Old 03-19-18, 04:14 PM

This game comes with a Day 1 Patch :

Spoiler:
Old 03-19-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm taking advantage of the free 14-day Game Pass trial to check this out. Haven't played the beta so I have no idea if I'll like the game so this seems like the best way to try it out.
Old 03-20-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been gone from this forum for ages but I'm begging you..... Add me if you have ever this game. Playing alone sucks and random people are picks do far. Gamertag is MasterofDVD.
Old 03-20-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I honestly don't know how you would play the game solo. It was hard enough with four people. Between having someone steer the ship, having someone down stairs read off the map for directions, having someone control the sails on both sides, and having someone at the front of the boat for lookout for debris and other ships. So if you don't plan on using a mic, be prepared to have a miserable time and spending most of your time in the cell, since your team will probably end up voting you in there.
yeah, I'm out on this. I was hoping their was at least a limited solo experience possible, but there isn't. Thankful for GamePass, as I can just delete it instead of regretting a $60 purchase
Old 03-20-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't have any issues controlling the sloop on solo but it sure is a big, lonely world when playing alone. Aside from a skeleton blasting me with a cannon and whacking a couple of hissing snakes there really wasn't anything to interact with. I'm going to try multiplayer but don't have high hopes as I pretty much stopped online gaming after COD:BO. Do feel free to add me if anyone else wants to give it a whirl.
Old 03-20-18, 03:43 PM

I'm really curious as to how this game will be reviewed. No official reviews are out yet. Reviewers might find it refreshingly different or they might hate everything about it.
Old 03-20-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally stumbled on to a party in which everyone had a headset and wanted to work together which made it pretty fun. Still seems like a mostly empty world though and the missions are repetitive to say the least. Still, there was something enchanting about barreling across a darkening sea while one guy manned the helm and the other three stood on deck playing sea-shanties on their various musical instruments. There's a seed of something here. It could become good or even great if the unwashed masses or neglectful developers don't ruin it first.
Old 03-20-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Played with a buddy. Not sure it is my cup of tea. Takes forever to get somewhere. No minimap makes it horrible to track down your crew mates on an island. Sucks ass. Sailing is not fun to me but my friend loves it. Getting treasure is cool but repetitive. The enemies (so far) are all same. I can see how that is going to get boring. This is a perfect game pass game. No way I would pay for this and would be pissed if I did.
Old 03-20-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Oh one thing I didn't mention. This game is impossibly dark during the night scenes. Running on Xbox One X in 4k HDR. It's literally impossible to see anything in the game at night. Now I know part of that is the way HDR does shit, but there is nothing in-game to change the brightness of the screen. It's fucking horrible. I was literally standing next to 2017 4k 75" Sony so I could see anything in the game. Absurd.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.