Reload this Page >

Ni No Kuni 2 : Revenant King (PS4)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-05-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Just announced at the PlayStation Experience. Very excited to play this one whenever it comes out.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SpfHPS3xuhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-07-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Ni No Kuni 2 : Revenant King (PS4)

Yes!!!!!
Old 12-07-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I loved the first one...up until the tacked-on and poorly balanced zombie/White Witch stuff at the end, anyway. Very excited about the sequel, although the lack of Ghibli animation will make me sad.
Old 12-07-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I still consider the original the best looking PS3 game. The style looked so close to playing an Anime.
Old 12-07-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I loved the first one...up until the tacked-on and poorly balanced zombie/White Witch stuff at the end, anyway. Very excited about the sequel, although the lack of Ghibli animation will make me sad.
It's been a long time but the very end was added for Playstation. It wasn't part of the original game. That's why it felt kinda tacked on.

Very excited to hear this news. Day 1 purchase for sure.
Old 12-07-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

The only negative thing I could say about the first was was the need for grinding/leveling-up before most boss fights, otherwise, it was one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. Hopefully this one will be tighter and more focused, not requiring nearly as much level grinding.
Old 07-13-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 07-13-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No issues with that. It clears space up for the other 10000 fall releases.
Old 03-20-18, 09:21 AM

This comes out Friday. Reviews have been very positive with the Metacritic score at 85
Old 03-20-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This comes out Friday. Reviews have been very positive with the Metacritic score at 85
I was already really stoked for this but the Kotaku review really got me excited. I try to avoid watching videos or pre-release stuff for games I'm already going to get but I had heard they added some kingdom building to the game which had me worried. But in the Kotaku review they said it's similar to Suikoden (a game I loved) where you're recruiting people in the world to join your kingdom and they mentioned it being a lot of fun.
Old 03-20-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very excited for this one. It appears that they fixed the odd difficulty curve from the last game as well. Woo hoO!
Old 03-20-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had a preorder in with Amazon for a while now. Gonna be hard to put Monster Hunter down for a while but this will do it.
Old 03-20-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I was already really stoked for this but the Kotaku review really got me excited. I try to avoid watching videos or pre-release stuff for games I'm already going to get but I had heard they added some kingdom building to the game which had me worried. But in the Kotaku review they said it's similar to Suikoden (a game I loved) where you're recruiting people in the world to join your kingdom and they mentioned it being a lot of fun.
I was iffy on this when the first previews started making the rounds a long while back, but the more recent previews/reviews have really turned me around. I'm a little too backlogged to pick it up at launch, but I'm sure it'll be in my hands sometime this summer.
Old 03-25-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

General spoiler free impressions at the 33% mark....

The loss of studio Ghibli is readily apparent as the story is almost nonexistent. The game is also very easy, to the point that you can button mash through boss battles without worrying about health replenishment. The lack of voice exacting in some scenes is unacceptable in this day and age & frankly annoying. Finally the title is glitchy and needs heavy patchwork. I've been in the over world and had it drop to 20 FPS and have had the sound drop out altogether at certain sections.

I recommend waiting on this one. At least for a patch or two to fix things up.
Old 03-25-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981

The loss of studio Ghibli is readily apparent as the story is almost nonexistent. The game is also very easy, to the point that you can button mash through boss battles without worrying about health replenishment. The lack of voice exacting in some scenes is unacceptable in this day and age & frankly annoying. Finally the title is glitchy and needs heavy patchwork. I've been in the over world and had it drop to 20 FPS and have had the sound drop out altogether at certain sections.

Thanks for the comments....I will wait on this to drop in price and for them to release some fixes. The original on PS3 was an outright incredible game! Looking forward to playing this later this year.
Old 03-25-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Oh man, I just assumed Ghibli did this one as well. The fact that they didn't may make me never pick this up now.
Old 03-26-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm only a few hours in but I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. Looking forward to getting to the kingdom rebuilding part.
Old 03-26-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I will grab it around the 20 dollar mark. Was looking forward to it but then a little thing called Switch and Far Cry 5 coming out tomorrow got in the way.
Old 03-27-18, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Few more hours in and I'm still enjoying it but it's definitely too easy. I wouldn't suggest it if you're looking for a tough RPG to play through, like Persona. But the artwork is fantastic and the game is a joy to play just for that (if you like cartoon style graphics).

From what I've seen so far, I would recommend the first game over this one.
Old 03-27-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be starting it next weekend when I finish the few games I got going. I'm super excited still I just know it's going to take up all my time for a couple weeks.
Old 03-31-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981

Studio Ghibli didn't work on the story in the first game (they worked on the animation sequences and character design) and most of the classic Ghibli people that worked on the first game still worked on the sequel in the same capacity. Here's an article discussing it. Also the lack of voice acting in every scene happens in 99% of JRPGs even in this day and age so I don't really understand that complaint.

I've now put about 5 hours in and I'm loving the story and characters. Every character I've come across has been interesting and a huge step up from the most recent JRPG I played Lost Sphear.
Old 04-04-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Studio Ghibli didn't work on the story in the first game (they worked on the animation sequences and character design) and most of the classic Ghibli people that worked on the first game still worked on the sequel in the same capacity. Here's an article discussing it. Also the lack of voice acting in every scene happens in 99% of JRPGs even in this day and age so I don't really understand that complaint.

I've now put about 5 hours in and I'm loving the story and characters. Every character I've come across has been interesting and a huge step up from the most recent JRPG I played Lost Sphear.
That's interesting. Thanks for the link. I've just come off a stretch of about 5 3DS JRPGS & FFXV which all had voice acting so that's where my concern on that front stems from.

Also, I'm halfway through chapter 8 (of 9) and the story is still rail thin imho. Seems like they focused alot on the army & kingdom building mechanics more than it and that was a mistake.

Anyhow, I will wrap this one up. But I think its a better purchase around the $20 mark.
Old 04-14-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished it up today. Even 60 hours in I didn't want it to end. I've played a ton of JRPG's in my lifetime and this is easily in my top ten. Fantastic characters and one of the best storylines in any JRPG I've ever played.

Now on to the postgame stuff!
Old 04-14-18, 11:46 PM

I returned my Deluxe Edition back to Best Buy today unopened. With Far Cry 5 taking up a lot of my gaming time right now and a $100 God of War Collector’s Edition next Friday, I just felt that this was an extravagance I didn’t need at the moment. I wouldn’t play it for a while. I am going to pick it up some time later on sale. I can live without the Steelbook and DLC items.
Glad you dug it Q. I will check it out in the future.

Got admit though that the lack of voice acting bums me out a bit.
Old 04-15-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker

Got admit though that the lack of voice acting bums me out a bit.
Just to clarify it has voice acting and great voice acting at that (at least in English). Pretty much all the major cutscenes have voice acting. The earlier complaint by starseed was that every scene is not voice acted.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.