Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tag (2018) S: Helms, Hamm, Renner, Fisher, Jones, Buress, Wallis, Bibb, Johnson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-20-18, 09:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kjC1zmZo30U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For one month every year, five highly competitive friends hit the ground running in a no-holds-barred game of tag they’ve been playing since the first grade—risking their necks, their jobs and their relationships to take each other down with the battle cry: “You’re It!”

This year, the game coincides with the wedding of their only undefeated player, which should finally make him an easy target. But he knows they’re coming…and he’s ready.

Based on a true story, the New Line Cinema comedy “Tag” shows how far some guys will go to be the last man standing.

“Tag” is directed by Jeff Tomsic (Comedy Central’s “Broad City”), with a starring ensemble cast led by Ed Helms (The “Hangover” movies, “We’re the Millers”), Jake Johnson (TV’s “New Girl”), Annabelle Wallis (“The Mummy”), Rashida Jones (TV’s “Parks and Recreation”), Isla Fisher (“Now You See Me”), Leslie Bibb (“Iron Man 2”), Hannibal Buress (“Neighbors”), with Jon Hamm (“Baby Driver,” TV’s “Mad Men”) and Oscar nominee Jeremy Renner (“The Hurt Locker,” “The Town”).

The “Tag” screenplay was written by Rob McKittrick (“Waiting”) and Mark Steilen (TV’s “Mozart in the Jungle”), screen story by Mark Steilen, and based on the Wall Street Journal article entitled “It Takes Planning, Caution to Avoid Being It,” by Russell Adams. The film is produced by Todd Garner and Mark Steilen, with Hans Ritter, Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter serving as executive producers.

The creative filmmaking team includes director of photography Larry Blanford, production designer David Sandefur, editor Josh Crockett, and costume designer Denise Wingate.

“Tag” is set for a June 15, 2018, release.
Old 03-20-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Tag (2018) S: Helms, Hamm, Renner, Fisher, Jones, Buress, Wallis, Bibb, Johnson

This looks pretty funny to me.
Old 06-07-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Tag (2018) S: Helms, Hamm, Renner, Fisher, Jones, Buress, Wallis, Bibb, Johnson

Saw this last night at a preview screening.

Granted, the theatre was full and it's easier to laugh when people are laughing around you, but I did (laugh). The stunts were great, the 'voiceovers' were cool, the moral at the end was good, and the fact that it was based on a true story made it even better.

There were a few moments of cringe-y comedy but I guess that's normal nowadays. Some of
Spoiler:
Jake Johnson's lines were a little bothersome.

But overall, very fun and funny movie. And yes, 'feel-good' at the end.
Old 06-07-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Looks like kind of a fun comedy to me. Might check it out at some point.
Old 06-12-18, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a preview screening tonight and thought it was pretty funny. Not as good as Game Night, but still fun. I think it's basically what you'd expect from the trailers, the entire cast works well together and there's some fun physical comedy and plenty of silly and goofy jokes and lines throughout.

I'd recommend it for anyone wanting something lighthearted.
Old 06-14-18, 07:26 AM

73% so far: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tag_2018
Old 06-16-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I really liked this one. I had seen the trailers so frequently, that I thought all the funny bits might have already been revealed, but there was plenty more to enjoy
Old 06-16-18, 05:37 AM

I saw it. It wasn't bad. It had a lot of heart which helped. I do think they would've been better off if some of the stuff was less heightened, like the woods scene for instance.

Isla Fisher steals the movie, IMO. That woman is perfection .
Old 06-16-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Caught this today with MoviePass. Good, but not great. Definitely one that made me happy I have the card/app. I agree that having a lot of heart helped the movie and kept it from drifting into tastelessness. Kudos to the screenwriters for not going for toilet humor and other such ilk.

Also like everyone else, I thought Isla Fisher was great. It's cool that she's still every bit the scene stealer she was in Wedding Crashers 13 years ago.
Old 06-18-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Annabelle Wallis was the hidden gem in this movie.
She was Gorgeous.

The movie had a ton of heart.
I like a movie that likes its characters and this one does.

It was funny, the stunts were good.
The slow motion in their heads thinking stuff was great.

Leslie Bib was the only ugh for me.
I don’t see the appeal of her.

Every time she smiles you can see the gap where her caps don’t fully connect with her gum line.

Yuck.

Movie is a solid 3.75/5 stars
Old 06-21-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier tonight.

I enjoyed it and that is mostly due to what has already been mentioned, a solid cast as well as hilarious & energetic scenes of Tag.

Some of the sub-plots I thought were a bit unnecessary and there were many times the characters of Chilli (Jake Johnson) & Susan (Leslie Bibb) were extremely grating.
Old 06-22-18, 08:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

This was more fun than we thought it’d be. Wife and I would never have tried this type of film without MoviePass, but found it quite charming and funny.
Old 06-23-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and it was a ton of fun. I cracked up when Colors started playing.
Old 06-27-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw it yesterday and liked it. Kind of "Bro-ey" but not too bad
Old 07-12-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 808 Likes on 597 Posts

I saw Tag today and I liked it overall, but I thought it took a mean-spirited turn toward the last 30 minutes of the movie.
Spoiler:
I didn't care for Susan faking a miscarriage and the group threatening to water board the gym employee.
I'm taking half a star off my rating for that. 3.5/5
Old 09-13-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I saw Tag today and I liked it overall, but I thought it took a mean-spirited turn toward the last 30 minutes of the movie.
Spoiler:
I didn't care for Susan faking a miscarriage and the group threatening to water board the gym employee.
I'm taking half a star off my rating for that. 3.5/5
My wife and I watched it tonight and fully agree with this. That's not something you joke about, especially if have experienced an event like that in life (like we did). Unfortunately that kind of ruined an overall fun movie up to that point. Oh well.
Old 10-07-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Annabelle Wallis was the hidden gem in this movie.
She was Gorgeous.

The movie had a ton of heart.
I like a movie that likes its characters and this one does.

It was funny, the stunts were good.
The slow motion in their heads thinking stuff was great.

Leslie Bib was the only ugh for me.
I don’t see the appeal of her.

Every time she smiles you can see the gap where her caps don’t fully connect with her gum line.

Yuck.

Movie is a solid 3.75/5 stars

Leslie Bibb looks like a gremlin when she stands next to Annabelle Wallis. I think Bibb had some work done.

Jeremy Renner was annoying in this movie.

Kind of sad this is based on a true story since you have to be a real dork playing tag when you reach adulthood.