Reload this Page >

Bypassing a spot in gameplay

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-15-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

I'm at a certain point in Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBOX One X) and just can't get past it.

I'm 20% into the game and it's at a spot where you need to get into a cave but a Snow Leopard gets in your way. I've followed different gameplay walkthroughs and it's not making a difference... no matter how many poison arrows and bullets I hit it with - it just won't die and I wind up running out of bullets and getting mauled.

I've spent hours on this and really can't spend anymore time on it as it's getting extremely dull and frustrating and is ruining the enjoyment of the game.

How do I skip past a spot in a game? Is there someplace I can just download a way to bypass a certain spot?

There has to be a way around it as I'm sure people aren't going to play the same scenario or days/months/years when they're stuck.
Old 03-16-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bypassing a spot in gameplay

I remember the encounter that you are talking about, but I don't remember having any issues with it. I think you just keep dodging while shooting it. You might get some other answers as well if you bump the TR thread.
Old 03-16-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Is Gamefaqs still a thing? I used to hit them, both the faqs and message boards, for 'how do I get past this place?"

My most extreme was with the original Driver on PS1 - in order to earn your "license" and really start the game, you had to do one of every trick in the game, even the advanced ones you wouldn't do or need till later. It would not let you pass without doing so. There was one I could not do. I downloaded a save and used the DexDrive to put it on my PS1 so I could get past that stupid test. It was so frustrating, the alternative was getting rid of the game (or, I guess, keep practicing till I could do it. Nahh...)
Old 03-16-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best way these days especially with the newer games is to go to YouTube, they will give you videos and as long as you can follow what they are doing it should be no issue. GameFaqs at this point is pretty much for older games, 360/PS3 and before. Anything new, I would say YouTube for sure.
Old 03-16-18, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Is this where you are? Starting to type Tomb Raider Sno...auto filled to snow leopard. Seems to be a lot of vids out there.

Old 03-16-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

When you find the answer...on how to bypass a point in a game...let me know so I can use it in Bloodborne.....and probably a few times....
Old 03-16-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is this where you are? Starting to type Tomb Raider Sno...auto filled to snow leopard. Seems to be a lot of vids out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JxyQkCnLOg
No, it's earlier in the game.

I've found a few videos on youtube for the exact spot and have read website walkthroughs at the same point - and I can't kill stupid thing. I run around like an idiot trying to avoid getting mauled after hitting it multiple times with a poison arrow and rifle fire, but it either mauls me or it goes back in the cave - and then I shoot it some more and it still doesn't die. Once I went around 10 minutes surviving while trying to kill this thing.

At this point I just want to bypass this. How can I just skip past this point... I can't spend more hours on this.
Old 03-16-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

Out of curiosity, are you playing on easy setting? It might be a good idea to lower the difficulty all the way down to get past this part. Killing the bears and leopard - to me - are the most challenging parts.
Old 03-16-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Is Gamefaqs still a thing? I used to hit them, both the faqs and message boards, for 'how do I get past this place?"

My most extreme was with the original Driver on PS1 - in order to earn your "license" and really start the game, you had to do one of every trick in the game, even the advanced ones you wouldn't do or need till later. It would not let you pass without doing so. There was one I could not do. I downloaded a save and used the DexDrive to put it on my PS1 so I could get past that stupid test. It was so frustrating, the alternative was getting rid of the game (or, I guess, keep practicing till I could do it. Nahh...)
MY GOD!!!! I remember that Driver bit. It was horrible. You had to be perfect on it, and you couldn't not do it and just go onto the game. Horrible idea including it. Took me a while to beat the damn test.
Old 03-16-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have played through this Tomb Raider game, but this section does not come back to memory. Whenever i have to fight something thats kicking my ass, if i can use the terrain around me to gain height or avoid, i always do.
Old 03-16-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Out of curiosity, are you playing on easy setting? It might be a good idea to lower the difficulty all the way down to get past this part. Killing the bears and leopard - to me - are the most challenging parts.
Thank you so much. I forgot I didn't have this on the easiest setting.
After doing this, it took only 3 attempts to kill the little bastard.

I haven't played videogames in probably 15 years, so I'm not proficient by any stretch - especially with shooter-style action.
I played the original Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on PC when they were first released in the 90s, and I don't remember there being difficulty levels on them... so I forgot about it here.

This really is a great game, but I find there's just a little too much dependency on the shooting/fighting. I'm really not a fan of playing the same scenario over and over until "getting it right". Taking away the time I spent trying to kill this now leopard, I'm finding the game to be longer than I thought it would be. I'm only 20% in and have played for a while. You seem to get a big bang for your buck.

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That 20% might just be trophy collection. Its possible to finish a game and be at 50% completion or so because you didn't perform certain feats.

I don't remember how far in the snow leopard is but don't use that percentage as a gauge.
Old 03-16-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
MY GOD!!!! I remember that Driver bit. It was horrible. You had to be perfect on it, and you couldn't not do it and just go onto the game. Horrible idea including it. Took me a while to beat the damn test.
Same with GTA San Andreas. I got to the mission where you had to get your flying license. I spent hours on that mission I couldn’t believe the game wouldn’t let you skip it ! And it was right before Vegas .
Old 03-17-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't recall having any issues with the snow leopard. I think I drew it out and then climbed to a higher elevation and took him out fairly easily.
Old 03-19-18, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
Thank you so much. I forgot I didn't have this on the easiest setting.
After doing this, it took only 3 attempts to kill the little bastard.

I haven't played videogames in probably 15 years, so I'm not proficient by any stretch - especially with shooter-style action.
I played the original Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on PC when they were first released in the 90s, and I don't remember there being difficulty levels on them... so I forgot about it here.

This really is a great game, but I find there's just a little too much dependency on the shooting/fighting. I'm really not a fan of playing the same scenario over and over until "getting it right". Taking away the time I spent trying to kill this now leopard, I'm finding the game to be longer than I thought it would be. I'm only 20% in and have played for a while. You seem to get a big bang for your buck.

Thanks again.
LOL... I'm the King of "easy setting"... I'm too old and have too little time to challenge myself to the point of frustration. I enjoy the experience for what it is and I distinctly remember how tough the wildlife fights are in this series. There are some puzzles that are pretty trick too... but Youtube is your best bet with this game.
Old 03-26-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you tried talking to the snow leopard?
Old 03-26-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
That 20% might just be trophy collection. Its possible to finish a game and be at 50% completion or so because you didn't perform certain feats.

I don't remember how far in the snow leopard is but don't use that percentage as a gauge.
Yep, I think I finished one of the Arkham games at 41% because I didn't do the side quests.
Old 05-01-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've been playing this game for 6 or 7 weeks and I'm still not done.

The battles take way too long to get by. It can take me days and many many many attempts to get past it. Stuck on another one now and it's impossible to get through.

Why do they put so much concentration on the battles? The game is mostly about exploration and puzzle solving, then I have to deal with trying to kill like 10 guys. They shouldn't make it so hard.
The worst part is this is the 2nd time that, for some reason, I no longer have as much ammo as I had just before a major battle. I just magically lost it in time to be handicapped for a big battle. WTF is that about?

Again, I ask... there has to be a way to skip past something that's too hard.
Old 05-01-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The battles take way too long to get by. It can take me days and many many many attempts to get past it. Stuck on another one now and it's impossible to get through.

Why do they put so much concentration on the battles? The game is mostly about exploration and puzzle solving, then I have to deal with trying to kill like 10 guys. They shouldn't make it so hard.
The worst part is this is the 2nd time that, for some reason, I no longer have as much ammo as I had just before a major battle. I just magically lost it in time to be handicapped for a big battle. WTF is that about?

Game makers are afraid of losing "core" gamers by not having enough action, and they want people to like the play mechanics enough to be a multiplayer hit.

I loved Uncharted 2, for instance, but feel like it loses some ground when it becomes a non-stop shoot 'em up in it's final quarter.
Old 05-02-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it the underground setting where you need to duck around stanchions/ pillars as it feels endless enemies come at you? I struggled with that part -- but again, on easy, most things are doable.
Old 05-02-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it the underground setting where you need to duck around stanchions/ pillars as it feels endless enemies come at you? I struggled with that part -- but again, on easy, most things are doable.
No, I got past that part (if it's what I think it is).

I'm at a part where these "guys" (they don't look human) in heavy armor are attacking me while some of them are throwing some kind of blue flames at me.
I have it on the easiest setting, but I still can't get by them.

Wouldn't have been too hard if the game didn't just strip me of a lot of ammo for no reason before the fight.

This is exactly where the battle starts:

Old 05-02-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try getting to higher ground and using those exploding urns to maximize damage.
Old 05-02-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try getting to higher ground and using those exploding urns to maximize damage.
Overall, it didn't help.

I killed a bunch of them, and then another batch came out and killed me.
Then it starts me from the beginning again instead of after I killed the first batch - which is total bullshit. If it's not going to create proper savepoints, then I should be able to save it myself so I don't have to continue starting over. Now I'm spending hours trying to kill the first batch again.

I have to call the publishers up and get them to cut me past this part. I spent money on this and I can't play the same part of the game for weeks. This is nonsense.
Old 05-02-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Game makers are afraid of losing "core" gamers by not having enough action, and they want people to like the play mechanics enough to be a multiplayer hit.

I loved Uncharted 2, for instance, but feel like it loses some ground when it becomes a non-stop shoot 'em up in it's final quarter.
I also think that they worry a game will lose replay value if it's only exploration and puzzles. And yes, I know some people will never replay a game regardless.
Old 05-02-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I can't think of any game that has such a feature. My kids have this feature, it's called "hand the controller to dad." I always get annoyed at them when they do this though, because yes, I can get them past the part they're having trouble with, but if I do that, they're just going to get stuck on the next part which is harder, and builds on the skills you would have learned if you had done it right.

It may be time to admit that you suck at videogames and find another pastime. Have you tried basket weaving?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.