Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

Old 12-10-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Academy Award(R)-winner J.K. Simmons stars in two roles in this spy thriller from creator Justin Marks and MRC, and executive producers Gilbert Films and Anonymous Content. The official trailer provides the first look into a captivating world of espionage, intrigue, and government conspiracies. "Counterpart" is about a mysterious world hidden beneath the surface of our everyday existence. Howard Silk (J.K. Simmons) is a lowly cog in the bureaucratic machinery of a Berlin-based United Nations spy agency. When Howard discovers that his organization safeguards the secret of a crossing into a parallel dimension, he is thrust into a shadow world of intrigue, danger, and double cross... where the only man he can trust is his near-identical counterpart from this parallel world. The show explores themes of identity, fate and lost love, posing the eternal question, "what if our lives could have been different?"

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c3Bu2DOM66g" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Officially premieres January 21, 2018

However, the Pilot episode is previewing tonight on Starz at 9pm after the Outlander season finale and is also available on demand or via the Starz app.

The trailer looks really cool.
Old 12-10-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
re: Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

JK Simmons and sci-fi? Sold!
Old 01-15-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
re: Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

First episode already on Starz Demand and I have to say that this was one of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen. It is truly fantastic. I watched it twice, there is a TON of little hidden details.
Old 01-15-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

thanks for the bump. forgot this was coming on in 6 days.
Old 01-18-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
First episode already on Starz Demand and I have to say that this was one of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen. It is truly fantastic. I watched it twice, there is a TON of little hidden details.
I recorded the preview (pilot episode) some time ago and finally got around to watching knowing new episodes would be coming soon. Awesome start. J.K. does a very good job of convincingly playing two different characters, that in this case, should have similarities as well. It was also interesting seeing BSG's Apollo in what (so far) was a very minimal role. I really look forward to understanding the full point of each role in this organization, including what there is to know about the fourth floor.
Old 01-18-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ash vs. Evil Dead, now JK Simmons in this... Starz is getting very close to convincing me to pay for their streaming service...
Old 01-21-18, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Ash vs. Evil Dead, now JK Simmons in this... Starz is getting very close to convincing me to pay for their streaming service...
You forgot Outlander, one of the best shows on TV. It is the Somewhere In Time of TV as it is essentially a romance but done in a way that appeals to both sexes. Starz rocks.
Old 01-21-18, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI, for those who haven't seen this yet, it officially premieres tonight on Starz.

However, if you're recording this, be conscious that the air date on the premiere says "December 10, 2017" They're going off the special preview as the original airing. So you will need to manually record it.

But, the premiere has been available on demand for the past month, so you can always watch it on demand or via the Starz app.
Old 01-21-18, 09:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, though they gave away the reveal
Spoiler:
about the wife being alive on the other side
in the preview before the episode.
Old 01-21-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah we knew that was coming, unfortunately.

This was a slow burn, like The Americans. I couldn't help think of Fringe while watching, with the 2 sides the same yet different. Even the technology differences were apparent.

Simmons was great playing both parts. I am down for the season.
Old 01-21-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I loved it. Very stylish. J.K. Simmons was awesome playing a badass spy as well as the lowly corporate cog. It was a little slow to start out, but for this type of genre, I'm good with that. It did remind me a little of Fringe.

That shootout sequence in the hospital with that assassin Baldwin was pretty exciting to watch.

I'm game for the season. Starz is really picking things up now with some quality stuff. Now I just need to get caught up on Outlander and Power.
Old 01-22-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah we knew that was coming, unfortunately.

This was a slow burn, like The Americans. I couldn't help think of Fringe while watching, with the 2 sides the same yet different. Even the technology differences were apparent.

Simmons was great playing both parts. I am down for the season.
I actually referred to Fringe when describing the series to a friend. I was describing how the other side was so different technology wise despite it not being in a different timeline.

I have a feeling both Howard will turn out to be equally bad ass. Do have to wonder how lying about the wife fits into the larger story and if most on the others side have also been told she is dead.
Old 01-22-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Yup, this was Fringe almost down to a tee.

I didn't like them throwing in another language for some people seemingly out of nowhere.

I'm down for the season however for some reason Starz and Comcast don't get along so I'll have to be recording rather than streaming.
Old 01-22-18, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
Yup, this was Fringe almost down to a tee.

I didn't like them throwing in another language for some people seemingly out of nowhere.

I'm down for the season however for some reason Starz and Comcast don't get along so I'll have to be recording rather than streaming.
It takes place in Germany so for the most part the main characters are speaking the "other" language.

I think Starz made a mistake by not showing the first two episodes last night, especially since the pilot has been out there.

I don't really get a Fringe vibe though I can see how some might.
Old 01-23-18, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pilot was great. I'm in for the rest of the season.
Old 01-23-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really get a Fringe vibe though I can see how some might.
There are already a lot of similarities to Fringe. But there doesn't seem like there will ever be a third party group like the Observers given how they described the other world coming into existence. It also seems like the tone of this show is going to lean towards the dark side, so any tone related similarities will remain limited.
Old 01-23-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

The wife and I enjoyed this. I knew nothing about it until I saw a quick trailer the day before the first episode was broadcast. J.K. Simmons was excellent. The other wife didn't surprise me, but not because it was predictable. I just didn't see any reason why the other J.K. should be trusted.

Having said that, it won't surprise me if they go the evil twin route and the first J.K. ends up being the evil one.
Old 01-23-18, 01:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind a jk simmons fringe... let's do it.. first ep was solid
Old 01-23-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Dug the premiere, in for the season
Old 01-28-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Good 2nd episode tonight. Random, but this reaffirmed my belief that women always look better with long hair. The female assassin we saw in episode 1 has a really short cut; don't find her attractive at all. This episode we meet her counterpart who has long hair, and she's smoking hot
Old 01-29-18, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Good 2nd episode tonight. Random, but this reaffirmed my belief that women always look better with long hair. The female assassin we saw in episode 1 has a really short cut; don't find her attractive at all. This episode we meet her counterpart who has long hair, and she's smoking hot
Their makeup was quite different as well. A lot of times girls with short hair also go for more masculine makeup too which doubles the "less hot" effect, at least for some.

Thought second episode was great. Need to rewatch but was confused by who visited the assassin in the old home. I guess that was not her other world self but I thought it was until her other self's reaction to when assassin took off her mask.
Old 01-29-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Thought second episode was great. Need to rewatch but was confused by who visited the assassin in the old home.
It was a contact person. There is an underground network of people who have crossed over illegally.
Old 01-29-18, 09:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Fucking Optimum dropped Starz, but I’ll see it. Looks good...
Old 01-29-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Fucking Optimum dropped Starz, but I’ll see it. Looks good...
Did you subscribe to Starz? Just pay for it Starz a la carte and then stream it. It's 8.99/month either through Starz or Amazon channels.
Old 01-30-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

watched the first two episodes with the wife last night. Was pretty solid and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.