Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Candy Crush Saga

Old 06-24-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Candy Crush Saga

Anyone else playing this? I like the game it's really addicting but I hate how a lot of it is pay to play. They make the levels so hard that you're tempted to spend real money. So far I have not spent a penny on it. One powerup is something like $40!

Finished level 35 but in order to progress i need to Get three tickets from friends. I've turned into a spammer
Oh and I've sent ticket requests out and the friends have told me they sent me tickets but it still wont show up anywhere on my FB. Looked on google and a lot of other people have been having the same problems.
Old 06-24-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I've been wondering whether this is worth trying. Seems like a lot of people I know are playing.

I'm so lame that hard levels are usually a deal-breaker for me.
Old 06-24-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Here's a good write up from grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...little-inferno

It really is a good way to convince people to part with their money/get other people addicted. I'm also stuck at the part where you have to get tickets from three other people. There's a good point in the article that talks about how it seems like these powerups that cost money are so awesome, but within a few episodes those powerups become pretty worthless and you're back wanting more.
Old 06-24-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've been wondering whether this is worth trying. Seems like a lot of people I know are playing.

I'm so lame that hard levels are usually a deal-breaker for me.
I have a working theory that the hard difficulty is more of a rigged game. I've played the same levels for days and no luck but at one point the correct candies will fall into place. It doesn't seem randomized and at a certain point the developers will let you pass to the next level.

Another example of it being rigged. There was a level where I got a candy bomb that was sitting right next to one of the Jellies. It blows up but never destroys the Jelly!
Old 06-24-13, 05:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Isn't this just a match 3 game? What's the big deal?
Old 06-24-13, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some levels have objectives that you need to fulfill and there are some obstacles, like the spreading chocolate and timed bombs (unless you get rid of them before they reach 0), that make some levels hard.
Old 06-24-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Seriously, don't start. It's bizarrely addictive but some levels are so difficult it's very not fun. I'm on level 91 now and I've been stuck for weeks.

One thing to know if you do play is that you get some free power ups if you play on your pc, but nothing is free using the phone app.
Old 06-24-13, 06:17 PM

I played for a while and got stuck on level 135 for a long time and then am now stuck on level 136... It's too hard to be fun any more and it seems as if one is mostly relying more on luck than skill once you get up to these levels.
Old 06-24-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

Level 180 without spending a dollar. Don't know if that's a brag or a cry for help.
Old 06-24-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I played it for a couple of hours a month or 2 ago and its just another bejeweled. I don't care. I get at least 2 or three requests from friends a day though. I'm thinking of deleting and blocking the app.
Old 06-24-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm on level 258 right now and went from 212 to 258 over the weekend and today. It is a fun game to play. Also, if you play on your phone you can reset your lives and get a fresh batch of five for free. Close the game. Go to your time settings and change the time setting from automatic to manual. Then set the time at least three hours ahead. Open the game again and watch your lives reappear. Before you play with any of those lives you need to leave the game and go back to the time settings and switch it back to automatic. Rinse and repeat as you need lives. Some levels just rely on persistence and not giving up.
Old 06-24-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's definitely addicting, but I stopped a few weeks ago. I think I was around level 120 or so without buying anything.
Old 06-24-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm on level 258 right now and went from 212 to 258 over the weekend and today. It is a fun game to play. Also, if you play on your phone you can reset your lives and get a fresh batch of five for free. Close the game. Go to your time settings and change the time setting from automatic to manual. Then set the time at least three hours ahead. Open the game again and watch your lives reappear. Before you play with any of those lives you need to leave the game and go back to the time settings and switch it back to automatic. Rinse and repeat as you need lives. Some levels just rely on persistence and not giving up.
Yup I figured that trick out early on. I refuse to pay money for that nonsense. I only play on my girlfriend's tablet, and I'm on level 81 or so, but I rarely ever play, and am probably mostly done.

There is some skill, but a lot of times it is just the luck of the draw when it comes to what candy falls.
Old 06-24-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The match 3 games are the mobile version of the FPS - repackaged a million ways and still popular as hell.
Old 06-25-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Does anyone know how to turn off the Facebook alerts every time someone sends me lives?

I like getting the lives, but I don't need my smartphone/Facebook page to alert me every time I get one.
Old 06-25-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Isn't this just a match 3 game? What's the big deal?
yes and ridiculously lame if you've ever played other match-3 game. I see it as a match-3 game for soccer moms.
Old 06-25-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Seriously, don't start. It's bizarrely addictive but some levels are so difficult it's very not fun. I'm on level 91 now and I've been stuck for weeks.
I think this is the way to go for me.

I really liked Kingdom Rush but it quickly got so hard without powerups that it wasn't fun for me. I finally got through the main levels but got destroyed in the bonuses.
Old 06-25-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

My wife plays it. Level 250+ or close to it and she hasn't bought anything.

I never bothered to get into it.
Old 06-25-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Level 267 is a pain. You have to score 100,000 in 90 seconds while worrying about bombs and those damn reproducing chocolate. Ugh!
Old 06-26-13, 08:53 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife is pretty addicted to it. i play it some, but once i get stuck on a level i lose interest. She will sit there for an hour trying to pass it. This game is her World of Warcraft.
Old 06-27-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just hit level 300! Woot! I seriously need to finish this as it is keeping me from my console games.
Old 06-27-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Just hit level 300! Woot! I seriously need to finish this as it is keeping me from my console games.
It never ends!
Old 06-27-13, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mhg83
Anyone else playing this? I like the game it's really addicting but I hate how a lot of it is pay to play. They make the levels so hard that you're tempted to spend real money. So far I have not spent a penny on it. One powerup is something like $40!

Finished level 35 but in order to progress i need to Get three tickets from friends. I've turned into a spammer
Oh and I've sent ticket requests out and the friends have told me they sent me tickets but it still wont show up anywhere on my FB. Looked on google and a lot of other people have been having the same problems.
Just unlink your account to FB. I linked my account once and promptly unlinked it when I found out I had to spam friends for lives and tickets. You can progress just fine albeit with more patience. Once you get to the"crossroads" you just have to beat three levels to proceed. The bad thing is that you have to wait 24hours before playing the next level. So it will take you a minimum of three days to beat the "station" and proceed to the next stage.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Does anyone know how to turn off the Facebook alerts every time someone sends me lives?

I like getting the lives, but I don't need my smartphone/Facebook page to alert me every time I get one.
Settings, apps, Candy Crush, uncheck "receive notifications," if IIRC.

Last edited by ka11ima; 06-27-13 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Information error
Old 06-27-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
It never ends!
Actually, level 350 is the end of the game proper. They have added a couple of sets of levels after that. I think it is up to 390 or so. I'm on 302 so I the end is inching closer.
Old 06-28-13, 11:08 AM

Re: Candy Crush Saga - Keep playing by watching their video ads

I've been playing for a few months now. I'm on level 323. I've been playing, even when my lives are up because if you keep hitting the x button, it takes you to a video advertisemet you can watch for a free life. Well, yesterday that stopped working and today I was able to watch a few advertisements, then -- nothing -- won't bring any more up. Anyone else been doing this? and is it still working for you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.