Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-17, 11:07 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" (Starring: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Domhnall Gleeson, Billie Lourd, Andy Serkis, Oscar Isaac, Gwendoline Christie)

Release Date:
12/15/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence.)

Running Time:
152m. (2h. 32m.)

Budget:
$250 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Having taken her first steps into the Jedi world, Rey joins Luke Skywalker on an adventure with Leia, Finn and Poe that unlocks mysteries of the Force and secrets of the past.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.6 (1,162 votes as of 12/10/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:0 Rotten:0 (00% as of 12/10/17)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 12/15/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 12-10-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I hope that's the official poster.
Old 12-10-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Spoilers apparently leaked on therpf from someone that attended the premiere.

If true...
Spoiler:
Fuck that shit and the Mouse's regime. I'm sure the masses will love it.
I may not bother with EP9.
Old 12-10-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If the controversial spoiler circulating is true, it's among the dumbest plot devices in any SW film.
Old 12-10-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm seeing it this Sat so i'll reserve judgment until then, but man, some of those spoilers not only sound terrible but completely undermine anything being built up in TFA. Like, completely.
Old 12-10-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Why the hell are people reading spoilers so close to release? That makes me for some reason

Also reminds me of

Old 12-10-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

It's like an addiction. I checked for Phantom Menace spoilers daily, even when I had to ride my bike to the library because my family didn't have an internet connection at the time.

The alleged "twist" in this movie does sound like BAD fan fiction when read out of context. If true, I can totally understand why Mark went public with his disagreement about Rian's approach to his character. In fact, everything this new "story group" has come up with in regard to the big three feels like a squandered opportunity, especially in the wake of Fisher's death.

Spoiler:
As for the potential Rey reveal (again, if true):
Spoiler:
With all the build-up and question dodging surrounding her character's past, this could make for the biggest shoulder shrug in film history. Thanks, mystery box!
Old 12-10-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
It's like an addiction. I checked for Phantom Menace spoilers daily, even when I had to ride my bike to the library because my family didn't have an internet connection at the time.

The alleged "twist" in this movie does sound like BAD fan fiction when read out of context. If true, I can totally understand why Mark went public with his disagreement about Rian's approach to his character. In fact, everything this new "story group" has come up with in regard to the big three feels like a squandered opportunity, especially in the wake of Fisher's death.

Spoiler:
As for the potential Rey reveal (again, if true):
Spoiler:
With all the build-up and question dodging surrounding her character's past, this could make for the biggest shoulder shrug in film history. Thanks, mystery box!
I blame JJ for that one. Shit like that is why I stopped watching LOST and why I may not bother with the last one
Old 12-11-17, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I read the spoilers, too, and, if true, all I can say is "Fuck this movie."

They're building up so much hype about how awesome this movies is that it's going to be a Phantom Menace level let-down

They just shit on all of the goodwill that The Force Awakens built up. This is prequel-level garbage.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-02-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright I'm curious now. Anyway someone can spoiler the supposed spoilers? I'm curious what they are and if they are accurate since I wont be able to see this for awhile.
Old 12-11-17, 07:46 AM

^ You asked for it.

Spoiler:
Luke shows up to fight Kylo and save the day at the end, but it's kind of a fake out. Turns out he never actually left the island and uses the Force to "project" himself across the galaxy. The process drains his lifeforce and he dies.

I suspect general audiences won't be as pissed off by this as much as the die-hards. It's been clear from the start that Disney wants the emphasis to be on the new characters... and hey, Luke could still come back as a Force ghost. Still, it sounds like a fucking waste of a childhood hero. This is the kind of writing that earned Johnson a blank slate trilogy?

Also, Rey's parents are said to be junk dealers (who I guess sold her to get off Jakku). She's apparently not related to any established character. I'd be fine with this if Abrams and Kennedy didn't tease Rey "Last Name Intentionally Withheld" as some great mystery for the past three years.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-11-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-11-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ You asked for it.

Spoiler:
Luke shows up to fight Kylo and save the day at the end, but it turns out he's not really there. He drains his lifeforce to "project" himself there while never leaving the island and dies at the end.
Thank you. Yeah that seems like a dumbass idea that's going to piss a lot of people off.
Old 12-11-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...and also:

Spoiler:
Snoke turns out to be nobody at all. He's easily killed by Kylo Ren, who then takes his place as Supreme Leader or whatever.

Seriously, THIS is what everyone has been raving about? You have people claiming this is the best Star Wars movie ever and eberything I've read about the plot comes off like prequel-era tripe.
Old 12-11-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeahhhh I really hope those spoilers aren't true.
Old 12-11-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Lol... those spoilers are dumb as hell. If true, this movie is going to be a letdown. I can't imagine the minimization of critical characters any more than described above; these have to be fake because even my 9 year old wouldn't make that mistake.
Old 12-11-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are links to the spoilers and their discussion on reddit and another board for anyone who wants to see for themselves:

Old 12-11-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
...and also:

Spoiler:
Snoke turns out to be nobody at all. He's easily killed by Kylo Ren, who then takes his place as Supreme Leader or whatever.

Seriously, THIS is what everyone has been raving about? You have people claiming this is the best Star Wars movie ever and eberything I've read about the plot comes off like prequel-era tripe.
don't forget...

Spoiler:
Rey is a nobody.... at least in this film. Pretty much makes TFA pointless.
Old 12-11-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Makes me wonder if this is why Trevorrow got fired from/quit Episode IX: He lost his shit when he saw what Johnson was leaving him to work with.
Old 12-11-17, 10:00 AM

Spoiler:
Now we know why there was talk of Leia having greater importance in IX, as she's would have been the only surviving main OT character. Having her be the one to either redeem her son or have a hand in bringing him down could have had a strong dramatic payoff. Without that, my interest in IX is severely lessened.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll finally bring back Lando before Billy Dee Williams becomes too feeble to work.
Old 12-11-17, 10:00 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I read the linked spoilers and all I have to say is, I DO NOT CARE! I am not the one writing the story, it's not mine to tell - as long as what's there is well told, I am along for the ride (That's the main thing wrong with the prequels). This is just escapism entertainment, folks.
Old 12-11-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Well, I read the linked spoilers and all I have to say is, I DO NOT CARE! I am not the one writing the story, it's not mine to tell - as long as what's there is well told, I am along for the ride (That's the main thing wrong with the prequels). This is just escapism entertainment, folks.
I like my escapism entertainment to be good......
Old 12-11-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makes me wonder if this is why Trevorrow got fired from/quit Episode IX: He lost his shit when he saw what Johnson was leaving him to work with.
I would too.

Spoiler:
Wait 35 years to see Luke Skywalker be a badass on screen. We get a 10 second scene in TFA and he gets killed off in TLJ. Shit...the expanded Universe did a better job post-ROTJ.
Old 12-11-17, 11:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I like my escapism entertainment to be good......
Me, too, and I have not seen a thing yet that even remotely indicates The Last Jedi is not a great movie. Are there things that are going to happen or are revealed plot and canon-wise that I, personally, would have gone in a different direction with? Sure, every movie is like that. But the only nay-saying I am hearing are from people who haven't actually seen The Last Jedi yet. I seem to recall the same thing about The Force Awakens, as well.
Old 12-11-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Here are links to the spoilers and their discussion on reddit and another board for anyone who wants to see for themselves:

I'm believing these rumors are true... and I say that because the author of the rumors has a decent amount of posts on the site you referenced and has been there for 6 years. I highly doubt he's going AWOL just to mess with people.
Old 12-11-17, 12:27 PM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Me, too, and I have not seen a thing yet that even remotely indicates The Last Jedi is not a great movie. Are there things that are going to happen or are revealed plot and canon-wise that I, personally, would have gone in a different direction with? Sure, every movie is like that. But the only nay-saying I am hearing are from people who haven't actually seen The Last Jedi yet. I seem to recall the same thing about The Force Awakens, as well.
I agree, except I didn't read the spoilers. The reactions in this thread has me worried but I'm letting it go, ready to dive in, and have fun. My spouse and I are going Thursday and I'm taking a group on Saturday morning, can't wait.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.