Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Conan Returns to Marvel

Old 01-12-18, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Conan Returns to Marvel

Conan Returns to Marvel

The adventure begins in January 2019!

Today, Marvel Entertainment and Conan Properties International are excited to announce the iconic CONAN franchise will make its grand return to Marvel next year.

With over 650 issues from 1970 to 2000, Marvel brought fans the adventures of Conan The Barbarian, Conan the Adventurer, Conan the Savage, and Savage Sword of Conan, among other popular titles.

“From Barry Windsor-Smith to John Buscema to Neal Adams, a legendary lineup of amazing artists brought Conan to life in the pages of Marvel comics,” said C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. “It’s a legacy we’re now going to live up to with the talent we have lined up for the Cimmerian barbarian’s homecoming in early 2019. We’re excited!”

“We’re thrilled to be working with Marvel and look forward to the new adventures in store for Conan,” said Fredrik Malmberg, President of Conan Properties International. “As the most well-known and creative publisher in the industry, we think Marvel is a great fit for our stories.”

With this deal, Marvel will again bring new and thrilling stories for Conan fans around the world. Details on upcoming comic book titles, collections, reprints, and creative teams will be shared at a later date.
https://news.marvel.com/comics/82990...eturns-marvel/

Wow! That's a huge FU that Marvel has given to Dark Horse. The second one after also taking the Star Wars license from them. Now those What If? Conan issues can finally be reprinted
Old 01-12-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Conan Returns to Marvel

I assume we'll get classic Conan omnibuses.
Old 01-12-18, 03:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Think I own every Conan book ever from (Marvel/)Dark Horse. The new stuff Dark Horse did was as good as the classic Marvel stuff, from there fairly small sampling of each I’ve read. But like the new Star Wars, I’m willing to try Marvel’s new efforts.
Old 01-12-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm. This has me interested. I do hope we get some classic Conan Omni's out of it.
Old 01-12-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Would love to see Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith do a Conan one shot for Marvel.

What will Dark Horse have left once Disney gets 20th Century Fox's IPs and Aliens, Predator, Buffy and Firefly all head to Marvel?
Old 01-12-18, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Would love to see Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith do a Conan one shot for Marvel.

What will Dark Horse have left once Disney gets 20th Century Fox's IPs and Aliens, Predator, Buffy and Firefly all head to Marvel?
I always thought that Dark Horse should fight to get the Harry Potter license but I imagine DC Comics has first shot at that since they are associated by WB. They could also do a Legend of Zelda or other hot Nintendo property comic books. Dark Horse has Hellboy, Usage Yojimbo, Robocop and Terminator and not much else. The have failed to truly develop IP to the point that there have been weeks in 2017 were they released less than 2 books or none.
Old 01-12-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Since the original series was part of the 616 continuity, I wonder if this new series will be a continuation from the old series or will they choose to keep it seperate from the old continity and the 616 universe.
Old 01-12-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I assume we'll get classic Conan omnibuses.
I'm hoping for that, especially nicer reprints of Savage Sword, the Dark Horse reprints of those, on cheap paper and a smaller size than originally published were really lacking IMO. If Marvel can do reprints closer to the Creepy/Eerie/Vampirella archive editions I'll be a happy camper!
Old 01-13-18, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I have a ton of the old Chronicles TPBs, but the reproduction is not the greatest. I also have a few of the Savage Sword phone books and three of the new Omniboo, which I like but don’t love. I’ll be interested to see how the old material is handled.

Conan is kind of like Red Sonja in that I can pick up and read nearly any story of it.
Old 01-13-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I always thought that Dark Horse should fight to get the Harry Potter license but I imagine DC Comics has first shot at that since they are associated by WB.
From what I've heard, Rowling has nixed the idea of Harry Potter/Wizarding World comic books, so it doesn't matter anyway. Which is a shame because there are tons of possible stories they could tell. Voldemort's rise to power, the First Wizarding War, what was going at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows while Harry, Ron, and Hermione were off hunting Horcruxes.
Old 01-13-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Disney might be content to leave Buffy, Aliens, Predator, and Firefly at Dark Horse. They aren't huge properties like Star Wars, and Buffy/Angel and Firefly are currently inactive.
Old 01-13-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I've looked but never found one. I'd like to have a reprint TPB of Marvel's color Adventures on The Planet of The Apes. I've seen the Archives series that reprints the b&w magazines but not the color comics.

Last edited by rw2516; 01-13-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Disney might be content to leave Buffy, Aliens, Predator, and Firefly at Dark Horse. They aren't huge properties like Star Wars, and Buffy/Angel and Firefly are currently inactive.
I could see that. Disney farms out their own characters like Mickey and Uncle Scrooge to various companies so they seem to be OK with not having control and just collecting the rights fees in certain cases.
Old 01-13-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

This is off topic. Has the silver age issue of DC's Showcase that was adaption of the Bond film Dr. No ever been reprinted?
Old 01-19-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Too bad John Buscema passed away. I loved his pencils with Adams inking. At the very least they should get Adams to do a one shot.
Old 01-19-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Too bad John Buscema passed away. I loved his pencils with Adams inking. At the very least they should get Adams to do a one shot.
My proudest trade ever on DVDtalk? A bunch of DVDs that I got for free for three pages of John Buscema Conan art.
Old 01-22-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
My proudest trade ever on DVDtalk? A bunch of DVDs that I got for free for three pages of John Buscema Conan art.
Holy shit that's a great trade!
Old 01-22-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Here are two of them, maybe I never put the third on Comic Art Fans.

Old 01-22-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

That's great!
Old 12-09-18, 01:56 PM
Banned

Conan is joining the Marvel Universe in Avengers

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12...erse-avengers/
Old 05-14-22, 11:24 AM
Banned

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Marvel will be losing the Conan license later this year

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cona...zLiReaMvxQc9DA
Old 05-16-22, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Hoping that's bullshit
Old 05-17-22, 06:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Hoping that's bullshit
It’s true. I imagine it wasn’t make them much money. And after a good start, the books were regarded mostly pretty mediocre lately.

You want good Conan check out the Ablaze Cimmerian books.
Old 05-17-22, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It’s true. I imagine it wasn’t make them much money. And after a good start, the books were regarded mostly pretty mediocre lately.

I read both, I just like him at Marvel.
Old 05-17-22, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor

It's making them money, the problem is that the new Conan IP owners want to publish the books themselves and have decided not to renew the contract with Marvel, which is set to expire later this year. Still, the new owners are going to allow Marvel to keep the Marvel trades and omnibus in print.

Honestly, the new owners are shooting themselves in the foot. They have a sweet deal at Marvel, with Conan getting a larger exposure than before and a potential of appearing in the MCU down the line with the Savage Avengers. Now, these new owners are going to find how hard is to self publish and find a good creative team that's willing to work at whatever their rate is.

As for the Ablaze books, they are good, but the reason they are called the Cimmerian is to avoid the trademarks and copyrights issues in the US. The books are being created and printed in Europe under the Conan banner and I feel some of it is lost in translation when done in English.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-17-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.