Reload this Page >

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-21-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

It's that time of year again. I ended up playing through even more games then last year which I didn't think was possible. I have pretty varied tastes in games so hopefully you see something on this list you haven't heard about and decide to check out.

Here's a link to my 2016 thread

and a link to my 2015 thread if anyone forgot how this works.

This was a fantastic year for games. I struggled to whittle this list down to 20 since there were easily 25-30 games that I thought were great this year.

I'm going to stick with the format from last year (excluding a worst game of the year since I didn't really have anything that I just outright hated like last year. Super Lucky's Tale is my least favorite game I played this year but I just quit playing after an hour or so instead of forcing my way through it). So let's start with...

Top 5 Non-2017 Games I Played for the First Time in 2017:

5. Titanfall 2 (PS4) released in 2016

I'm not a huge FPS fan and with the original being multiplayer only this game wasn't on my radar. Once a buzz started building around how great the campaign was in the sequel I got interested and it lived up to the hype. Parkouring around the environments in a mech feels really good and controls great. The story pulled me in and they did a wonderful job making your mech a fully realized character and important piece of the story.

Last edited by The Questyen; 12-22-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

4. 2064: Read Only Memories (PS4) released in 2015

This game originally came out in 2015 on PC but released on consoles this year (and is coming to Switch next year). It's modeled after 80's PC adventure titles but more dialogue choices then actual puzzle solving. I picked it up because I thought the story looked interesting (it's billed as a Cyberpunk Adventure game) and it delivered with a plot involving gender identity, what makes someone human, and some of the best LGBTQ representation I've seen in a videogame.

Last edited by The Questyen; 12-22-17 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 09:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Excited to see what else makes it into your list
I bought the PS4 physical copy of 2064: ROM from Limited Run Games about a month ago. I'll be playing that when I get back from vacation.
Old 12-21-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3. Headlander (PS4) originally released in 2016

Headlander is a Double Fine/Adult Swim Metroidvania game with a great retro sci-fi artstyle and a lot of goofy charm. It has great level design, powerups, and gets quite tense with some bullet hell like sequences which make it stand out from most games in the genre.

Sidenote: I just realized all 3 of these games so far revolve heavily around robot consciousness and what makes us human. So I guess that's my thing now.

Old 12-21-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2. Overcooked! (PS4) released in 2016

I pretty much never play multiplayer focused games but my wife was interested in playing a co-op game and Overcooked was highly recommended so I picked it up. At first I thought we were just bound to suck at the game and that we would never even beat it let alone get 3 stars on everything. Of course once you get a rhythm going and you play for awhile it comes together and we just managed to 3 star all the levels in the main game last week. Not sure how it plays solo but highly recommended as a co-op game.

Old 12-22-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Overcooked is on sale on both PS4 and XB1 right now. I was actually thinking about picking it up, but not too sure I could get my wife to play with me.
Old 12-22-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Overcooked is on sale on both PS4 and XB1 right now. I was actually thinking about picking it up, but not too sure I could get my wife to play with me.
My wife never plays games and she loves it so if you can get her to give it a shot it's really easy to get started. The challenge comes with working together and managing your time but the actual controls and core gameplay are incredibly easy to pickup and you only use a few buttons.
Old 12-22-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'll probably end up picking it up. I picked up Snipperclips on the Switch thinking it would interest her. We played it a whopping two times so far
Old 12-22-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Once you get the hang of Overcooked, try playing two player with a single controller. True couch co-op. Talk about making the game even more interesting.
Old 12-22-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Stories of Bethem: Full Moon (XB1) originally released in 2015

I had never even heard of this game until it popped up in an Xbox One sale earlier this year. I checked out some reviews mentioning it being similar to Link to the Past and since it was only $5 I gave it a shot. And like previously mentioned it is definitely a homage to Link to the Past with the big change being your character uses magic instead of melee but unlike a lot of these type of games it builds its own thing off that base game that is fantastic in its own right. It's got a good sense of humor, great music and it kept me hooked through the 20+ hours it took me to play through it. Highly recommended for action-rpg and Zelda fans.
Old 12-22-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

While I'll probably never play many of these games, I always enjoy reading this. I appreciate the time/effort you put into this.
Old 12-22-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
While I'll probably never play many of these games, I always enjoy reading this. I appreciate the time/effort you put into this.
Thanks! I enjoy doing it. Now onto the real list...
Old 12-22-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

20. Little Nightmares (PS4)

Little Nightmares is one of the creepiest games I've ever played. It's like a weird mix of Inside, Spirited Away and Labyrinth. Gameplay wise it plays similar to Limbo/Inside with you playing a small child dealing with extremely disturbing situations but it has a style and sense of dread all its own. Not for the faint of heart but horror fans should give it a shot.
Old 12-22-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

19. Nier: Automata (PS4)

Platinum is one of those studios who I generally enjoy their games but I don't seem to love them like most people do. Nier: Automata wasn't on my radar since I assumed it was just a sequel to the first Nier but once the rave reviews started coming I figured I'd try it. I found the actual gameplay just ok (it's got way too many systems for my taste) and it's version of an open-world too empty but where it really excels is in the story and characters. Continuing my robot consciousness theme of this thread they do a great job of making you feel for 2B and Nines and the twists and turns the plot takes kept me on my toes. I was a little worried about the talk of multiple playthroughs to experience all the story but they are not really playthroughs in the traditional sense and instead flow nicely into each other and add and change enough to keep the game fresh through to the end.
Old 12-22-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just curious, how many of the endings did you get in Nier? And about how long was your final time for everything?
Old 12-22-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just curious, how many of the endings did you get in Nier? And about how long was your final time for everything?
I played through all of the main A-E storylines and got a few of the other "joke" endings. I think I probably played 30 or so hours.
Old 12-23-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

18. Outlast 2 (PS4)

For anyone who never played the first Outlast let's just say Resident Evil 7 ripped off quite a bit from it and this sequel ramps the scariness up even more. The first Outlast for the most part keeps you confined in a mental hospital but the sequel has you dropped into the Arizona desert and discovering a crazy religious cult so there is a lot more open areas to explore. The core gameplay is like the first game stealth survival horror with puzzle solving and item management. So if you must have combat in your games this is not the game for you since other than some scripted events you run or hide from everything. I usually don't care for stealth games (I hated Evil Within) but I really enjoy the Outlast series and the checkpoints are always close enough where if you die you get right back in quickly. I mentioned earlier that Little Nightmares was the creepiest game I've ever played well Outlast 2 is by far the scariest and most disturbing. Some sequences and images I would have never imagined being in a video game.
Old 12-23-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Thanks for doing this again.

Personally I don't enjoy scary games. It's weird, I'm not one who shouts out in fear, but an unending sense of dread makes me feel nauseous. Not my bag. Still cool to read about though.
I will pick up Little Nightmares once it drops cheaper in a sale. There's the vanilla game and a much more expensive bundle. Did you get that? What's the extra content and is it worth it?
Old 12-23-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Thanks for doing this again.

Personally I don't enjoy scary games. It's weird, I'm not one who shouts out in fear, but an unending sense of dread makes me feel nauseous. Not my bag. Still cool to read about though.
I will pick up Little Nightmares once it drops cheaper in a sale. There's the vanilla game and a much more expensive bundle. Did you get that? What's the extra content and is it worth it?
A couple months after the game came out they added a $7.99 season pass for 3 DLC addon's. I played the first one (you play as a different kid) and it was good (but nothing quite as memorable as the main game) and lasted about an hour. Thanks for reminding me I had forgot about this extra content . Usually when the game has gone on sale it has been for the "complete edition" so if it's not too much more than the main game I would recommend just getting that one.
Old 12-23-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up Little Nightmares Complete Edition at Gamestop this week since it was on sale. They sent me a $5 reward cert that I had to use by the 25th, so it was only $15.
Old 12-23-17, 08:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

thinking of Stories of Bethem. never did played a lot of Link to the Past, but i think, i have played on gameboy, i think. but, think i liked what i played, but sometimes these retro games just don't do it for me after what great modern games we get...
Old 12-23-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,028 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
A couple months after the game came out they added a $7.99 season pass for 3 DLC addon's. I played the first one (you play as a different kid) and it was good (but nothing quite as memorable as the main game) and lasted about an hour. Thanks for reminding me I had forgot about this extra content . Usually when the game has gone on sale it has been for the "complete edition" so if it's not too much more than the main game I would recommend just getting that one.
The base game is on sale for $10 and the Complete Edition is $17.99 on Xbox now as part of their End-Of-Year Sale
Old 12-23-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
The base game is on sale for $10 and the Complete Edition is $17.99 on Xbox now as part of their End-Of-Year Sale
If that's the case I would just get the base game since there is no discount on the DLC in that situation.
Old 12-23-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

17. Subsurface Circular (PC)

This game is from Mike Bithell the creator of Thomas Was Alone (a game I thought was fantastic) and kind of came out of nowhere. I hadn't heard anything about this game until the day it released and according to Bithell it's the first of a group of short story games he plans on making. The game is a text adventure where you play as a robot detective interviewing people on a subway train. It's a really well made story and you have some real hard choices to make. All the gameplay revolves around dialogue trees so if that isn't your bag then move on but for people who enjoy a good story Subsurface Circular is only $5 and will only take a couple hours of your time.
Old 12-24-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

In honor of Questyen's thread, I decided to peruse the 2015 & 216 threads to see what I liked but never picked up(I ended up looking up most of them anyway). Just checking PSN I noticed a few (just looking at the smaller/indie titles) are on sale pretty cheap for those that missed Questrian's previous hits:

Stories: Path of Destinies: $.74 (95% off)
Lifeless Planet: $5.99 (70% off)
Virginia: $1.99 (80% off)
Unravel: $3.99 (80% off)
Inside: $7.99 (60% off)
The Talos Principle: Deluxe Edition: $9.99 (80% off)

There are a few others on sale, but I didn't feel like linking titles that were less than 60% off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.