Reload this Page >

Bill Finger Getting TV/Film Credit on Gotham & Batman v Superman

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 09-18-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

So this is pretty big news. Bill Finger is getting television & film credit on Gotham and Batman v Superman. It's a good step from DC & Warners.

The co-creator of Batman and many of the concepts and characters there-in is finally getting the credit he deserves. Bill Finger will now receive official credit from DC Entertainment on film and television projects based on Batman and his other creations, like Robin, Catwoman, and The Joker. The credit will first show on Gotham season 2 and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

For years, Bob Kane has received sole credit for the creation of Batman and his co-horts, due to a deal he signed in 1939. That has included comic books, TV, video games, and film - any adaptations or new works featuring Batman have said simply, "created by Bob Kane."

Writer Marc Tyler Nobleman has been working tirelessly to help change that, with a book called "Bill the Boy Wonder," and talks at book festivals, comic book conventions, and more. The writer worked directly with Finger's family, trying to help him get the due credit.

DC Entertainment made an official statement to THR on the new change.

"DC Entertainment and the family of Bill Finger are pleased to announce that they have reached an agreement that recognizes Mr. Finger’s significant contributions to the Batman family of characters. “Bill Finger was instrumental in developing many of the key creative elements that enrich the Batman universe, and we look forward to building on our acknowledgement of his significant role in DC Comics’ history,” stated Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. “As part of our acknowledgement of those contributions,” Nelson continued, “we are pleased to confirm today that Bill Finger will be receiving credit in the Warner Bros. television series Gotham beginning later this season, and in the forthcoming motion picture Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

We've reached out to DC Entertainment to find out whether this will also be applied to DC Comics bearing Batman's name and characters - they currently print "Batman created by Bob Kane" in the title/credits page of comics featuring the character.
http://comicbook.com/2015/09/18/bill...an-v-superman/
Old 09-18-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: Bill Finger Getting TV/Film Credit on Gotham & Batman v Superman

I was just coming over to post this. That's pretty awesome.
Old 09-18-15, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Hopefully they fix the comics too.
Old 09-18-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Hopefully they fix the comics too.
No, they shouldn't. Present it as is. Obviously, add his name on the forward or cover of reprinted material but not on the actual pages.
Old 09-18-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally!

Originally Posted by mrhan
No, they shouldn't. Present it as is. Obviously, add his name on the forward or cover of reprinted material but not on the actual pages.
I don't mean to speak for Trevor, but I think he means going forward, like on new Batman comics, not changing the existing ones.
Old 09-18-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Finally!

I don't mean to speak for Trevor, but I think he means going forward, like on new Batman comics, not changing the existing ones.
Yeah, that's fine but old work shouldn't be messed with.
Old 09-18-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

It's a meaningless gesture unless Finger's family gets some kind of royalty. Bob Kane would almost certainly sue WB/DC over this if he were still alive.
Old 09-18-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I think his daughter is his only living kin (and she was somehow born two years after he died. Frozen sperm?). But she should get something.

EDIT: She's his granddaughter, not daughter.
Old 09-18-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-18-15, 02:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Yes, this.
Originally Posted by Preterite
Ty Templeton rocks. I wish my Stig's Inferno books were easily accessible.
Old 09-18-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finger's heirs get royalties from DC. They have been for years. However, while researching his book, Marc Tyler Nobleman found out that they were giving it to the wrong heir! They sorted it out as soon as he brought it to their attention.
Old 09-18-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Well I insist they put his name in every reprint and/or print up a bunch of "And Bill Finger" stickers and stick them on old comic books!
Old 09-18-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Well I insist they put his name in every reprint and/or print up a bunch of "And Bill Finger" stickers and stick them on old comic books!
Ok, George! Let's do that!
Old 09-18-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 596 Likes on 344 Posts

Definitely good news.
Old 10-04-15, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long overdue!
Old 10-12-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marc Tyler Nobleman has seen what the official credit will be during NYCC (via one of the Dark Knight III titles) - Created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.

Old 10-21-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like this week was the week everything ticked over. The Robot Chicken DC Special III was the first place the credit popped up followed by Monday's Gotham.

Today's Batman & Robin: Eternal was the first comic appearance of the new credit.

It's a good day.
Old 12-07-17, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

NYC is naming a street after Bill Finger.

https://13thdimension.com/nyc-street...r-bill-finger/
Old 12-13-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Didn't Bob Kane sign some deal with DC Comics that said only he would be credited with the creation of Batman?
Old 12-14-17, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

It got change a couple of years ago.
Credit now reads, "Batman Created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger".
Old 12-14-17, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Didn't Bob Kane sign some deal with DC Comics that said only he would be credited with the creation of Batman?
The story goes that Jerry Seigel, who felt that he and Joe Schuster (Superman creators) were being taken advantage of tried to get Bob Kane to join them in a joint suit against DC comics. Kane, after talking to Seigel, Kane went to Jack Liebowitz at DC and told him what Seigel and Schuster were planning. Kane was "rewarded" with a renegotiated contract that gave him a higher page rate (for pages he didn't write or draw), credit, and some sort of subsidiary rights to Batman.

Seigel and Schuster ended up working in a mail room and as a delivery messenger and ended up living in relative poverty until Neal Adams publicly shamed DC to get S&S credit and a pension while Kane prospered.
Old 12-19-17, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
It got change a couple of years ago.
Credit now reads, "Batman Created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger".
I'm glad that proper credit is being given, albeit after Finger died. Still surprised that a corporation like WB/DC would do that.

Originally Posted by ytrez
The story goes that Jerry Seigel, who felt that he and Joe Schuster (Superman creators) were being taken advantage of tried to get Bob Kane to join them in a joint suit against DC comics. Kane, after talking to Seigel, Kane went to Jack Liebowitz at DC and told him what Seigel and Schuster were planning. Kane was "rewarded" with a renegotiated contract that gave him a higher page rate (for pages he didn't write or draw), credit, and some sort of subsidiary rights to Batman.

Seigel and Shuster ended up working in a mail room and as a delivery messenger and ended up living in relative poverty until Neal Adams publicly shamed DC to get S&S credit and a pension while Kane prospered.
Why did Siegel and Shuster sue in the first place? I was under the impression that they were still working for DC at the time and making a good living. Was this not true? Or were they afraid that they'd get the boot after their 10 year contract was over?

I read a book about the Golden Age era of Superman, written by Les Daniels, and I was a little taken back to see that the mention of Siegel and Shuster's lawsuit was very biased towards the DC side of things. I'm guessing that Warner Books published it, because it doesn't make sense for a book like that to be a slanted against the creators. It wasn't a whole chapter, just a short paragraph IIRC.
Old 12-19-17, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm glad that proper credit is being given, albeit after Finger died. Still surprised that a corporation like WB/DC would do that.

Why did Siegel and Shuster sue in the first place? I was under the impression that they were still working for DC at the time and making a good living. Was this not true? Or were they afraid that they'd get the boot after their 10 year contract was over?
You are correct, Jerry and Joe were still working for DC at the time. But Superman was huge at that point and they were losing control as others were being hired to work on the character. Also, they were approaching the end of their contracts and, while they were likely making good money for the period, DC was making tons of money. They had sold Superman back in '38 for $130 and wanted their cut. They sued and lost. Jerry eventually went back to work for DC in the late 50s and wrote uncredited Superman stories for Mort Weisinger until he sued again in the 60s.