Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Arachnophobia" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Arachnophobia (1990)

Selected by Group Vote

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Arachnophobia" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Jeff Daniels steals the show with this one but the cast is great with John Goodman, Julian Sands, etc. The intro segment with the rainforest is a good setup and the spiders work well well.

It's been years since I've seen Arachnophobia and really enjoyed it, I remembered it having more obvious comedy than it seems to.

It's odd how movies sometimes make the hero/victims yuppies, like we're suppose to especially relate to the town doctor and his stock broker wife with the crumbling wine cellars. Maybe that's just part of the comedy.
Old 10-31-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is also on Hulu.
Old 10-31-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm not watching the crossover films this year, but I thought I would poke my head in for some discussion here anyway. This is one I remember seeing with a group of friends at the movie theater. We were all 12 or 13. It was a really good time, especially for that age. Good humor, fun scares but almost more adventure than horror, from what I remember. I haven't seen it in years. Maybe I will pick up the Blu-ray at some point.
Old 11-01-17, 04:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm not watching the crossover films this year, but I thought I would poke my head in for some discussion here anyway. This is one I remember seeing with a group of friends at the movie theater. We were all 12 or 13. It was a really good time, especially for that age. Good humor, fun scares but almost more adventure than horror, from what I remember. I haven't seen it in years. Maybe I will pick up the Blu-ray at some point.
This would have awesome to see in the theater. I was 10 when this came out, I remember renting it on VHS for my bday party lol. I watched it over and over but for a week or so after, I'd had to check my bed sheets every night before sliding into bed lol.
Old 11-01-17, 08:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm not sure why this is categorized as comedy. Like 99% of all films, it has some comedic moments, but I don't think it deserves the comedy genre tag. But maybe I'm biased into thinking it absolutely horrific in totality, as I have an extreme fear of spiders.