Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Crazies" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Crazies (1973)

Selected by PCBreakdown

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ GEORGE A. ROMERO COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-10-17 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-26-17, 06:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "The Crazies" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Could have sworn this was on Shudder last I checked, but it's not showing up now.
Old 10-26-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

These white hazmat suits would make killer Halloween costumes.

The Crazies is one chaotic movie that wastes no time getting started; before you know it there are white hazmat suites everywhere. There's maybe too much going on but it definitely gives a good sense of panic. Confused citizens revolting against the military and not understanding the real threat is a good plot.

I love the idea that adults would just get inexplicably violent and this film initially smartly stays away from cheap shocks and gore focusing on the military command center and government prospective. Although I do think Romero's cynicism about government is a little too sarcastic/explicit at times.

The knitting needle scene is chilling, they nailed that one. It's gutsy of them to not show very much of the 'mad people' but I think it ultimately makes the film stronger.

What a bleak ending, probably the most gut punch ending so far this month for me. Usually people die in these movies but the torturous path here with the baby was something else. Now I'm curious how the remake is.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-26-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 02:34 PM

Loved watching this, might have to elevate this to "classic" status in my mental list. Slightly considering watching the remake tonight.
Old 10-26-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I remember watching this one once I heard it was going to be remade. It is really well done with many timely themes for us to chew on. I may try and find the remake tonight if it's not too long.
Old 10-26-17, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These Romero films have me convinced that my beliefs of how screwed up the government is at secrecy and cover ups as well as biological weapons are quite similar to those of his. He makes some very valid points in the film that are still true in todays world.
Old 10-26-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I've watched this film a number of times and have always rally liked it. I actually showed it to a friend not long ago. The movie is a great vehicle for Romero's social commentary. Speaking of commentary, I decided to listen to the audio commentary. It's a really good listen for those who might be interested.

I've always thought the remake was a really solid effort. I still prefer the original, but it's worth watching.
Old 10-26-17, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I've watched this film a number of times and have always rally liked it. I actually showed it to a friend not long ago. The movie is a great vehicle for Romero's social commentary. Speaking of commentary, I decided to listen to the audio commentary. It's a really good listen for those who might be interested.

I've always thought the remake was a really solid effort. I still prefer the original, but it's worth watching.
Seconding that the commentary is very good. Perhaps my favorite of the month. George

And seconding that the remake is surprisingly good.
Old 10-27-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Holy shit, not responding to a fire alarm is kind of a big deal. It was hard for me to enjoy their cute sexy talk when people could be dying!

Now the phone's ringing but he wants her to ignore it. My guess is she's an EMT and they're the worst first responders in the country.

Called it, 'oh those poor kids.' Maybe we could've stopped fucking long enough to do our jobs!

"Break out those syringes, we're gonna need a lot of 'em!" Also something I've heard in downtown Baltimore.
Old 10-27-17, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The two scientists in the high school chem lab are equally crabby. I sense a love connection.

If I was in this movie they would have shot my drunk ass for my bad sense of humor in the first act.
"Hey guys, how does a crazy person travel through the woods? They take the psychopath!"
(gunfire)

Hey is that Dr Frankenstein from Day of the Dead? It's been bugging me all movie but I finally got it when he started doing the nervous tic, which he did so well in DotD.
Old 10-27-17, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw man the military guys pulled the old raptor trick on Clank. "Clever girl"

Well outside of his zombie trilogy I've found Romero to be hit or miss, but I really liked that one. I enjoyed seeing an outbreak play out somewhat from the military response perspective. It was interesting how in such a stressful situation, it would be hard to tell who was infected or just cracking under the pressure. Good stuff.
Old 10-27-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Hey is that Dr Frankenstein from Day of the Dead? It's been bugging me all movie but I finally got it when he started doing the nervous tic, which he did so well in DotD.
Finally figured that out half way through.
Old 10-27-17, 11:49 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I haven't seen either the 1973 or the 2010 version. The trailer for the 2010 looks pretty good. Which version do you think is better?
Old 10-29-17, 01:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoy this more and more with each time I watch it. I was lucky enough to meet George this year at comic con, will never forget it.
Had to watch Night and Dawn with the Crazies as well.
Old 10-29-17, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jholmes
I haven't seen either the 1973 or the 2010 version. The trailer for the 2010 looks pretty good. Which version do you think is better?
I generally prefer the 1973 version, but if I'm in the mood for more explosions and less thinking, the 2010 is a worthy substitute.
Old 11-01-17, 04:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Have to go with the Romero version bc he's the master, but the remake was pretty decent