Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Dolls" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Dolls (1987)

Selected by TheBigDave

IMDB ENTRY

ON VUDU WITH ADS

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ STUART GORDON & ED NAHA COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ CAST COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-10-17 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 08:47 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: "Dolls" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Dolls is free to watch at Vudu (with ads).

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/140697/Dolls
Old 10-13-17, 02:55 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Dolls is on sale today at Vudu for $6.99 (HDX).

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/140697/Dolls
Old 10-13-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

"“The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.” --Oscar Wilde

One of the things I enjoy about Dolls is that it's an old-fashioned morality tale. The people who get turned into dolls deserve their fates, and the innocent escape. Guy Rolfe, who plays the dollmaker, also played Toulon in Puppet Master 3-5, and was the unfortunate protagonist in William Castle's Mr. Sardonicus.
Old 10-15-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

This one brings back memories. It used to air all the time on cable back in the day. I think TBS, maybe TNT, maybe both. It always used to suck me in whenever it was on. I hadn't revisited it in years, so it was fun to watch it again after so long (and now on Blu-ray). I was pleased that the movie seems to have held up really well. I'm sure much of that could have to do with the fact that it is essentially an old-fashioned morality tale, as Gobear pointed out. The doll designs are cool, and some are genuinely creepy.
Old 10-17-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I especially like Dolls, this is at least the third time I've seen it and it holds up. The only flaw is how nonchalantly the ending is handled - 'hey your dad totally abandoned you, but cheers he left you money for a plane ticket.' GoBear nailed it about how well it works as a morality tale and it's brilliant that the dad is part of the 'bad people' getting their comeuppance although most of the characters are too one dimensional bad (especially the stepmon).

The pacing on Dolls is expert with so little being revealed for much of the run time using atmosphere hinting at more going on. The musical score is especially effective and the old couple are well acted.

I love the mutant teddy bear segment at the beginning, it's interesting that the mostly unrelated teddy segment is one of the most explicit.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-17 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 01:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I had always lumped this in with all the Puppetmaster and other Full Moon pictures, which aren't favorites of mine, so avoided it. But wow, this was a fun and well-made film. Decent acting by all, especially the doll maker and his wife, and nice effects.
Old 10-23-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

There had better be some evil dolls for my checklist, as I've already filled it in.
Old 10-23-17, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems that pretty much everyone has covered everything that can be said about this film. All the characters get their just deserts by the end of the film. There are no "evil" dolls in the film, but then again do justified killings make them evil? Seemed like Puppet Master dolls did start out pretty evil; eventually becoming good and the franchise progressed. I did enjoy Dolls, but it seems to be losing some of its appeal over time...for me any way.
Old 10-23-17, 03:15 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I can't seem to warm to these charles band movies. I think Dolls was better than Puppetmaster, but neither really do much for me. maybe im getting old
Old 10-23-17, 04:10 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I bought Dolls when Scream Factory released a Collector's Edition (was supposed to have come with a slipcover but didn't). I'd remembered seeing it when it was on VHS and liking it, thought it was creepy and fun. Watched it when I bought the CE, was definitely entertained. Wife is creeped out by sinister-looking dolls and I was feeling particularly evil one night (), pretty sure she ended up liking it, at least I don't remember her complaining about it...
Old 10-23-17, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I can't seem to warm to these charles band movies. I think Dolls was better than Puppetmaster, but neither really do much for me. maybe im getting old

I'm older than dirt, and I still like them
Old 10-23-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I especially like Dolls, this is at least the third time I've seen it and it holds up. The only flaw is how nonchalantly the ending is handled - 'hey your dad totally abandoned you, but cheers he left you money for a plane ticket.' GoBear nailed it about how well it works as a morality tale and it's brilliant that the dad is part of the 'bad people' getting their comeuppance although most of the characters are too one dimensional bad (especially the stepmon).

The pacing on Dolls is expert with so little being revealed for much of the run time using atmosphere hinting at more going on. The musical score is especially effective and the old couple are well acted.

I love the mutant teddy bear segment at the beginning, it's interesting that the mostly unrelated teddy segment is one of the most explicit.
Actually, it's, 'We've moved to another country, and changed out names'. Got a good laugh out of that one.
Old 10-23-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually never seen this and missed the opening credits. I kept on saying that this had to be a Full Moon movie, because of the puppets. Not surprised to see Band attached to this once the credits rolled.

I actually liked it quite a bit, and this was surprising because I really don't care for Full Moon. There was some really good humor, and the pacing moved things along. It didn't seem likely that the elderly couple were wicked enough thought the movie, and felt there was going to be a lesson thrown in there since all the other adults were pretty bad. There are 2 commentary tracks on the Shout disk, and I may have to revisit them soon.
Old 10-24-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

80s movie. Woman is driving, man is looking at a map. What bizarro universe have we entered here?

(mom throws girls stuffed animal into the woods)
"Not this time, tootsie"
wow Dustin Hoffman truly is a chameleon

(giant stuffed bear rips apart parents)
Ted 3 is a lot darker than the first two movies.
Old 10-24-17, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure where exactly this movie is set but these cockney birds sure feel out of place.

(Randy tells story about how he used to try to feed his toys)
I'm glad that a movie like this featured a major character with autism. #progress

"Don't let the bed bugs bite."
I used to think that was a saying to scare children, a folk tale that grew into the modern subconscious. That is until my shit head roommate brought in cheap craigslist furniture that was infested with bed bugs and I spent the next month of my life sleeping in a sweatsuit armor ensemble that would protect my skin through the night. Fuck that guy.
Old 10-24-17, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"They won't hear me when I sneak out."
says the girl wearing 12 lbs of clinky, jangly jewelry.

Notice how the dolls were fine with the radio, and didn't decide to break it until a Men at Work song was playing!

Oh no, not Ralph! The only likable adult in this movie.
Old 10-24-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I'm with you on this one. What IS Charles Band's fascination with dolls and puppets?

I caught Dolls when it first hit VHS in the late '80s, and I couldn't help but be disappointed in it after Stuart Gordon's one-two punch of Re-Animator and From Beyond. Watching it last night, I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's still an awfully slight film.

I really would like to listen to the Ed Naha commentary (he was the writer), as he wrote one of my favorite horror movie reference books, Horrors: From Screen to Scream:

If I'm remembering correctly, it contains the review of From Hell It Came that said "And to hell it can go."

Last edited by rbrown498; 10-24-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 05:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Really enjoy this one. Never heard of until about a couple years ago. Need to get Shout! blu-ray for sure.