Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"+1" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

+1 (2013)

Selected by Undeadcow

IMDB ENTRY

ON SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "+1" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

I enjoyed Plus One a few years ago when I first stumbled on it, it's a refreshing break from how bleak some of the typical horror tropes can be and has a great wtf premise.

Below are my initial thoughts on the film and I'm looking forward to revising it.
+1 (2013, 95 minutes) ★★★★★★★✰✰✰ Energetic and colorful party based supernatural thriller that hit the spot with an abstract plot that gets brutal but stays intelligent.

Written and directed by Dennis Iliadis, the same guy who directed the Last House on the Left remake.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-22-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-22-17, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this to be enjoyable. I pretty much had figured how the movie was going to play out in the end, but it definitely held my attention. Actor that played David looked very familiar so I had to look him up on IMDB. Only other film he's been in that I've seen was The Purge. Not quite sure how a comparison was made to The Body Snatchers, but then again that's his opinion.
Old 10-22-17, 08:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Holy moley was that a plot twist!
Old 10-22-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Rewatching Plus One this year it holds up. This might be one the the most unsettling 'happy endings' ever, the hero gets the girl and everything goes back to normal after phantasmagorical bloody clone fighting/murder. It's like nothing that happened especially matters now that status quo is back, or is it? Ultimately I think it leaves such unexplainable questions that it's more style over substances, rhetorical over having any actual message but it's abstract enough that I think you can interpret it how you like.

The over the top party is fun (no way would anyone's parents ever be that cool). The girlfriend is such a unbelievably mean spitfire and David's attempt to manipulate the situation is creepy, I still don't really understand the ending between them (other than maybe as a form of David's wish fulfillment that he kills the parts of her girlfriend that are undesirable). The odd girl who finds the best person to understand herself is her duplicate is a clever touch and their kisses flirt with being sexy while also shocking. There's really no way to tell where the movie's going. I like how it seems to establish early on that the duplicates are NOT the real people (seemingly by way of David's duplicate not knowing his own recent history). The duplicates eventually getting into a frenzy that they will be replaced as the originals kill several of them is a clever twist.
Old 10-22-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I never knew this movie existed, but it's probably a good thing I delayed seeing this because the similar movie, Coherence, came out around the same time. It gave me a chance to put some space between the two VERY similar premises. At first, I didn't think either movie would qualify as horror, but when I treat them as a Twilight Zone episode, it works for me

I liked this one ok, but still feel that Coherence is better. Maybe it's because I saw that one first, but even on a lower budget, it still strikes me as more haunting than this one. Anyway, I don't regret watching it. It was still fun.
Old 10-22-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I'll always associate this guy with The Purge, and that is not a good thing.

I really have warmed to these IFC films put out by Shout. I was expecting something for the teenagers, and ended up with something quite different. I know I should have been rooting for one reality over the other, and I'm still not sure which reality we should accept. Was this the 'happy' ending we were looking for?

I did see David killing his ex in the end, as getting rid of the troublesome one, while keeping the one that is cooperating.
Old 10-22-17, 03:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I never knew this movie existed, but it's probably a good thing I delayed seeing this because the similar movie, Coherence, came out around the same time. It gave me a chance to put some space between the two VERY similar premises. At first, I didn't think either movie would qualify as horror, but when I treat them as a Twilight Zone episode, it works for me

I liked this one ok, but still feel that Coherence is better. Maybe it's because I saw that one first, but even on a lower budget, it still strikes me as more haunting than this one. Anyway, I don't regret watching it. It was still fun.
I watched these back to back today, and loved both.
Old 10-23-17, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Okay movie just use a POV style for the opening and have all of the characters look at the camera and say "You fucked up, Davey" like it won't confuse and upset my drunk psyche.

Is there really a world where teenagers have elaborate parties that need bouncers and hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas lights? I feel sorry for this drug dealer who wasn't invited and is just sitting outside brooding. Dude, you're a drug dealer, you can go make your own magic.

You know you fucked up when the naked sushi model says you crossed a line. Little Harvey Weinstein in training motherfucker.
Old 10-23-17, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These mother fuckers coated a tennis ball in vodka and lit it on fire and the movie just cut away like I don't know all of the drinking games and now I'm annoyed that they think they can just allude to something new without a proper payoff.

I'm sorry, I can't buy these drug dealers sitting outside the party and being melancholy. They have drugs, they can have fun anywhere!

Oh they're playing actual tennis with a flaming ball. You ever see drunk people play beer pong? They can't aim for shit. This game would lead to actual burn during the first round. Love - Love more like Skin - graft.
Old 10-23-17, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(Curtains catch fire, sprinkler system goes off. DJ with thousands of dollars worth of equipment smiles and continues playing)
This movie has insulted reality

Okay this chick is naked maybe it's not so bad.

"This is a delicacy in my country"
says the 22-year-old guy with a Mid-Atlantic American accent.
Old 10-23-17, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

screenwriter: I've written cinema's biggest pussy and named him David
director: will that bother viewers who share that name?
screenwriter: not if they're mature adults
DaveyJoe: hold my beer

This girl riding Teddy like sex about to be outlawed.

Power flickering and David in a bathroom with 40 candles all ready lit. This family must be the the 1% cause I been to bath and body works and seen what they charge for candles and it's highway fucking robbery.
Old 10-23-17, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude just head shots his doppleganger without knowing the effect it has on the time/space continuum? Fuck me, I would try all sorts of stuff first like compliments and jokes and how handsome that devil looks. Until he starts killing me I'd give him a chance.

Who hired these erotic dancers for the young adult party? They're not getting tips. They're on a stage with professional lighting. I don't care how rich you are, you don't have this in your home. You can't be like "we don't have strippers tonight so let's use the stripper room for cards against humanity."

Okay some level of apocalypse shits with evil twins and NOW is when David wants to apologize and make up with Jill? You had your chance bruh, when the world's ending Rob Zombie could beg forgiveness for House of 1,000 Corpses and I'd be like "I got you, fam" just cause I don't want to die with that negativity inside me.
Old 10-23-17, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All hell is breaking loose and these hos still on the stage like some I-phone announcement. I love how they take their tops off and house party host is blown away. Dude, who paid them to come dance and strip if not you?

THOTS on stage getting straight scandalous.
audience: oh shit that dude just did a backflip!

Red haired dopplegangers about to kill each other
me: (maybe they'll kiss?)
Old 10-23-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007

I forgot that I saw Coherence last year sometime. I was trying to remember the name, when it was mentioned several times in these threads. I saw it first, and it may be coloring how I view this one. Need to watch them both again before too long.
Old 10-24-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie wasn't bad, I just couldn't get into the premise.
Old 10-25-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I enjoyed it. You could see where it was going, but I wasn't completely sure how it was all going to resolve itself. It was fun to see the mayhem. The boyfriend sure went to a creepy place. Who else think he'll probably end up killing this version of his girlfriend as well?
Old 11-01-17, 05:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I enjoyed it. You could see where it was going, but I wasn't completely sure how it was all going to resolve itself. It was fun to see the mayhem. The boyfriend sure went to a creepy place. Who else think he'll probably end up killing this version of his girlfriend as well?
Agreed. And I enjoyed that it was something different, well at least to me it was. Never heard of it til this challenge.