Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games With Cheap Difficultly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Games With Cheap Difficultly?

Having just completed Super Ghouls And Ghosts on SNES it is by far the game with the cheapest difficulty I’ve ever played.

When you force the player to go back to the very beginning to find a bracelet that’s not good game design. That’s just cheapining the gameplay by artificially lengthening the game. You can’t even find the bracelet in your first run! It only shows up in the second run.

What are some other games with cheap difficulty?
Old 10-19-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Games With Cheap Difficultly?

Dark Souls is the obvious and easiest answer I think. The amount of times that I was randomly killed by some far off enemy throwing a projectile from off screen. Grrrrrrr....
Old 10-19-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Omega Pirate from Metroid Prime. Fuck that boss, can't tell how many times I died fighting him when I finally beat it, I gave it a middle finger and yell, "Got you, motherfucker!"
Old 10-19-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, the Ghouls n Ghosts, Ghosts n Goblins, etc were always champions of cheap difficulty. I always felt the Mega Man series had a lot of cheap difficulty too, so much so I really don't want to play it too much anymore.

A recent game with cheap difficulty in my opinion is the game Has-Been Heroes. If you don't have the right combination of perks and powers in a run, you will get mauled by the last boss. Not to mention if you don't have really good reflexes and can watch three lanes at the same time with laser focus, you don't have much hope either.
Old 10-19-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The first Far Cry had some pretty cheap stuff with normal grunts spotting you from several hundred yards out and nailing you in foliage with sniper-precision accuracy.
Old 10-19-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am playing Ninja Gaiden (NES) now, trying to finish this 30 years later. Talk about cheap.
Old 10-19-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, the Ghouls n Ghosts, Ghosts n Goblins, etc were always champions of cheap difficulty. I always felt the Mega Man series had a lot of cheap difficulty too, so much so I really don't want to play it too much anymore.
I see a lot of people say this about the Mega Man games. I guess I never really felt they were that cheap. A bit challenging and frustrating at times but not so bad that I had real problems playing them. I'm by no means a great gamer either. I played a ton of them as a kid though. I only owned Mega Man 6 but the others were regular rentals.
Old 10-19-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

No Battletoads?

Most arcade games were cheap like that which is probably where ghosts and goblins got it from. I mean the main point of the game is to separate you from your quarters.

Also the newer Ninja Gaiden's, especially II, were very challenging. And whichever Devil May Cry game where they set the default US difficulty to what was HARD mode in Japan.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-19-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't say cheap difficulty but a cheap way to extend the game....Bravely Default for the 3DS.

The bulk of the story is activating 4 crystals across the world...then you get stuck in at time loop and have to activate the 4 crystals again......and again...and again. Admittedly each one takes less time and there are some story elements reflected in the time loop but holy crap was that first "well, we'll have to do it again" annoying.
Old 10-19-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I see a lot of people say this about the Mega Man games. I guess I never really felt they were that cheap. A bit challenging and frustrating at times but not so bad that I had real problems playing them. I'm by no means a great gamer either. I played a ton of them as a kid though. I only owned Mega Man 6 but the others were regular rentals.
I think the worst part of Mega Man were the blind jumps. That's kinda cheap.