Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Theatrical Showing

It| Mother!
Happy Hunting | Leatherface
Jeepers Creepers 3|
Temple| Friend Request
The Houses October Built 2
Welcome to Willits | Jackals
Lycan | Flatliners
The Sound | Cult of Chucky
Gerald's Game| Ouija: Origin of Evil
Dementia 13 | Better Watch Out
The Poughkeepsie Tapes | Jigsaw
Red Christmas | Escape Room
Nightworld | Happy Death Day

Attending a theatrical showing allows you to obtain a bonus entry. If you missed a day, this means you can still check off the subset list as being complete.
The same goes for attending a live event such as a horror convention, haunted house, play, ghost tour, etc. You have one.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-27-17 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Theatrical Showing" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge: Bonus Day

I caught the new IT remake and overall enjoyed it. They did well with the new Pennywise clown who is intense. The bathroom scene in the original film with the girl is my favorite from that version and here they seemed to one up it some (still the balloon in the original is so wtf and mysterious).

***Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Georgie's death was brutal with the arm being ripped off, what a starter.

The bullies were nastier, almost to a fault - not sure if that's true to the Stephen King source novel.

Biggest gripe was that the clown seemed to all powerful that even when the kids are fighting it it doesn't seem like there's much chance of them truly winning; but at the same time he acts so helpless mostly standing there while the kids dismantle him like somehow the power of child togetherness just makes him spellbound.

I'm hoping to also check out Happy Death Day and the Flatliners remake theatrically this month if I can.
Old 10-19-17, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

More later, but hopefully you didn't spend money on Flatliners, undeadcow.
Old 10-19-17, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
More later, but hopefully you didn't spend money on Flatliners, undeadcow.
I haven't seen Flatliners yet... but I still want to; it's one of those things where you walk into a movie expecting it to be bad... I can't explain it. I don't know if I will end up seeing it because I think I'd see Happy Death Day first. I have been warned, thank you.
Old 10-19-17, 10:35 AM

It's not so much that it's absolutely horrible, more that it just seemed a pointless remake. It doesn't really add anything, and I'd say a step down in quality in what was an average film twenty years ago. Great premise, but both just sort of meh in execution.

I'd probably be harsher if I paid the $14 for it, but MoviePass helped me get thru it.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-19-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I caught Flatliners (using MoviePass) and thought it was merely ok.

I went on a day that my local theater gives popcorn to rewards members (free program), so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I enjoyed It. And I'm hoping to see Happy Death Day this weekend and The Snowman before the end of the month.
Old 10-19-17, 03:10 PM

^ Is that Regal by chance Cardsfan? What day?

I've now managed to see a movie the first three days I had the card. Would have cost me almost $45, so even if I see nothing the rest of the year, I'd be a bit ahead on the price. Looking forward to seeing a few more horror films before the end of October, then settling into a probable couple times a month routine.

It was a great film. I've never read the book or seen the first film, but this was a solid mix of scares, heart, and humor; with a pack of kids less annoying than in similar films.

Flatliners was a mediocre pointless remake.

Happy Death Day dragged a bit for me near the end, but was a lot of fun. Again with a nice mix of heart and humor to go with some decent jump scares, and a fairly smart script for a Groundhog Day clone.
Old 10-19-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Is that Regal by chance Cardsfan? What day?
No, a smaller chain that has started offering free popcorn on Tuesdays.

Though I do have a Regal nearby and you get a free popcorn on your birthday (good for 30 days after) with that one.
Old 10-26-17, 06:02 PM

The new Madea film was so bad that it almost became the first film I've made the solo decision to walK out of early. Only stayed for perhaps embarrassing reasons. One, I wanted to be able to count it for this Challenge. Two, there was a mentally challenged man in the theater who was yelling indecipherable rants all movie long, and he was more entertaining than the film.

I've actually enjoyed a couple Tyler Perry movies in the past, but this was completely unfunny.

Might go see Jigsaw tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-26-17, 10:35 PM

I caught Happy Death Day and enjoyed it, it was an upbeat peppy movie with some clever details. I cannot think of how to best describe it but it almost wasn't sinister enough, the killer was more a vehicle for the lead to discover herself than anything else. There were some especially cool moments and I enjoyed the humor even if the film was gimmicky.

My wife wanted to see Boo 2! A Madea Halloween and well... I agree with Trevor that it wasn't good; which makes me wonder if I just don't get it and am too uptight or if there's just nothing great about it. I'm surprised they made a sequel and that more people were at the Madea film than in Happy Death Day, which I saw back to back on the same day.
Old 10-29-17, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hold off on watching Jigsaw, and wait for a redbox rental. It brings nothing to the table that hasn't already been seen many times before, although I did like one of the deaths; it did nothing to improve the movie at all. The traps were designed to punish those that were wrong morally; this one takes it to a personal level of vengeance.
Old 11-01-17, 05:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Saw Jigsaw yesterday, it was pretty good, more of the same formula which is fine by me
Old 11-01-17, 05:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I caught the new IT remake and overall enjoyed it. They did well with the new Pennywise clown who is intense. The bathroom scene in the original film with the girl is my favorite from that version and here they seemed to one up it some (still the balloon in the original is so wtf and mysterious).

***Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Georgie's death was brutal with the arm being ripped off, what a starter.

The bullies were nastier, almost to a fault - not sure if that's true to the Stephen King source novel.

Biggest gripe was that the clown seemed to all powerful that even when the kids are fighting it it doesn't seem like there's much chance of them truly winning; but at the same time he acts so helpless mostly standing there while the kids dismantle him like somehow the power of child togetherness just makes him spellbound.

I'm hoping to also check out Happy Death Day and the Flatliners remake theatrically this month if I can.
Agreed, the bathroom seen was pretty excellent
Old 11-01-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Saw IT, mother!, Happy Death Day, Flatliners. Unfortunately, didn't make it to Snowman.

If I had to rank them, I'd say, from best to worst...

Happy Death Day - a couple good twists on the Groundhog Day plot line, but I wish there was an R rated version which could have made it better
mother! - story was crazy, but it really creeped me out by the end
IT - maybe should have ranked it above mother!, but here it is... loved the R ratedness of it and the use of real kids for the kid roles
Flatliners - a very distant last. really disappointed in this movie. I loved the original and there were so many places they could have gone with it in a modernised story... but they didn't go ANYWHERE with it. not even as good as the original. Stupid PG13 movie!