Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Pin" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Pin (1988)

Selected by mallratcal

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ DIRECTOR COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-10-17 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "Pin" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

I started watching this one today not realizing it's the subset pick for Tuesday. This is going to be great! In the first 10 minutes you have, 1) A talking anatomical model, 2) Terry O'Quinn wearing one of his Stepfather sweaters. Really can't wait to finish this Tuesday.
Old 10-16-17, 08:32 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been meaning to watch this since I saw a preview on the Scream channel (RIP) so long ago. Hope it's good.
Old 10-17-17, 09:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Until seeing this was today's subset pick, I had never even heard of this movie. Now, after watching it, I have to say it has been my favorite thing I have seen yet this challenge. Thanks for the pick mallratcal!
Old 10-17-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm surprised Pin is such an obscure movie without available release; it seems worthy of a brushing off.

Did... did a sexually frustrated nurse just intermingle with an anatomical dummy? Hmmm... but... well... ok...

Terry O'Quinn is always great, the opening segment of him standing in the window and kids debating if he's a dummy or not seems too on the nose (equating the Pin dummy with the dad).

The Leon character does creepy well. It's an interesting scenario with the sister seeming to be like a hostage in her own home; it's enough to make me wonder why she doesn't just leave or demand help for her brother most immediately.

The ending is excellent, what an intense axe segment.

The strange thing about the internet is that you never know who is real, who is a figment of your imagination, and who is an anatomical dummy on the other side.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-17 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-17-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, Pin just gave the birds and the bees talk. I don't think I could think of anything more mortifying than getting this talk with my sister.
Old 10-17-17, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Oh man, Pin just gave the birds and the bees talk. I don't think I could think of anything more mortifying than getting this talk with my sister.
Well... I bet your sister never went around saying "I think I'm really going to like it when I get older" when the topic of sex did come up.
Old 10-17-17, 01:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
Until seeing this was today's subset pick, I had never even heard of this movie. Now, after watching it, I have to say it has been my favorite thing I have seen yet this challenge. Thanks for the pick mallratcal!
I'm happy you liked it!

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
How about if your father asked you to watch him give your sister an abortion?

This was a creepy movie.
Old 10-17-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I liked this, but it did come off a little as a poor man's Psycho. Still, it was worth a viewing and entertained for the time it was on. Creepy family.
Old 10-17-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I don’t think I’ll get to revisit PIN today, but I echo the positive feedback for it (Saw it in the very first challenge here) and I agree with Undeadcow on the status of a proper release for this great creepy flick.
Old 10-17-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Reading your sibling rape fantasy poetry after dinner to the sister's new boyfriend? Bold move, Leon. Bold move.

I wasn't sure going in, but I ended up liking this one quite a lot. The lead guy was creepy, and I understood the sister's point of view of not wanting to abandon her brother in an institution and just trying to care for him as best as she can. I wondered why Leon didn't check to see if the boyfriend was still breathing. Not surprised at that fake out. If this got a proper Blu-ray release, I would pick it up. I'm happy to have had the chance to watch a film I would have never otherwise seen - or maybe even heard of.
Old 10-17-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I forgot to mention that Pin had the best jump scare so far this month for me. It came during the scene when Leon eventually ended up hitting the boyfriend over the head. The boyfriend had just come over. They're talking. I'm into the scene and then BAM. TV goes to black. I jumped for a second and noticed that all my electronics were off. A couple of seconds later, the power flips back on. Just a quick electrical blink, but it made me jump!
Old 10-17-17, 05:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Great selection, and fits the theme perfectly. I have vague recollections of seeing this one, but it must have been years and years ago on cable, as those DVD releases don't look familiar and I don't think has ever been on NF or AP.
Old 10-17-17, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
...BAM. TV goes to black. I jumped for a second and noticed that all my electronics were off. A couple of seconds later, the power flips back on. Just a quick electrical blink, but it made me jump!
Are you sure it wasn't your imaginary friend acting up again?
Old 10-17-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that was really good. That's why I love these challenges, because it gives a good opportunity to experience things I wouldn't have otherwise. I really enjoyed this one, and would definitely pick it up if it ever came out on blu. I've always felt my family was strange, but the Lindens have taken the prize today.

I was watching this on the bus and was captivated by how it was progressing. I decided to take a break and caught the guy one isle over striking out with he lady he was hitting on. He was really trying hard and it was a site to behold the flames of defeat.
Old 10-17-17, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 23 minutes in and I get the feeling Leon wants to have a deeper relationship with Ursula...
Old 10-17-17, 08:39 PM

yup the poem pretty much seals the deal
Old 10-17-17, 09:04 PM

Very enjoyable; I will be watching this one again soon
Old 10-17-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I had to search DVD Profiler to realize I owned this DVD! So there's a REALLY long standing unwatched title from my collection! Very creepy, in a good way. I'm tempted to watch it again with the commentary. Does anyone know if it's good?
Old 10-17-17, 11:09 PM

Really enjoyed this, one of the better watches of the challenge so far for sure. Been wanting to see this for years so glad I finally did. Love finding good hidden gem horror flicks.
Old 10-18-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, I DID watch it a second time with the commentary track. It was very informative. Rather than have just the screen writer/director who hadn't seen the film in 5 years on his own, they had him with another person (journalist, I think) who obviously knew the film well and was very good at prompting the director for comment. Oh, and it turns out the film is Canadian, filmed in Montreal with an almost entire Canadian cast and crew.
Old 10-18-17, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Written and directed by Sandor Stern. CLEGANEBOWL CONFIRMED (AIRHORN)

Is it me or do these kids look more stoned than Jeff Lebowski in the bath tub?

Fifteen years earlier? That's not how it's supposed to work in horror. You open with the flashback so we know why our protagonist is fucked up.
Old 10-18-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Let's see, what shall I have you do for me to tonight?"
Is the same thing I say to my microwave when I finally get home from work.

Two polite, white, adorable genius children? CBS is scrambling to hire them for their new prime time series.

WTF Pin is a skinless robot or some shit? I'm still trying to get over Martyrs, and this happens to be the next subset pic?
Old 10-18-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first conversation the children have with Pin and he's immediately assigned to a Government list.
"Hi, I'm your new neighbor Pin, and I told the children I had to be naked for learning purposes."

"Do you think I have nothing better to do with my time than clean up after you and your friends?"
Leon: "Uh, look at how nice this house is, mom, we probably have a fucking maid."

This nurse just raped the science robot because of course she did. From here on out we have to rate Subset picks on how much whiskey I should have on hand before watching.
Old 10-18-17, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kid blows out birthday candles in 1980s: how adorable, everybody dig in.
Kid blows out birthday candles in 2017: you just increased cake bacteria by 1400 percent

Young Leon is fascinated by music box ballerina. Young Ursula is fascinated by dirty magazine breasts. This movie might have much more complex characterization than I was anticipating.

(Naked robot explains sex to young children)
I suppose it beats abstinence training.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.