Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightbeasts (2010) or how to boost a crappy movie with fake reviews and ratings

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last August I stumbled across a movie on YouTube called Nightbeasts. I watched it, and it was lame but filled with unintentional humor. I went to IMDb afterwards to see who was responsible for this hot mess and much to my surprise it had a 7.8/10 rating.
So I looked up the reviews and there were about 250 fake ones, obviously posted by the same person(s).
I went to check again today and the review count is up to 280 since August, and the rating went up a notch to 7.9/10.

Take a look: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1513835/reviews

According to IMDb rules a movie's rating is "legit" when it reaches 1,500 votes. This was obviously the goal of this person (1,747 votes so far) and it boggles my mind. I believe you can only rate the same movie once, so this person actually signed up and created 1,700 accounts just to vote once. Can someone explain how this is even possible?

As for the movie, it is worth a watch if you like them so bad so funny but it is definitely NOT 7.9/10 material.

Last edited by hbilly; 10-12-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Nightbeasts (2010) or how to boost a crappy movie with fake reviews and ratings

How do you know that one person created all those accounts and user reviews? I am not saying you're wrong, I just wanted to know what is the giveaway?

There are also 4 external reviews and all 4 are positive.
Old 10-13-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nightbeasts (2010) or how to boost a crappy movie with fake reviews and ratings

You don't see it? I thought it was more than obvious.

They are all positive reviews, only two external reviews giving it negative ratings. They are mostly 3-4 lines, the mention of Sasquatch and Zach Galligan in almost every review, posted by people with names like

Author: mudslinger-30927
Author: nightcreeper-73535
Author: shadygrady-07599
Author: starstorm-54609
Author: suedeboots-14393
Author: cheapthrill-35883

Anyway, I think it is kind of hilarious that a person or persons would put in so much effort just to draw attention for a bad movie.
Old 10-13-17, 12:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Nightbeasts (2010) is the type of fun romp Hollywood just doesn't make anyore! I know I'm always on the lookout for quality movies about my favorite creature, the Sasquatch! So when I saw there was a fun indie film on the topic, starring none other than Hollywood hitmaker Zach Galligan (Billy from Gremlins), I was elated! This is a great throwback to the films I used to love as a teen! ******/*****

Old 10-14-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I keep reading the movie title as Nightbreasts. That is probably why the high rating.
Old 10-14-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Seven years is a long wait for the sequel Daybreasts. Wonder what the holdup is.
Old 10-14-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

How do we know it isn't you, hbilly!? It is pretty evident ... you bring in this movie that nobody has ever heard of before ... you say it's worth watching ... even your name "hbilly" = Billy from Gremlins = Zach Galligan! We're on to you! We know this master cabal started back in 2009 when you joined! 8+ years of laying low doesn't cover this up!

Old 10-14-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Seven years is a long wait for the sequel Daybreasts. Wonder what the holdup is.
I am looking forward to this. Nightbreasts was so dark, you could barely see breasts. And that quick cut editing, ugh! It was even worse in 3D due to the darkened image. Finally we'll get to see breasts in full on daylight, just like the monsters in the new Pacific Rim movie!