Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"One Dark Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

One Dark Night (1982)

Selected by Chad

IMDB ENTRY

ON PRIME

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ "NIGHT IN THE CRYPT" WORKPRINT

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ DIRECTOR & WRITER COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ DIRECTOR & PRODUCER COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-09-17 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 08:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: "One Dark Night" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Bump for today's film.
Old 10-14-17, 11:29 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

This one is a real snoozer. Not the most auspicous start for Tom McLoughin. The film takes way to along to setup the horror set pieces. Is it just me or does the Mausoleum look like the one from Phantasm?

Last edited by numbercrunch; 10-14-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 04:03 PM

I'm in the mood for more movies set in a mausoleum. Maybe I'll open that Phantasm boxset tonight.
Old 10-14-17, 04:54 PM

Pretty sure I own the out of print three pack that contains this film. Tempted to open it for this film, but just went with the Prime version today.

Numbercrunch, I see your point about it being slow going for awhile, but somehow this one really kept my interest. It jumped around between the subplots enough to put me off kilter I guess, and then the creepy atmosphere of the mausoleum sold me.

But it doesn't seem very splattery for today's theme. The dead effects were nice, maybe counts as gore I guess. But this gave me reason to get to a couple unopened splatter BDs, where I am really enjoying The Dorm that Dripped Blood.
Old 10-14-17, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
This one is a real snoozer. Not the most auspicous start for Tom McLoughin. The film takes way to along to setup the horror set pieces. Is it just me or does the Mausoleum look like the one from Phantasm?
From the outside no it doesn't look like the mausoleum from Phantasm, but the inside it does. Most mausoleums look pretty much the same from the inside. At least the pranksters got what they deserved
Old 10-14-17, 09:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Trevor on this one. The build up was LONG but it kept my interest since it switched between the teens and the story of the psychic which I though was interesting but would have been too slow in one lump. I liked the last 10 or 15 minutes and thought some of the effects were pretty nifty but that noise they used along with the little lightening bolts out of the guy's eyes almost drove me up a wall.
Old 10-14-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omike
I agree with Trevor on this one. The build up was LONG but it kept my interest since it switched between the teens and the story of the psychic which I though was interesting but would have been too slow in one lump. I liked the last 10 or 15 minutes and thought some of the effects were pretty nifty but that noise they used along with the little lightening bolts out of the guy's eyes almost drove me up a wall.
Wow, didn't know he had that kind of power! Me, I was well protected. I have anti-demon glare on my TV. It comes standard with the new UHD sets. I also just updated the firmware to include anti-occultist glare as well. Just in time, too!
Old 10-14-17, 11:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I was hoping for a little more Adam West action.
Old 10-15-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love this one. Great atmosphere with the Gothic throwback feel about it. Yes, it's a slow burn before the face-melting commences, but man what a payoff for the final act with those uber realistic gooey corpses.

The Code Red Blu-ray not so much. Cool slip from Ronin aside, it's only got marginally better PQ than the old DVD.
Old 10-15-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm in the mood for more movies set in a mausoleum.
Not entirely inside, but great short nonetheless:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MkDYFt762_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's also included on the DVD of "That Little Monster".
Old 10-15-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Hmm. Yes, I agree this is was a LONG setup. I really do love Meg Tilly, but I just wasn't going to have it. There was a screenshot in the forum of that white marbled mausoleum, and I immediately thought Phantasm.
Old 10-15-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I watched this one earlier in the challenge, and I liked it. It kept my attention throughout, and I thought the ending was a good payoff, even though the eye lasers were a bit cheesy. I agree that this does seem like an odd choice for splatter/gore day, but it serves the purpose.
Old 10-15-17, 09:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Wow, didn't know he had that kind of power! Me, I was well protected. I have anti-demon glare on my TV. It comes standard with the new UHD sets. I also just updated the firmware to include anti-occultist glare as well. Just in time, too!
Actually it was the noise that almost drove me nuts not the little lighting bolts which I kind of liked so if you have any suggestions on anti-demon earplugs I'm in the market!
I thought it might be ambiguous when I typed it but my ears were ringing too much for me to care.
Old 10-15-17, 10:58 PM

Random aside, but speaking of anti-demon stuff (and Dick), demonic voices are perhaps what genuinely scares me the most in horror films. The voices in Evil Dead, for example, can sometimes get me under the covers and scared to open my eyes.
Old 10-22-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

One Dark Night is one of those movies that I'd kept hearing great things about so I was glad for this excuse to finally watch it. The setup with the dead bodies piled in the closet and the utensils stuck in the wall was weird enough to hook me in through the slower introduction but it's anticlimatic for a paranormal researcher to just show up and reveal psychic vampirism. The idea of psychic vampirism seems to have a lot of potential, I'm surprised more films haven't linked vampirism and telekinesis.

These sorority initiations never end well... those corpses were especially well done.

Does anyone know if the workprint edition is significantly different/better?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-23-17 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 05:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't even notice that Adam West was in this until he showed up on the screen. RIP.