Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Bubba Ho-Tep" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

Selected by Trevor

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ AUTHOR JOE R. LANSDALE COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ DON COSCARELLI & BRUCE CAMPBELL COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ "THE KING" COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-09-17 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: "Bubba Ho-Tep" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Its been awhile since I've seen this. Good to revisit it for this subset day. Even though I got the dvd, I chose to give MGMHD's showing a look. It still retained the charm that I loved (Way back?!?!) in 2002. I also think this was what put Brian Tyler on the map. IMO, he was the one that brought back that spaghetti western/exploitation sound before the retro sound started to get popular again in later years. Went on to score MCU films!
Old 10-12-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Parts of Bubba Ho-Tep seem iffy but are actually handled really well - it seems relentlessly weird just for the sake of seeming 'cult,' but despite the oddball fake elvis and black jfk the theme of a supernatural force feasting on nursing home residences is a smart idea. Some of the narration is especially clever and even the sillier concepts end up working ok. I wish the film wouldn't have spent so much of the first third focusing on fake elvis and his backstory. Thematically the over exaggerated cartoonish characters work as examples of vitality in a field of death, but the films oversells it a little (maybe they needed filler due to to short story source?).

I'd be curious to read the story this is based on.
Old 10-12-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I've got the DVD buried somewhere and I've got to do some searching when I get home. I've decided to take Friday off again, so I can take my time tonight looking for the DVD. How does the Shout disk look?
Old 10-12-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

The DVD also has a pretty fun commentary track done by Bruce as Elvis.
Old 10-12-17, 09:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Somehow never saw this until today, although most Octobers are a blur so maybe I did see it before. Bruce Campbell films are usually enjoyable for me, and this was not one of the exceptions. Pleasantly surprised to see a favorite in Ossie Davis having a nice part. Not sure if I've seen a non-Phastasm Don Coscarelli film before, oh wait, I loved John Dies at the End!
Old 10-12-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
How does the Shout disk look?
I watched the Shout Factory blu-ray and it's got a nice improvement in clarity and definition but colors are sometimes a little muted with some softness (maybe this is due to the dim lighting in the nursing home). Shout's blu is an obvious improvement from the DVD. Watching the blu-ray I noticed more stuff like set design splotches on the dirty walls of the nursing home. I was hesitant to double dip but glad I did; probably the film could use a remastering and look even better but I was satisfied.
Old 10-12-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

It's interesting how the killer mummy feels like an afterthought here. The pleasure of watching this is seeing the interplay of Bruce Campbell as an elderly demented Elvis and Ossie Davis as black JFK.
Old 10-12-17, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Somehow never saw this until today, although most Octobers are a blur so maybe I did see it before. Bruce Campbell films are usually enjoyable for me, and this was not one of the exceptions. Pleasantly surprised to see a favorite in Ossie Davis having a nice part. Not sure if I've seen a non-Phastasm Don Coscarelli film before, oh wait, I loved John Dies at the End!

I agree with you although admittedly I haven't seen all of Bruce Campbell's films; I may give this another try at a latter date since my tastes in films do change from time to time. I Haven't seen John Dies at the End, but I have been thinking of watching it at some point
Old 10-12-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Infinite replay value for me. Probably Bruce's least hammiest and best overall performance; he and Ossie have great chemistry together. And explaining the plot to the uninitiated is just as fun as the movie itself.

I'm guessing at this point the proposed sequel with Paul Giamatti is never coming to fruition, although the prequel (Bubba and the Cosmic Blood-Suckers) is now out ...as a novel that seems to be a bit under the radar:

Last edited by Chad; 10-12-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 07:26 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I love this film. I thought Bruce Campbell's performance as elvis was his best ever. I think this film is an example of horror/comedy done right. There were moments i laughed out loud , which is a rare thing.
Old 10-12-17, 08:47 PM

The Campbell/Coscarelli commentary is a lot of fun so far. Tempted to listen to all three tonight, but doubt I'll be able to stay awake that long.
Old 10-12-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I love this film. I was happy it was selected because it gave me an excuse to finally purchase the Blu-ray. As others have said, the performances really make this film come to life. Ossie Davis is funny, but Bruce Campbell gives such a great performance. I love that you don't really question that he's Elvis, but it also doesn't feel like a straight-up imitation either. I felt he gave a similar performance in Fargo as Reagan. It just worked, and Campbell made it his own.

Now I'm really tempted to move on to the commentaries. So much goodness to dive into.
Old 10-13-17, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I haven't seen this movie since the early 2000s but it's just as good as I remember, if not better. What's interesting is all of the love we're giving it for being funny, but it's also a very somber movie. This isn't a horror movie because there's a soul sucking mummy, the horror of this movie is about the reality of aging and mortality, and the regrets we all have as we reach the twilight of our lives. Were we selfish? Will our family be there for us in our time of need? Or will we quietly fade away as a rotating shift of employees checks in on us periodically.

I live across from a senior home and every once in a while I'll notice flashing lights across the street. It always breaks my heart to think of a person with a long history and life full of experiences to finally end in a place that's not truly home. As silly as Bubba Ho-Tep might seem on the surface, it is all about the sadness of aging, but what I love about it is the friendship that Elvis and Jack forge. Even when you're ashamed of your suffering from erectile dysfunction and occasionally shitting your pants, there's still hope of making a new friend and going on an adventure, which is what life is all about.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-13-17 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Well said DaveyJoe. I'm in very close proximity to a 'rest' home as well, and there are ambulances there all the time. A constant and daily reminder of our mortality.

It's been a long while since I've seen this and it holds up pretty well. To me, this movie is more about getting old and dying than a mummy flick. I felt this one devoted too much time to the Elvis backstory, but I still found it very entertaining. I paired this movie with Cemetery Man (1994), another great movie about mortality and death.
Old 10-13-17, 06:32 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I adore this film and still remember the first time I saw it, at a midnight showing at SXSW. I try to watch it every year, usually at the end of the challenge when I'm revisiting old favorites.

I agree with the poster above that the mummy is almost an afterthought. I confess I often get a bit choked up at the end...just me?

And yes, the commentaries are great.
Old 10-13-17, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too much to add that hasn't already been said but for me was a decent movie about aging and mortality. Glad I finally saw it.
Old 10-15-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Ohhh man, a movie I had heard good things about. I didn't know what to make of it at first but it turned out to be rather poignant and like others I enjoyed Campbell and Davis. Glad I finally saw it too.
Old 10-15-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, this is a smart horror movie with humor and heart. I haven't watched my DVD in years, but I think I'll put it in over the Halloween season this year.
Old 10-15-17, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Yep, this is a smart horror movie with humor and heart.
Great summary statement of the film. It's rare to get well done laughs, scares, and heart all in the same film.
Old 11-01-17, 05:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Seeing this for the second time. And feel the same the second time. I love Bruce but I just couldn't get into it. I'm almost ashamed of how I feel.