Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Blu-ray connection to wireless network...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-12-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Okay, so I bought a Sony BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player for $80 at P.C. Richard & Son. The deal maker was its built-in wireless Wi-Fi connection, so I could watch stuff from the computer on my bedroom TV set. When I tried to set it up at home it failed to make the connection to my home internet provider, so I tried each of the other options and they each demanded a password. So I called up my cable/internet provider and was told that the router I had was TP-Link, which was not one of theirs. She told me to click on the TP-Link connection when the options came up for wireless connections for this Blu-ray player. I did and it demanded a password. I don't recall ever putting in a password for this router. I've had no trouble playing movies off Amazon Prime on my kindle through this connection and don't recall ever having to type in a password to do that. If I ever did I have no idea what it is nor any idea how to retrieve it if I have one. On the router box itself it has a plate at the bottom with info on it. For Password it just says "admin." When I tried typing that in for the Blu-ray player it was rejected.

I googled this question and couldn't find anything comprehensible.

I just want this Blu-ray player to pick up my home internet connection so I can watch stuff from YouTube and Amazon Prime on my bedroom TV monitor.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-17, 04:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Question about Blu-ray connection to wireless network...

When I connected my Sony blu-ray player to my wireless network, I entered the 10-digit numerical key that is listed on the label, on the router.
Old 10-12-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh! There it is right there where I looked before but didn't notice (awfully small print). I found the password and entered it. I was able to connect to my Amazon Video account. It took a looonnnnnggggg time to load, but now I've got the 1st ep. of Curb Your Enthusiasm playing on it. But it keeps stopping to buffer.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, here's what it said when I tried to watch it:

"Insufficient Bandwidth
Your device's bandwidth is too low.
This can cause your video to repeatedly pause.
Do you want to continue watching?
Yes
No"

Why would they sell a Blu-ray player with streaming capability and Wi-Fi connection and then not give it enough bandwidth to actually watch something?

Or is it my router that doesn't have enough bandwidth?

I'm confused.

What can I do?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-17, 08:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

TP-Link typically makes good networking products, I hesitate to place the blame there unless there are protocols to check that I am unaware of. You might try a call to TP-Link's CS, they might be able to either rule out the router as being at fault or provide a resolution. If it's not the router at fault, your internet service provider might be trying to pull a fast one on you saying it's your router in an attempt to sell you one of "theirs".
Old 10-13-17, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of questions to diagnose poor streaming across wifi.

1. What is your ISP giving you at the router for bandwith? Run a test at speedtest.net ideally from a laptop wired directly into the router.

2. Now test your speed over wifi at various locations around the house. Especially at the room where the bluray player is located.

Do you notice a speed drop over wifi and/or at the various points around the house?

If yes you may need to relocate the wifi access point or add additional access points or look at running wired connections. Wired connections are best for streaming (most reliable).
Old 10-13-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I have never had luck with disc players or TVs that say they are wireless. I always had problems with speed and buffering issues when I would use those. I find that a dedicated streaming box, like a Roku, yields much better results. Yes, it is a separate device, but they are small.
Old 10-13-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once upon a time I bought what I thought was a Roku and when I finally got up the courage to try and install it, I noticed that the box labeled it a Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router with "Built-in DSL modem." Somewhere on the box it says Smart Wizard also. But no mention of "Roku" anywhere. That confused me. Maybe the sales clerk told me it was the equivalent of a Roku. I don't remember.

Anyway, my attempts to install it failed. I simply couldn't understand the instructions. Hence, I bought the Sony Blu-ray player that promised streaming and Wi-Fi.
Old 10-13-17, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try a homeplug if your having wifi issues.

https://thefamilyhelpdesk.com/2012/1...or-networking/
Old 10-13-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The Wi-Fi connections in most standalone Blu-ray players don't give off strong signals. So if you have a wireless router with sketchy coverage, there can be problems if you don't connect by ethernet cable or the electric plugs.
Old 10-16-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I moved the new player to the living room and connected it to the TV there and it gets Amazon Video fine now that it's just a few feet away from the router. Problem solved.

Thanks.

I watched one complete movie from Amazon Prime so far: Walter Hill's THE ASSIGNMENT (2016), which I enjoyed.
Old 10-16-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Wi-Fi connections in most standalone Blu-ray players don't give off strong signals. So if you have a wireless router with sketchy coverage, there can be problems if you don't connect by ethernet cable or the electric plugs.
Exactly what I have found. The same thing as when all in one units were popular. Whether they were tvs with built in dvd/vhs players, or all in one home theater units. They work well enough. But each component is just a little worse than it's standalone counterparts.

If one is interested in streaming, get a dedicated streamer. The right tool for the job.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I moved the new player to the living room and connected it to the TV there and it gets Amazon Video fine now that it's just a few feet away from the router. Problem solved.

Thanks.

I watched one complete movie from Amazon Prime so far: Walter Hill's THE ASSIGNMENT (2016), which I enjoyed.
But that doesn't solve the issue on the bedroom tv, does it?
Old 10-18-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
But that doesn't solve the issue on the bedroom tv, does it?
I'll just keep watching DVDs and Blu-rays in the bedroom like before. If I want to watch Amazon Video in the bedroom, I can just use the Kindle like I did before.
Old 10-18-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'll just keep watching DVDs and Blu-rays in the bedroom like before. If I want to watch Amazon Video in the bedroom, I can just use the Kindle like I did before.
If you don't mind adding a device, a Roku or Fire Stick wouldn't be a bad addition. Seem to have a stronger wireless connection most of the time and will get you the streaming access you want, while not taking up a lot of space. Provided you have a free HDMI port of course. Just something to consider.
Old 11-06-17, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey ASH KETCHUM.

trying to message you about ART BELL radio shows on tapes.

Can i buy yours, and convert them to mp3s and then send them back to you for free?

i have the largest Art Bell mp3 collection in the world..
id even give you what ever you wanted (art bell shows) if your collection was good.

how many tapes? can you send a quick list of dates with guests name?
looking for 2002 and prior.

i joined this site to contact you...
do you know anyone else with old tapes of ART BELL?
thanks!
can you pm people here?. i didnt see the option to do that.
or brugvu at hotmail

wanna take a ride? $$$
mike