DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted unrelated wiki from a different thread
Print Wikipost

Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

Old 10-08-17, 10:55 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

Rumors are going around that there's a new movie locker system coming soon called Movies Anywhere. It's based on Disney Movies Anywhere.

Fox, Disney, Sony, Universal and Warner are all on board. Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate are not yet part of it.

Vudu, iTunes, Amazon and Google Play are all on board.

Here's an image:

And there's a bigger image with more info at this link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...c-0c07814be1fa

Here's a list of titles (almost 7,000) that are supposed to be eligible for Movies Anywhere:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1408869864
Old 10-08-17, 11:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

This would be sweet!

What would happen if I had a movie I bought on Fandangonow (or flixster or cinemanow, etc), and got access to it on vudu through Ultraviolet? I wonder if that would port over through this new system or not.
Old 10-08-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I love Disney Movies Anywhere, so this would be awesome!

Doesn't look like my Xbox movies will transfer over, though. Which is really unfortunate because my PS3 has better wireless connectivity than my X1.
Old 10-09-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant
This would be sweet!

What would happen if I had a movie I bought on Fandangonow (or flixster or cinemanow, etc), and got access to it on vudu through Ultraviolet? I wonder if that would port over through this new system or not.
Well I would "assume" UV would not go away (at least not right away) and if you already bought it and its over on VUDU right now, I would think you would be fine as it's already "purchased". Fantastic to see that Amazon is part of something like this as I have several things on there that I don't have on other services.
Old 10-10-17, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

What's wrong with Ultraviolet, other than the name, that they would need to do this? I always thought Disney Movies Anywhere was around just because Disney's always thought they were 'special' and had to keep their stuff separate, but if they let in other studios that'll nix that idea. If this just ends up merging with Ultraviolet and makes those movies playable on other services then that'd be cool, but otherwise sounds like another PITA. Vudu is still the best option anyways, except for a couple titles I have which are only in 2-channel sound there but 5.1 on FandangoNow, though there's more 2.35 movies on that which are cropped but presented properly on Vudu.
Old 10-10-17, 04:01 PM

News from Variety:

Disney Movies Anywhere Adds Fox, WB, Universal

The industry divide between UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere could be ending. But instead of merging cloud-based storage platforms, UltraViolet backers 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Pictures are joining Disney’s KeyChest storage platform, according to Bloomberg. A formal announcement is pending.

Lionsgate is said to be interested, while financial disagreements are keeping Paramount Pictures on the sidelines, according to the report. No word about Sony Pictures.

READ MORE: http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...rt-1202585994/
Old 10-10-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Are those the same kind of disagreements that seem to make my Paramount titles not eligible for D2D?
Old 10-10-17, 04:05 PM

News from Bloomberg:

Disney and Fox Join Forces With Other Studios for New Download Service

Several major Hollywood movie studios have signed up to a new digital film service led by Walt Disney Co. that lets consumers buy movies and store them in a digital locker to access on their devices, people familiar with the matter said.

Disney has been courting studios to join its Movies Anywhere service since last year, Bloomberg News reported at the time. Customers can watch and keep their online film purchases at a single site through the product. 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Pictures are among the major studios joining the service, the people said. The plan could be announced as soon as this week, they said.

--------------------

Viacom Inc.’s Paramount Pictures is the only one of the six major studios that isn’t joining Movies Anywhere, because of a disagreement over financial terms, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. Paramount, maker of the Transformers films, and smaller Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., home of “The Hunger Games,” are supportive of the concept and may join later, two people said.

Disney Movies Anywhere used a proprietary storage technology called KeyChest that allows consumers to access movies on one site, whether they’re purchased online from Apple Inc.’s iTunes, Amazon.com Inc., Google Inc. or a brick-and-mortar store like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. The service offered films from all of the company’s brands, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.

READ MORE: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wnload-service
Old 10-10-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also from that article:

With the rise of Netflix Inc. and other video services, studios may be too late to persuade consumers to buy movies to keep and re-watch, said Rich Greenfield, analyst at BTIG said, who has a buy rating on Netflix and a sell rating on Disney.

“The consumer has moved on from ownership of media to access via subscription services,” he said.
Old 10-10-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Also from that article:
“The consumer has moved on from ownership of media to access via subscription services,” he said.
BULLS**T. Oh wait...I'm the exception, not the norm, eh? That's why people pay for Netflix only and still want to buying freaking dvds.
*sigh*...*goes back to man cave*
Old 10-10-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscription services are fine until the product you want to watch is no longer available.
Old 10-10-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What's wrong with Ultraviolet, other than the name, that they would need to do this?
Well, for one thing, on the studio side, UV doesn't have Disney, which includes some of the biggest properties around, like Disney animated, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars.

The other thing is UV is floundering on the retail side, with only VUDU left as the major retailer (and FandangoNow as a bit player). The biggest retailers (iTunes, Google Play, VUDU, Microsoft, and Amazon) are all signed on with Movies Anywhere.
Old 10-10-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Hopefully the UV library carries over to Movies Anywhere... And we don't lose anything.... Unlike when CinemaNow disappeared...
Old 10-10-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I kinda wonder if this move is what predicted WB shutting down Flixster Video as a UV redeemable and playback service. All to get ready to be part of Movies Anywhere....
Old 10-10-17, 10:43 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I can't imagine trying to survive only watching Netflix's meager movie selection. I suppose Netflix plus Redbox would still be a cheaper solution over ownership
Old 10-10-17, 11:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Hopefully the UV library carries over to Movies Anywhere... And we don't lose anything.... Unlike when CinemaNow disappeared...
What was lost when CinemaNow disappeared? I still have all my UV movies from there.
Old 10-11-17, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Defiant
What was lost when CinemaNow disappeared? I still have all my UV movies from there.
non UV content.
Old 10-11-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I lost my free copy of "Hillbillies in a Haunted House" when CinemaNow folded- I got it with a $5 Target Ticket credit and then it transferred to CinemaNow when THAT folded, but now nobody's there to pick it up. But oh well, it's just a stupid B-movie that I should never want to watch again anyways (luckily I did watch it once when I could), so all is fine and good in digital land. Throw out those pesky discs!

If all the other studios except Paramount are on board for this new thing, Paramount ought to start their own called "Paramount Movies in Most Places"
Old 10-11-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I had a Winter Soldier bonus feature on the Target service that I never watched.
Old 10-11-17, 06:31 PM

It's coming....

https://www.facebook.com/MoviesAnywhere/

Old 10-11-17, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i'm still not quite sure what this does for me. i have all my movies on Vudu and very content with that service...
Old 10-11-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Site is now live: www.moviesanywhere.com
Old 10-11-17, 10:20 PM

Here's the Roku app:

https://channelstore.roku.com/detail...ovies-anywhere
Old 10-11-17, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I was able to connect iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play, but no Vudu at this time. Looks like they're still getting it up and running.
Old 10-11-17, 10:42 PM

Looks like we crashed the site.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.