Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Void" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Void (2016)

Selected by Gobear

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "The Void" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Wow. The Void was an excellent film, it's heart pounding and visceral. I'd admit I'm a sucker for Lovercraft tropes but this was a home run. One of my favorite viewings so far this month (day 2 at least)... at least until the last half which seemed to descenD into generic dark rooms and squirming monsters without as much tension, sight gags for sight gags sake until it gets to the bizzare ending and everything is abstract maybe to a fault, probably it'd benefit from multiple viewings.

There are far to many movies about people trapped in small town hospitals for it to be coincidental. 'Trapped in a hospital' should be a theme day next year. The hooded figures probably could have been a little less KKK looking, that was briefly distracting (red or even blue robes would have aced it).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-06-17 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Saw this in the theater a few months back and I kept thinking how it reminded me of Hellraiser 2.
Old 10-06-17, 06:02 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

The Void is on sale at Vudu for $4.99 (HDX).

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/841035/The-Void
Old 10-06-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I watched this for the sci-fi/fantasy summer challenge (though I think the horror genre fits it the best). My very short review I wrote then:

I appreciate the influence of gooey 80s monster movies like The Thing and Hellraiser (with practical effects, no less). I just wish there was a more coherent story by the end of it all.
Old 10-07-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 220 Likes on 162 Posts

I loved the first half, but I hated the second half. I was really enjoying it until they went into the basement, then it all fell apart for me. But then again, I'm not a Lovecraft fan.

Bonus points for a) casting Ellen Wong and b) letting her survive.
Old 10-07-17, 12:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'll echo loving just the first half.
Old 10-07-17, 02:46 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't love the second half as much as the first but I thought it still had it's good points. I do love Lovecraft and that helps. A big part of the problem was how dark it was. Darkness is nice to a point but it can be too dark. I found myself really wishing there was a sequel. I loved the Daniel and Allison characters and I think a sequel in this other dimension could be very interesting. Overall, it was well worth seeing with some great casting and good acting.
Old 10-07-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Assault on Hospital 13. Man, this is one intense movie. Those hoods are sure unnerving, and that’s before we even go on the hospital tour.

I wasn’t really sure which direction this was headed. A hospital invasion movie seems like as good an idea as any. I suppose this could work pretty well on it’s own, but that wasn’t where we were meant to be going. Disneyland isn’t in our future today!

An aspiring nurse with a textbook is never a good sign, especially when she’s on duty. Actually, I think this is a harbinger of doom!

I can’t recall ever seeing a fireman’s axe station, yet alone two. What are they used for other than to kill aliens or psychos? I’m pretty sure I would never be able to find one if I needed to defend myself, let alone put out a fire with one…..

Dragging the axe down the hall is a nice touch. Lot’s of homages in this one.

I'm almost done with this one, needed a breather to put down some thoughts. Back to the show.
Old 10-07-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Stayed away from reading the forum until I was done with this one. Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this one. Lovecraft would be proud of all those tentacles! This was a really solid movie, and probably one of my top views for the challenge (day 6 only). I’ve seen Hellraiser enough times, and the doctor even sounded like Uncle Frank in the final scene.

Yes, the second half sure was strange, but I think this one really needs a repeat viewing in the future.

I may break open the Scarlet Box for Uncle Frank!
Old 10-07-17, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed this one up when it first came out because everyone I knew absolutely hated it because it didn't have an original thought in the whole movie, But I do agree that there wee a few homages to various horror films throughout, The one that actually sticks out is the ending which was much like City of the Living Dead if my memory serves me correctly
Old 10-07-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The Void hits all my buttons because I'm a huge fan of Lovecraftian cosmic horror. Every part of this movie completely rocks. The white-robed cultists were a brilliant touch, adding just the right amount of creepy menace. The ending very much reminded me of the final shot in Fulci's The Beyond.
Old 10-07-17, 09:11 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree with GoBear. This one covered all the bases for me!
Old 10-08-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I love occult/apocalypse horror movies. This was very reminiscent of Hellraiser 2, The Beyond, etc. I watched this with my friend and we were squirming at numerous points. Crazy stuff, and I didn't feel like it was overly ambiguous. But then again I liked Amer.
Old 10-09-17, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this Saturday, just getting on here now to post my thoughts. I really liked the setting, environment, and uniqueness of this film. I'm not very familiar with Lovecraft and haven't seen much in the vein of his style so it was pretty refreshing to me.
Old 10-22-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I didn't love the second half as much as the first but I thought it still had it's good points. I do love Lovecraft and that helps.
That's basically what I thought. The second half might have gone a little out there, but it's one that I think will benefit greatly with repeat viewings.

I really loved the hooded cult members. I think true fanatics are among the most frightening things because there's really no reasoning with them. I appreciated that we never see behind those masks. It's best to have them be a faceless mass working as one.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (08-14-22)
Old 12-19-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

dat ass tho