Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Mad Monster Party?" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Mad Monster Party? (1967)

Selected by clckworang

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Mad Monster Party?" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Earlier today I decorated the house with the family and afterwards the kids decided to watch Mad Monster Party (without any prompting from me = good kids). I was curious to see how it stood up to youth today but they seemed to get quickly bored. I love the Rankin Bass animation and the epic assortment of monster characters but wish the script was a little better. MMP is nicely cartoonish yet aside from cameos from a lot of classic monsters (which are mostly just popping up and saying typical things) it seems slow at times. While the character homages are part of what 'makes' MMP I think they were also played too conservatively to the point of thin characters - this film is the poster child for the worst time of pastiche. Watching it this time it reminded me a lot of Hotel Transylvania, which is more upbeat and kinetic (but kind of a cheap shot ripoff) and some of the similarities are striking (similar scope of homages, the odd chef, the 'monster hotel' theme, etc). It's lame that so many movies now are just computer generated when this stop motion style of animation seems so timeless. The planes and bigfoot at the end are just one of many brilliant touches that I think my kids failed to appreciate. A fun assortment of monsters on parade here but it never seems to climb to the heights of The Island of Misfit Toys, which is a personal favorite of mine (I'll have to get my kids opinion on that one this Christmas). For animated horror movies this one is a standout, it's a shame there's not more animated horror stuff - it seems like Scooby Doo proves the market for so often too sparse family friend 'horror' content.
Old 10-04-17, 07:43 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know where the ? comes from. These Rankin and Bass films have special nostalgia for me since i was about 6 during their hayday. Unfortunately the charm doesn't hold up to repeat viewings, but i did enjoy revisiting this one.
Old 10-04-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I don't know where the ? comes from. These Rankin and Bass films have special nostalgia for me since i was about 6 during their hayday. Unfortunately the charm doesn't hold up to repeat viewings, but i did enjoy revisiting this one.
The title sequence is what shows the copyright, so I guess "officially" it has the ? at the end. I just find it odd that it was never used in any marketing or posters, etc.
Old 10-04-17, 07:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Was there a post deleted? I thought someone asked about the ? In the title. It's on screen at the beginning of the film.

Our troll was partially right, as I seem to watch this film every year. To be honest, I would have skipped it this year if not for it being a subset choice. I seem to like it less and less on each viewing. It's a film where the potential is so much greater than the actual delivery. The visuals are great, the music more than fine, and the overall plot is excellent, but the delivery and specific writing of the humor falls flat too often.
Old 10-04-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I've never seen it before today. I had some real concerns when Phyllis Diller started singing to Frankenstein. Had that song been a little longer I don't think I would have finished the movie. I enjoyed the rest once the characters starting getting introduced. I really do appreciate the work that went into the Rankin Bass stop motion animation.
Old 10-04-17, 02:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This was also a first time view for me although I am a fan of some of the Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. I liked the animation and sets and even thought some of the one liners were pretty funny and I could listen to Boris Karloff all day so having him in the cast was great. The story started off OK but I started to lose interest about halfway although I perked up a bit when "it" appeared. Also it seems most of the laughs I got were in the first part. I think the movie just went on too long. I was amazed to find out that except for the Karloff part, one guy did all of the other male voices.
Old 10-04-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Was there a post deleted? I thought someone asked about the ? In the title. It's on screen at the beginning of the film.

Our troll was partially right, as I seem to watch this film every year. To be honest, I would have skipped it this year if not for it being a subset choice. I seem to like it less and less on each viewing. It's a film where the potential is so much greater than the actual delivery. The visuals are great, the music more than fine, and the overall plot is excellent, but the delivery and specific writing of the humor falls flat too often.
I had asked but don't know where the post went? I was trying to edit it to add that I know it's at the beginning of the movie, but it was never used in marketing or products. Then my post disappeared. Then I couldn't access anything for a bit.

Anyway, I agree I would have skipped this as well. For me this movie loses its magic on subsequent viewings. But there are some Rankin/Bass movies that are sleepers. Like they literally put me to sleep.
Old 10-04-17, 04:21 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

The Rankin Bass films are really for those of us that were young children of the late 60s early 70s. I have the dvd special edition and the special features of the puppetry are interesting. It is a lost art.
Old 10-04-17, 05:54 PM

I remember watching this as a kid ( I was 11 at the time this was viewed on the boob tube). I must be easily amused at what I'm watching from what I've been reading from others. I too have the dvd and visit tis cartoon from time to time and am highly entertained. I don't watch many animated films so I can safely say that this is the only one that I genuinely like. Nice salute to all those early monsters and actors of that age. Not quite sure why they used Phillis Diller in on of the characters...to the best of my knowledge she was far from anything horror related. Perhaps just some comic relief although the character wasn't all that funny.
Old 10-04-17, 07:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I had asked but don't know where the post went? I was trying to edit it to add that I know it's at the beginning of the movie, but it was never used in marketing or products. Then my post disappeared. Then I couldn't access anything for a bit.

Anyway, I agree I would have skipped this as well. For me this movie loses its magic on subsequent viewings. But there are some Rankin/Bass movies that are sleepers. Like they literally put me to sleep.
Dick has gremlins! Shut the water off man.
Old 10-04-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
The Rankin Bass films are really for those of us that were young children of the late 60s early 70s. I have the dvd special edition and the special features of the puppetry are interesting. It is a lost art.
I remember watching this on TV as a child and enjoying it, but it was a slog to get through today. It just doesn't have the same magical evergreen quality of other Rankin-Bass holiday specials.

Monster House was much more enjoyable.
Old 10-05-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

This was the wrong movie to watch as my meds kicked in.
Old 10-05-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I appreciate the effort but like others have said Mad Monster Party? is a chore to watch.
Old 10-05-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

This was my selection and also a first-time viewing. I suggested it as a subset for two reasons. First, I know it's a challenge tradition for many. And second, it is a beast when it comes to the checklist. Off the top of my head, you can check off:

1960s
Boris Karloff
Animated
Musical
Frankenstein
Werewolf
Vampire
Comedy
Mummy

That takes care of a lot!

As for the movie, I thought it was OK. I think it would have greatly benefited from before 15 minutes shorter. It just really started to drag. I had a couple friends come over while I was watching, and they seemed to enjoy well enough. I'm sure I'll revisit again at some point.
Old 11-01-17, 05:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't normally care for cartoon type movies, but I found myself enjoying this. I'll probably give it a watch next year.