Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Atari offers first look at the Ataribox.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-17-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

From Polygon:

Spoiler:

A month after revealing it during E3 2017, Atari has shown the first full look at its Ataribox console.

In a newsletter to those who signed up for more information, Atari said the unit's four USB ports and HDMI output "suggest modern internal specs.

"It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content," Atari said.

While it's unlikely Atari is going to jump into a market with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, that remark suggests the Ataribox will be a little more open-ended than something like the NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition.

The black, ribbed look evokes the deck of the original Atari VCS/2600. The front panel will be available either in glass or in a wood design that likewise recalls the original system.

"We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc.," the Ataribox makers said in the newsletter. "There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead." Atari promised regular updates on the console's development.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/17/15...esign-pictures
Old 07-17-17, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Atari offers first look at the Ataribox.

Ehh... Ben from Polygon, and Kyle from Ars both put this into perspective:

Also, this twitter thread:
PHP Code:
https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/886962443997634560 
Old 07-17-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I don't get the statement
In a newsletter to those who signed up for more information, Atari said the unit's four USB ports and HDMI output "suggest modern internal specs.
They're making the thing, can't they do more than guess?
Old 07-17-17, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't get the statement

They're making the thing, can't they do more than guess?
Blame that on the poorly worded article.

Here's the linked Atari newsletter.

http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first...n?e=a93e75dbcb
Old 07-17-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm expecting another Android box like the Amazon Fire TV, but with Atari games built in and/or available to download. The SD port is probably to add storage, not for physical media.

4 USB ports is a surprise, although it may be a sign that they won't be doing wireless controllers.
Old 07-17-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

4 USB Ports? So it's a raspberry pi?
Old 07-17-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Supposedly the French press release says that to minimize risk to Atari they're going to try to crowdfund this. Good luck, Ouya v.2.
Old 07-17-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I grew up and love Atari as much as the next guy but I can't imagine 2600 games holding up all that well compared to something like NES era games.
Old 07-17-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I grew up and love Atari as much as the next guy but I can't imagine 2600 games holding up all that well compared to something like NES era games.
I think you're forgetting about the wealth of Jaguar games like... wait, I can think of a couple... maybe one... nope, drawing a blank, lemme look them up to jog my memory... hmm... well, I thought Todd's Adventure in Slime World for the Lynx was pretty fun.
Old 07-17-17, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..and Kyle from Ars both put this into perspective:
Yes. Nobody forget that this company stomped out the release of TxK on anything other than PSVita despite decades of precedent that genre-clones are not infringement.

Oh, and they did this so they could release absolutely NOTHING under the Tempest banner. I don't want to hear about what they might release on this new box until there is a real, tangible product that justifies the argument.

Company grudges aside, does anyone here think the mass market is going to be receptive to any retro boxes besides Nintendo's? Seems to me they and they alone have a unique type of mindshare that can actually draw a real audience to this niche. I don't even think the new Genesis unit is going to do much, whether or not AtGames produces something of quality for once.
Old 07-17-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you put out a quality Genesis one, I'd bite, but I'd have to hear nothing but glowing reviews after the crapfests they've put out in the past. Same for a Saturn and Dreamcast one, especially since those don't really show up on Virtual consoles anywhere.
Old 07-18-17, 06:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think you're forgetting about the wealth of Jaguar games like... wait, I can think of a couple... maybe one... nope, drawing a blank, lemme look them up to jog my memory... hmm... well, I thought Todd's Adventure in Slime World for the Lynx was pretty fun.
The Alien vs Predator game on the Jaguar was pretty good, Tempest 2000 rocked, a few decent others.

The Lynx was my favorite system ever; mainly for multiplayer Slime World, Warlords, and Checkered Flag.
Old 07-18-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what your're smoking, I can't wait to "play" E.T. again!
Old 07-18-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man that gives me flashbacks to the 2600 Superman game. For the longest time as a kid I had no idea what you were supposed to be doing, but I still loved it.
Old 07-18-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Lynx was my favorite system ever; mainly for multiplayer Slime World, Warlords, and Checkered Flag.
Yeah! I had...oh, let's see, California Games, Pac-Land, Rampage, Scrapyard Dog, Todd's Adventures in Slime World, and Xenophobe. It feels like I have to be forgetting something, but I'm not sure what. My best friend growing up had Blue Lightning, and that was pretty incredible. I was so convinced that ComLynx would dominate the world.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I don't know what your're smoking, I can't wait to "play" E.T. again!
My grandparents bought a 2600 and a huge stack of games at a garage sale or something so we'd have something to play when we came to visit. A lot of 'em were pick-up-and-play (like Spider-Man), but E.T. -- I just had absolutely no idea what to do. I seem to just remember falling in a pit and levitating slightly (but not enough?).
Old 07-18-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I seem to just remember falling in a pit and levitating slightly (but not enough?).
Pretty much my memory of it as well I think there was also running away from people time to time, only to fall into the pit and repeat.
Old 07-18-17, 12:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

E.T. you say? Here's a speed run completed in less than three minutes.
Old 07-18-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I still have a 2600 (the sexy "Vader" model). I find that a lot of the paddle-based games are still really fun - specifically Warlords, Circus Atari, Kaboom!, Super Breakout, and Night Driver. Indy 500 is also a lot of fun (with the Driving Controller). No other prominent system since then has really done the rotary-controller thing well, so it at least has that going for it.
Old 07-18-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I used to play Empire Strikes Back on the Atari wondering just when I was going to "win" the game. I'm still playing 36 years later.
Old 07-18-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I've already praised E.T. on here before, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said. It's biggest problem was the awful pit levitation and that you really needed to read the instruction manual to know what you needed to do. It didn't have that "pick up and play" quality that most of the really simple games had.

Most of the Activision games have a lot of replay value, even now. Adventure is solid. My Atari still gets a fair amount of playtime
Old 07-18-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E.T. had some serious bugs in it (due to the speed at which it was developed, surely) and some big gameplay issues.

There's a page with some hex edits to make the game suck less, plus some bug fixes.

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

I agree on the Atari replayability. I had a 2600 in the late 80s, being a poor kid, we were always a generation or two behind.

NES games are still very replayable, but Atari games...most of them, not so much. I agree on the paddle games - they are some of the better ones but hard to do via emulation. I personally like Kaboom! a lot, I can play on my Analogue NT or via emulator, but getting paddle controllers is harder.
Old 07-18-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
NES games are still very replayable, but Atari games...most of them, not so much. I agree on the paddle games - they are some of the better ones but hard to do via emulation. I personally like Kaboom! a lot, I can play on my Analogue NT or via emulator, but getting paddle controllers is harder.
If you can get your hands on original paddle controllers on ebay or whatever, 25 more dollars will get you this to use them with an emulator (works out of the box with Stella):
http://www.2600-daptor.com/

That said, I find using a real 2600 is still best for those games.
Old 07-18-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I've already praised E.T. on here before, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said. It's biggest problem was the awful pit levitation and that you really needed to read the instruction manual to know what you needed to do. It didn't have that "pick up and play" quality that most of the really simple games had.

Most of the Activision games have a lot of replay value, even now. Adventure is solid. My Atari still gets a fair amount of playtime
Yeah I remember playing E.T. a lot as a kid and beat it numerous times. The levitating out of the pit was annoying at first, but wasn't that bad once you got the hang of it.

I still have my 2600 in a box somewhere (the slim one, as the faux wood one we had broke) with all my games, but haven't played it in ages. I'm not even sure how to hook it up.
Old 07-18-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
If you can get your hands on original paddle controllers on ebay or whatever, 25 more dollars will get you this to use them with an emulator (works out of the box with Stella):
http://www.2600-daptor.com/

That said, I find using a real 2600 is still best for those games.
Hrm

Been doing my 2600 gaming on my Analogue NT, too bad there's no 2600 -> NES adapter.

I might consider it, I'm not big on Atari era gaming, but it would be cool to play Kaboom! again.
Old 07-18-17, 05:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Alien vs Predator game on the Jaguar was pretty good, Tempest 2000 rocked, a few decent others.

I loved my Lynx! Maybe you meant Warbirds, the WWI flying game? That one supported 8 player networking, I believe, although I never played more than 3.

I loved all of the Atari/Midway arcade ports to the Lynx, stuff like APB, Rampage, Klax, Rampart, Stun Runner, etc just blew away anything on the much inferior Gameboy. The hardware update they did pretty much perfected it with the sharper screen and much smaller size.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.