DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2017 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 08-01-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
2017 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

30 Days of Criterion - Discussion Thread
August 31st (dusk) - October 1st (dawn)

September is upon us, so it's time to actually watch those Criterion discs we bought in July during the Barnes & Noble sale and get as many viewings out of our Hulu subscriptions as we can before the Criterion Channel launches on Filmstruck later this year! CardiffGiant has done a fantastic job hosting this challenge the last several years, and here's the overview of this challenge that he's crafted:

The goal of the Criterion Challenge is to watch Criterion content and share your experience with the rest of us. There is no specific number goal, no winners, no losers, no prizes.

Rather than compile long lists, watch what you would normally watch in a month, but concentrate it on Criterion content as much as you can/want. In fact, bulk watching is discouraged, as that will limit your time for discussion and for immersing yourself in a film. Participants are encouraged to explore fully a film and its supplemental material.

There will be a separate thread to include your lists as linked above. A daily journal sort of entry is recommended for your list. Since counting is not required or "scored" in any way, you are free to be as creative as you wish in how you list items. Bolding of your item titles is encouraged, if only to make them stand out to allow others to quickly see if they have seen the same items and wish to comment. Give reviews. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple /, or a one word description. Be creative and personalize it however you wish - use one post for the whole month, daily posts, weekly posts, give reviews, provide IMDB links, add YouTube videos, add images, etc. It's recommended that you provide a link to your list(s) in your signature for easy access. Last year's List Thread should give you a good idea how participants format their lists.

What qualifies? Any film, short, video or supplemental feature that is planned for release or has been released by Criterion/Eclipse qualifies. The film does not have to be watched on an actual Criterion disc. You may watch the film on any format, provided that it is the same film that Criterion has released. For example, the film On the Waterfront was released by Criterion on DVD/BD. But you don't have to watch the movie on that particular DVD/BD. You can watch it on VHS, on broadcast TV, on FilmStruck (the new official streaming home of the Criterion Collection), anywhere else that may have the streaming rights, or any of the other DVD/BD releases On the Waterfront has had. Additionally, any title released by Criterion exclusively on streaming (See: FilmStruck) is eligible for this challenge.

Check out the full list of Criterion and Eclipse DVD and BD releases here. Criterion's website allows for sorting by Brand, Format, Director, Country, Decade, and Features. This will allow easy searching for working through needed checklist items.

There are some titles currently streaming on Netflix, including a number of OOP titles. On rare occasions, you can find an Eclipse title there as well.

Since our last challenge, The Criterion Collection's streaming library has been moved to FilmStruck. This is an add-on channel not included in the base FilmStruck subscription. It includes titles that have yet to be issued on physical disc from Criterion; any such film included in this channel is eligible for this challenge (but not anything else on FilmStruck outside the Criterion Channel).

Criterion titles occasionally appear on broadcast television. Keep an eye on this discussion thread for upcoming broadcasts.

Titles originally released on Criterion Laserdisc are also eligible for the challenge.

Optional Checklist

The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Each film can count for multiple sections, but only one check mark per section. Example: Pierrot le fou could count for the 1960's in Decades and Jean-Luc Godard in People, but it could not count for Godard and Anna Karina in People. You would need a separate film for Karina.
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920 - (insert film title here)
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch something from each of the following spine number ranges.
--- 001-100 -
--- 101-200 -
--- 201-300 -
--- 301-400 -
--- 401-500 -
--- 501-600 -
--- 601-700 -
--- 701-800 -
--- 801-900 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (a title released on Laserdisc or a streaming exclusive) -

Who, What, and How
Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section.
--- First Person, (insert title)
--- Second Person, (insert title)
--- Third Person, (insert title)
--- Fourth Person, (insert title)
--- Fifth Person, (insert title)

Watch a film from 5 different "themes" on Criterion's website.
Note: To earn a check for Compare and Contrast, you must watch both versions of the feature.

--- First Theme name, (insert title)
--- Second Theme name, (insert title)
--- Third Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fourth Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fifth Theme name, (insert title)

Watch films in at least 5 languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here.
--- First Essay title, (title of film)
--- Second Essay title, (title of film)
--- Third Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fourth Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fifth Essay title, (title of film)

Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews. Many of these can be found on Criterion.com and on Hulu (see Clips for the related film).
--- First Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Second Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Third Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fourth Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fifth Interview Name, (insert film title)

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers.
--- First Trailer Title
--- Second Trailer Title
--- Third Trailer Title
--- Fourth Trailer Title
--- Fifth Trailer Title

Above and Beyond (Not Required to Complete Checklist)
--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Watch a supplemental short film –
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set or Top Ten List -
--- Listen to the soundtrack album for a Criterion/Eclipse film (a great place to get an idea for this is the Great Soundtracks Theme!) -

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

The challenge officially begins August 31 at dusk in whatever location you are in at the time, and ends on October 1st at dawn in whatever location you are in at that time. Also, feel free to time your final Criterion film(s) to coincide with the start of the Horror Challenge.

Online Resources

The Criterion Collection Official Pages and Online Stores
Criterion.com | Barnes & Noble | Facebook | Google Play | FilmStruck | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

List of Criterion Collection Laserdisc releases on Wikipedia

Every box set and Top 10 list presently on Criterion.com, formatted to be copied and pasted in DVD Talk.

CriterionCast
iCheckMovies.com The Criterion Collection | The Criterion Collection Signatures | Criterion's Eclipse Collection | Criterion's Eclipse Collection Signatures
Flickchart The Criterion Collection | The Criterion Collection on Hulu | The Criterion Eclipse Titles | Flickchart: The Blog - Criterion Commentaries
Travis McClain's Criterion for Noobs

Previous DVD Talk Criterion Challenges
2009 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2010 Discussion Thread | List Thread
2011 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2012 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2013 Discussion Thread | List Thread
2014 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2015 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2016 Discussion Thread |
2016 List Thread

2017 List Thread

Last edited by Travis McClain; 08-01-17 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 2017 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

With the loss of Criterion on Hulu, I don't have access to as many films, but I'll try to watch some.
Old 08-02-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If people are interested in doing both the animation challenge that's going on now and the Criterion one in September, there are a few crossover films. They are: Akira, Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Watership Down, Jason And The Argonauts, King Kong, and Robocop. Also, there is animation in the By Brakhage and Science is Fiction box sets.
Old 08-02-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
If people are interested in doing both the animation challenge that's going on now and the Criterion one in September, there are a few crossover films. They are: Akira, Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Watership Down, Jason And The Argonauts, King Kong, and Robocop. Also, there is animation in the By Brakhage and Science is Fiction box sets.
And I believe Akira is available on Hulu.
Old 08-02-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for putting this up early. It's always good to look ahead to the next challenge.

For those who go to/work at an university (hi lisadoris) check out Kanopy for their free collection of Criterion films including classics like Breathless, Rashomon, M, and La Strada. Check it out to see if your university offers it.
Old 08-02-17, 03:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

^ Thanks, and maybe I'll check to see if Hoopla has any Criterions.
Old 08-03-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only plan to keep it through September, due to it's price, but I just discovered Filmstruck was available on Roku, so I signed up for it. There is a 14 day free trial, and after that it is $10.99 a month. Too much to keep year round, but I'm willing to do it for the Challenge.
Old 08-03-17, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Too bad The Lure and Vampyr aren't released until October.
Old 08-03-17, 07:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Too bad The Lure and Vampyr aren't released until October.
But at least you can watch them in other formats and still count them.
Old 08-03-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
But at least you can watch them in other formats and still count them.
True, as far as watching the films go, but to dig into content won't be possible. Maybe there'll be some content online early.
Old 08-05-17, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my friends violated my no-gifts policy at Christmas and gave me a Barnes & Noble gift card. I held onto it until the 50% sale. Picked up 45 Years and Ghost World. I was thrilled that both were being added to the collection, and I'm keen to dive into their bonus materials. I also still have The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Summer Hours, and Certified Copy all waiting for me to finally watch. Mabuse will be a first time viewing for me; the other four, I've already seen and loved.

I managed to complete the checklist in 2012 (I forget that the one check I missed was optional that year), but I still have never managed to complete an entire Top 10 list during one of these challenges. Losing access to The Criterion Collection on Hulu is going to make that all but impossible for me this year. I may be able to place enough library loan requests to make it happen, but I doubt it. If I just go through the ones I already own, I'll call this year a win.
Old 08-05-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
One of my friends violated my no-gifts policy at Christmas and gave me a Barnes & Noble gift card. I held onto it until the 50% sale. Picked up 45 Years and Ghost World. I was thrilled that both were being added to the collection, and I'm keen to dive into their bonus materials. I also still have The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Summer Hours, and Certified Copy all waiting for me to finally watch. Mabuse will be a first time viewing for me; the other four, I've already seen and loved.

I managed to complete the checklist in 2012 (I forget that the one check I missed was optional that year), but I still have never managed to complete an entire Top 10 list during one of these challenges. Losing access to The Criterion Collection on Hulu is going to make that all but impossible for me this year. I may be able to place enough library loan requests to make it happen, but I doubt it. If I just go through the ones I already own, I'll call this year a win.

Filmstruck won't cover what Hulu lost either. I've noticed that the collection on Filmstruck is not as large as Hulu used to have.
Old 08-05-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Filmstruck won't cover what Hulu lost either. I've noticed that the collection on Filmstruck is not as large as Hulu used to have.
As much as I appreciate and somewhat utilize digital copies/Vudu/Amazon Prime, this is the main reason I still prefer to have a hard copy of movies. Sure, if I'm in a mood for an action/adventure movie, there are tons out there, but if I'm in the mood for something specific? A great deal of the time, it's not available.

Not sure what I'm going to focus on this year. I've found I kind of like having a theme. A couple years I went looking for the eligible Alfred Hitchcock movies but as of last year, I had watched them all. Maybe Travis's idea of doing a Top 10 list might be the way to go...I'll have to go looking. My library has a very nice selection available to me (or more accurately, my library system).
Old 08-06-17, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As much as I appreciate and somewhat utilize digital copies/Vudu/Amazon Prime, this is the main reason I still prefer to have a hard copy of movies. Sure, if I'm in a mood for an action/adventure movie, there are tons out there, but if I'm in the mood for something specific? A great deal of the time, it's not available.
Yeah, this is why I keep discs of movies I know I like enough I'll want to revisit. I regard digital/streaming more as a virtual rental store rather than a replacement for my personal library.
Old 08-07-17, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incidentally, I have updated my post that lists all the box sets and Top 10 lists, already formatted for DVD Talk in case anyone wishes to copy and paste from that into their list. If you want the hyperlink and italics to appear in your list, you'll need to quote my post in order to see the coding. (Then just copy the section you want, rather than the whole thing.)
Old 08-28-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get discussion going as we ramp up for this year's challenge, I thought I'd throw out some questions.

For those who have participated in previous Criterion challenges, what's something you've taken away from them? This can be anything from finding a new favorite movie to having an epiphany about yourself emerge as part of your evolving relationship with art.

What's something you've enjoyed about previous challenges?

For those who have not participated in any previous Criterion challenges, what are some of the things you're hoping to get from this year's challenge?

Have you set any objectives for this year?

Will you be watching movies solo or are you planning to share your viewings with others?

Are you planning to focus on first time viewings, or are you leaning more toward revisiting movies you've seen before?
Old 08-28-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

This is one of my favorite challenges! I've always been grateful for the Criterion Collection since it contributed so much to my film education and introduced me to so many favorite films and directors. With only a few exceptions, I find most Criterion films almost demand multiple viewings, so I try to do a mixture of rewatches and first time views.

Unfortunately, I usually cannot get many of my friends or family interested in most of the films that I'm interested, so I'll be flying solo most of the time. However, I will definitely propose a Criterion selection at the weekly movie night I attend with a couple of cinephile friends.

I'll already got a pile of things to watch so I'm excited and ready to go!
Old 08-28-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I normally watch my movies alone, so I too will fly solo.

As for goals, one goal is, while I won't go out of my way, and ignore real life to complete it, I plan to work on the checklist. Another goal, is since I enjoy horror movies, and with October looming ahead, I plan to watch quite a few horror movies.
Old 08-28-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I've enjoyed most about this challenge is the hidden gems. I've definitely had to work harder to find them, but every once in a while, there's a movie that just really draws me in that I would never have watched on my own incentive.

I usually watch alone. This one is a little harder for me to find someone who is also interested in watching. Though, when I was going through the Hitchcock films a couple years ago that qualified, my mom watched with me as she had seen a lot of them many years ago but not since then.

I have to admit, I haven't even thought about what I'm going to watch this year. I host the July and August challenges so I think I'm going to take the first week off, then dive in here a bit. I try to make it a mix of mostly new watches with a few old that I've grown to love. Either last year or the year before, Criterion released The Black Stallion which was one of my favorite books/movies as a kid. I plan on adding this one in for the challenge on a yearly basis.
Old 08-29-17, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I've enjoyed most about this challenge is the hidden gems. I've definitely had to work harder to find them, but every once in a while, there's a movie that just really draws me in that I would never have watched on my own incentive.

I usually watch alone. This one is a little harder for me to find someone who is also interested in watching. Though, when I was going through the Hitchcock films a couple years ago that qualified, my mom watched with me as she had seen a lot of them many years ago but not since then.

I have to admit, I haven't even thought about what I'm going to watch this year. I host the July and August challenges so I think I'm going to take the first week off, then dive in here a bit. I try to make it a mix of mostly new watches with a few old that I've grown to love. Either last year or the year before, Criterion released The Black Stallion which was one of my favorite books/movies as a kid. I plan on adding this one in for the challenge on a yearly basis.
It was two years ago. I bought it, and plan to finally watch it this year.
Old 08-29-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was two years ago. I bought it, and plan to finally watch it this year.
I watched it the year it came out and it looked pretty nice, if I remember correctly! It's a slow start, but beautiful visuals with the island.
Old 08-29-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I forgot to mention that I'm planning to see a couple of qualifying films - Stalker and Le trou - that are playing at my local art cinema. Solaris is also playing, but I'm unfortunately busy so I'll just have to watch my BD copy.
Old 08-30-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since it is available on Starz On Demand, if you have a subscription to the channel through the Starz Channel on Roku, I might take the opportunity to revisit Close Encounters Of The Third Kind next month. I haven't seen it since I was a kid.
Old 08-30-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it is available on Starz On Demand, if you have a subscription to the channel through the Starz Channel on Roku, I might take the opportunity to revisit Close Encounters Of The Third Kind next month. I haven't seen it since I was a kid.
It's also getting a theatrical re-release this weekend. I totally forgot this was a Criterion LD. Timing is great since I was planning on seeing it Saturday.
Old 08-30-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
It's also getting a theatrical re-release this weekend. I totally forgot this was a Criterion LD. Timing is great since I was planning on seeing it Saturday.
I forgot until recently myself. In preparation for the Challenge, I looked at the links of Criterion releases a few days ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.