Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Galactic Cowboys are back after 17 year hiatus!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-26-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Their new song/video - Internal Masquerade - was just released yesterday and the full album, Long Way Back to the Moon, comes out in November. And it's the original line-up with guitarist Dane Sonnier!

Sounds like they've never been gone...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tK2fbpIOG3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 09-26-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Galactic Cowboys are back after 17 year hiatus!

Song is pretty good but was hoping for a solo. Either way it's awesome to have them back with Sonnier - once he left their records where just kind of meh IMO. Those first tow are still awesome though. I'll never forget seeing them open fro Dream Theater in 1993 - they won me over.
Old 09-29-17, 06:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Galactic Cowboys are back after 17 year hiatus!

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Their new song/video - Internal Masquerade - was just released yesterday and the full album, Long Way Back to the Moon, comes out in November. And it's the original line-up with guitarist Dane Sonnier!

Sounds like they've never been gone...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tK2fbpIOG3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is great news. FYI though, they've been playing reunion shows together for the last decade or so, although just in Dallas, Houston and Austin. But yes, a long hiatus on new material or an album.

I played in one of the Galactic Cowboys spin-off bands during the hiatus, Monty Colvin's "Crunchy". He recorded 3 albums under the Crunchy name from about 2001-2007, I played bass for him and did vocals for live shows from January 2007-October 2009. I also appeared in 3 videos to support the 3rd Crunchy album.

It was always great to actually play in a band with one of my main musical influences. The weirdest part for me was that Monty was a groundbreaking bass player for GC, but he wanted someone else (me, in this case) to play bass in his solo band. I kinda felt like that guy who played bass in Sting's first solo outing. Anyway, it was great to do and I have several fond memories about it.

I will have to pick up this new GC album.

BTW, anyone who's interested in seeing it, here's the best of the 3 videos I did with Monty and Crunchy. I'm the guy with the beard and the blue bass, enjoy!