Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Raw" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Raw (2016)

Selected by jacob_b

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-09-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Raw" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Crap. I've been a vegetarian for 18 years... no way am I chancing it on meat again after this movie.

The pacing in Raw was really amazing, it has an eerie slow burn mostly coming from how eccentric and needy the Justine character is.
The weird 'seduction 101' dance number in the middle of the film might be the most bizzare random but awesome thing I've seen all month.

Every horror movie should start with a car crash.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-09-17 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 07:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Non-American films are always the best films of the subset. This was amazing.
Old 10-09-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm really chomping at the bit to get home to see this. Almost there....
Old 10-09-17, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all the denial and hiding of the ailment from the parents it wasn't all that shocking that the parents knew everything about it, Very solid and well paced.
Old 10-09-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I have to say I'm disappointed. I was promised a film so disgusting it would make me throw up, but the gore is pretty tame. It reminded me of Ginger Snaps: a pair of sisters coming of age and beset by an unfortunate condition, in this case the desire to eat people.

Also, I can understand hazing on the part of immature undergraduates, but veterinary students in post-graduate study should have a higher standard of behavior.
Old 10-09-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Impressive, and especially so considering it's a directorial debut. The slow transformation from shy and socially awkward to cannibalistic animal was intense. I cringed a bit at the finger scene. Still, I think all the hype regarding people at TIFF passing out and paramedics being called was nothing more than a publicity stunt, because it's not that intense.
Old 10-09-17, 07:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought it was a good, not great virus/cannibal film. Personally, Its very similar to 2013 Contracted, which I liked better.
Old 10-09-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, I was expecting more after reading the hype. Too bad it taints what turned out to still be a pretty good movie, but leaves you feeling ripped off when it didn't have to. I was hoping to see more of the car accident scene too. Why they just jumped out of that scene so fast, I don't understand.
Old 10-09-17, 08:00 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

It's not a masterpiece. It is a pretty straightforward story. Even the ending you could see coming a mile away.
Old 10-09-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
For all the denial and hiding of the ailment from the parents it wasn't all that shocking that the parents knew everything about it, Very solid and well paced.
Yes, I figured this was coming.

It's always nice seeing Laurent Lucas from Calvaire in a horror movie. I thought it was pretty good. Sibling rivalry, the quest for forbidden fruit, budding sexuality all seem to be mined pretty well here. Surprisingly was able to find this one On Demand Sling.
Old 10-09-17, 08:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Went in completely blind so didn't know it had any hype. I liked that the nudity and gore weren't gratuitous but just sort of mildly there at appropriate places.
Old 10-09-17, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not huge on body horror/tons of gore/cannibalism in general so I have to say I'm glad it wasn't too over the top gory like it's been hyped to be but still cringed in places such as the finger scene Chad mentioned. I can't say I "enjoyed" the experience a ton either on an entertainment level since it's so bleak and that hazing is on a whole other level yikes, but better than average for making me feel uneasy not knowing what to expect.
Old 10-10-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

That was the best anti-vegan propaganda I've ever seen. I laughed, I cringed, I craved cheeseburgers.
Old 10-10-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were a few scenes that really had me squirming. My significant other was most disturbed by the sister putting her arm up the cow's rear. This wasn't a CGI rear either....

I was a little baffled that the sisters never decided to get together for a chat. It seems like some of their issues could have easily been resolved 'If we just talked about it'.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-10-17 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The hair vomit was the scene that grossed me out the most.
Old 10-10-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were arguing about the roommate having the phone number of both sisters. Am I missing something? Were both sisters kryptonite to the gay roomate?
Old 10-11-17, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
They were arguing about the roommate having the phone number of both sisters. Am I missing something? Were both sisters kryptonite to the gay roomate?
That's a good point. It seems like maybe part of that scene was foreshadowing but it doesn't gel with the plot. The sister's had quite a rivalry so maybe they'd just gotten to the point of enlisting whoever was around to alley with one or the other (?).
Old 10-12-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Also, I can understand hazing on the part of immature undergraduates, but veterinary students in post-graduate study should have a higher standard of behavior.
Based on this, it's easy to see you don't work with graduate students
Old 10-12-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Based on this, it's easy to see you don't work with graduate students
I just have an MA, never had any blood thrown on me nor was forced to eat rabbit kidney while i was working on my thesis. Must be the post-docs.
Old 10-15-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I have to say I'm disappointed. I was promised a film so disgusting it would make me throw up, but the gore is pretty tame. It reminded me of Ginger Snaps: a pair of sisters coming of age and beset by an unfortunate condition, in this case the desire to eat people.

Gobear pretty much echos my sentiments. I, too, was underwhelmed by the gore here, but there were certainly some uncomfortable scenes. It did remind me a lot of Ginger Snaps. I kept thinking of it while I was watching. I think I preferred Ginger Snaps, but this was a pretty good movie.

I think a female directing this did probably bring some feminine insight into the issues concerning budding sexuality and rivalries between sisters, but I did find the relationships all over the place. I guess it's true that sisters can have very conflicted relationships, but it was so inconsistent between being caring and supportive and then fierce rivals, all the while apparently not really communicating anything. Including with the parents! You'd think that would be something they'd prepare the children for in some way (explain it as an extreme allergy?), but that would have ruined the last-second reveal. The gay roommate was also a strange character. I guess he wasn't so gay after all. I understand fluid sexuality, but he just didn't make much sense to me. He seemed like more of a plot convenience.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I thought it was a good, not great virus/cannibal film. Personally, Its very similar to 2013 Contracted, which I liked better.
I recorded Contracted recently for the challenge. I thought the two sounded similar based on the description. It's showing on one of the Showtime channels.

Edit to add: I just watched Contracted. The two movies do indeed feel very similar in a lot of ways, but there's something about the sexual transmitted aspect of Contracted that made it that much more scuzzy and gross - and I guess that much more real.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-17-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 06:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I also kept waiting for the incredibly shocking experience to occur, based on the hype, but can't say I was let down. I was fully engrossed by the movie, and feel they did right by holding back.
Old 11-01-17, 05:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

When she started eating her sisters finger, I instantly felt sick. I've never really had a film make me feel that way. I really enjoyed this movie though for whatever reason.