Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
4.76%
23.81%
33.33%
23.81%
4.76%
9.52%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-17, 11:31 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Kingsman: The Golden Circle" (Starring: Taron Egerton, Mark Strong, Elton John, Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry, Hanna Alstrφm, Julianne Moore, Channing Tatum, Colin Firth)

Release Date:
9/22/17

Rating:
R (for sequences of strong violence, drug content, language throughout and some sexual material.)

Running Time:
141m. (2h. 21m.)

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
When the Kingsman headquarters are destroyed and the world is held hostage, their journey leads them to the discovery of an allied spy organization in the US called Statesman, dating back to the day they were both founded. In a new adventure that tests their agents' strength and wits to the limit, these two elite secret organizations band together to defeat a ruthless common enemy, in order to save the world, something that's becoming a bit of a habit for Eggsy... Written by Twentieth Century Fox

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.6 (2,834 votes as of 9/21/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:49 Rotten:43 (53% as of 9/21/17)

Metacritic:
49 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 9/21/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-21-17 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 11:33 AM

Re: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

hope to see this Saturday. lower reviews this time around, but fuck it, it's all about fun...
Old 09-21-17, 12:32 PM

Re: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Vaughn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

bump for release night...
Old 09-21-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Im watching this tonight, can't wait.
Old 09-21-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

The trailers for this haven't really sold me on it yet. Looks like an average sequel to me. Still I like the first film and Vaughn is a solid director so I'll give it a shot at some point.
Old 09-21-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

The cowboy angle isn't endearing itself to me. I'll wait and see what the reviews say about that.
Old 09-21-17, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The cowboy angle isn't endearing itself to me. I'll wait and see what the reviews say about that.
click the links in the OP. should tell you all you need to know. this is review proof for me. i'm seeing regardless. i feel like fun at the movies again. this looks more of the same, which is what the critics are coming down on it about, that it isn't fresh or as creative as original, but that is fine. they introduced us to a style and characters that are very likable and this just continues with more of the same in different settings...
Old 09-22-17, 05:19 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I loved the original but didn't care much for this one. The CGI is really terrible. The action is cartoonish. I don't know why every single fight scene needed to look the way it did. It was way too long and I found myself bored.

Edit... completely agree with Stuckmann's review:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/le3g7yvHY2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 09-22-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
click the links in the OP. should tell you all you need to know.
I've already seen the reviews from my usual trusted reviewers. I'm talking more about the reviews in this thread.
Old 09-22-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've already seen the reviews from my usual trusted reviewers. I'm talking more about the reviews in this thread.
Just be prepared for spoilers, obviously.
Old 09-22-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed it overall but it's definitely an inferior sequel. It does run a bit too long and should have had about fifteen minutes cut. Channing Tatum is wasted in basically a cameo, I didn't like how they killed off some characters from part one that I liked and Halle Berry seems way miscast in a role that looks like it was meant for someone younger. I thought the Elton John parts got stupid after awhile, and for some reason, Ahlstrom seems to look way older than in part one.

Where this movie really shines is in the action which while being cartoony never bothered me, and Julianne Moore having the time of her life as the villain. This is still a fun world and I would be down for part three and I liked the addition of The Statesman. Pascall also deserves attention as I had no idea Oberyn from Game of Thrones was in this.

Overall its too long and not as fun as the first, but I did find some enjoyment from it and look forward to part 3 if it happens. 3.5/5 overall.
Old 09-22-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It was fun and basically what I expected. I had only recently seen the first one and loved it. This one was almost as fun. The action was cartoonish, but it was in the original, too, so that didn't bother me.

Things I didn't like included the butchering of the cast from the first movie, although one death scene towards the end was a fitting and great way to go for a character. And I thought all of the Elton John stuff was stupid and not as funny as they thought it would be. Other than that, I just had fun watching this movie, which was all I was really expecting. Over-the-top action and good times.
Old 09-22-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Still some fun moments, but I would have rather seen a sequel make better use of some of the cast members from the first film. It's crazy to me that

Spoiler:
they kill off Roxy early, but give Princess Tilde a story line.
Old 09-23-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - R - Eggsy joins forces with his American counterparts to save the world, again

When Kingsman: The Secret Service first came out in 2014, the hyper-kinetic and ultra-violent spy comedy brought us the story of Eggsy (Taron Egerton), a London street rat who was destined for greater things. He was recruited into the Kingsman, an ultra-secret agency that engaged in adventures that would make James Bond proud. We watched Eggsy’s transformation from brash West-End thug into a dashing, competent secret agent under the guidance of Harry (Colin Firth) and Merlin (Mark Stone). Unfortunately, mentor Harry is apparently killed by Samuel L. Jackson’s villain, Valentine, but Eggsy is able to not only save the world, but avenge Harry’s demise. He also rescues and wins “the girl”, the Swedish princess Tilde (Hannah Alstrom).

As Kingsman: The Golden Circle opens, Eggsy is now an experienced agent in a committed relationship with Tilde. He is immediately besieged in the first minutes by henchmen from the mysterious drug cartel, The Golden Circle. Their leader, the chipper, maniacal, and certifiably insane Poppy (Julianne Moore, having time of her life), sets out to completely destroy the Kingsman and nearly succeeds. She has a plan to extort the United States (and the world, by extension) by poisoning all recreational drugs, then holding the antidote ransom with two key demands - legalize all drugs, and grant immunity to all drug suppliers and dealers.

After a devastating attack on the Kingsman, only Eggsy and Merlin are left standing, but soon discover their American counterparts, the Statesman, based in a distillery in Kentucky. Lead by head agent Champ (Jeff Bridges), the Statesman, who include Tequila (Channing Tatum), Whiskey (Pedro Pascal), and Ginger (Halle Berry), open all their resources to the remaining Kingsman. In a twist, it turns out the Statesman saved Harry after being shot in the head, but he now has amnesia and only remembers his life before joining the Army.

Director Matthew Vaughn again helms Kingsman, and being a typical sequel, he ups the cartoonish action, and creates even more ludicrous scenarios and situations for Eggsy, Merlin, and the others to navigate. The result in no way resembles anything in real life, but that is the intent of the Kingsman series - to take James Bond-style movies and stretch them beyond the limits of credibility. In this, Kingsman succeeds fantastically. The addition of the Statesman is fun and, as it turns out, eventually necessary. I am interested to see where the Kingsman series goes from here.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is another fun, crazy take on the spy genre, with plenty of eye-rolling humor. It’s a little long and could lose about 20 minutes, but is still worth a look. I’ll give Kingsman: The Golden Circle 3.5 lightsabers out of 5.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (POSSIBLE SPOILERS): Kingsman: The Golden Circle is rated R for language, violence and one sexual encounter. Like the first movie, the F-bomb is plentiful, along with s***, a**, and other profanities. Again, the violence is very highly stylized and nearly cartoonish. A couple of people encounter Poppy’s meat grinder in surprisingly bloodless scenes. A man is torn apart by robot dogs. Millions of people are poisoned, then rounded up to die. A main character sacrifices himself to ensure the success of the mission. Eggsy, while undercover, must get very intimate with a target to plant a tracker. While no nudity is shown, the tracker is planted in the woman’s private parts.

AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are NO after-credits scenes.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 09-23-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Good but not as great as the first. I enjoyed seeing Eggsy and the group again, but all the new characters was meh. Channing was wasted.
Old 09-24-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Too many subplots and way too long for the story, but it still entertained the hell out of me. I couldn't help but think of the Sand Snakes from Game of Thrones when Pascal was swinging the whip. I still think Matthew Vaughn may be the best action director working these days. I would love to see him reboot the GI Joe franchise as this movie proves he can do cartoonish violence and action to perfection (the merit of that can be debatable). Overall, this is very much the kind of sequel you get when they play it safe and just go with more of the same with less character development. Good, but not great.
Old 09-24-17, 07:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I noticed that when Harry made the martinis he "stirred for 10 seconds while glancing at an unopened bottle of vermouth."
Old 09-24-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am wondering if Roxy isn't really dead since we never saw her die and she seemed to be running for safety. Typically in movies like this if you don't see someone die they're not gone. Hell, we saw Harry take one point blank to the head in the last one and they found a way to bring him back so I'm pretty sure they can find a way to bring back people who died off screen.
Old 09-24-17, 07:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, there are definitely multiple sequel paths.
Old 09-24-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I'm kind of wondering if they introduced the Statesmen to use them in another sequel, or as a possible spin-off. I'm thinking the latter.
Old 09-24-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I am wondering if Roxy isn't really dead since we never saw her die and she seemed to be running for safety. Typically in movies like this if you don't see someone die they're not gone. Hell, we saw Harry take one point blank to the head in the last one and they found a way to bring him back so I'm pretty sure they can find a way to bring back people who died off screen.
That occurred to me as well, but I would have preferred to see her working with the team in this film not some hypothetical sequel.
Old 09-24-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Caught it this afternoon, like everyone else it was fun but definitely not as good as the first. I didn't see an issue with the action or it being any more cartoony, it seemed basically the same as the first movie although it lacked anything as crazy as the church sequence and actually thought there was a bit of a lull from the opening bit until the end sequence.

Channing was definitely wasted, although Pascal was fun. Halle also seemed kind of wasted in her role too. I was also disappointed to see so many characters killed off, especially Roxy and his dog Elton John was hit or miss for me, and kind of overused. I'm not a prude or anything, but the tracking device stuff just seemed silly and pointless

Regardless, still fun, i'd watch and hope for another. The universe is a lot of fun.
Old 09-26-17, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty much agree with most of the comments already made. While I'm a big Elton fan, they could've trimmed him in a few scenes. As I suspected, not a fan of the Statesman inclusion.

Side note: If you happen to see this at an Alamo Drafthouse, the Meat Grinder Burger off the special Kingsman menu is pretty good, along with the curry ketchup for the included steak fries.
Old 09-30-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this last night. Thought it was pretty fun minus a handful of subplots that I didn't care about.

I loved Elton John in this
Old 09-30-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I haven't seen this yet, but in the previews it looks like they were ripping off Wonder Woman's golden lasso, except this one glows blue. Why would they do that? Is it really that obvious of a rip off in the movie?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.