Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's IT: Chapter 2 (2019, D: Muschietti) -- New, Rumors, etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-06-17, 03:48 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Not officially greenlit... but all signs point to this happening. Bring on CHASTAIN!!

The new reboot of Stephen King’s “It” hasn’t even opened in theaters, but director Andy Muschietti is already planning for the next installment. The sequel is a near-certainty since King’s book switches off between two storylines, and it’s already known that the film that opens Friday focuses more on the child characters.

Though it has always been planned as a two-part story, Warner Bros. isn’t emphasizing the two movies in marketing materials. Perhaps the studio learned from “The Dark Tower,” which was planned as a movie, TV series and more, but fizzled after the first film disappointed.

However, the movie itself leaves plenty of room for a sequel, not to mention the fact that the title card at the end of the film (MILD SPOILER ALERT) reads “It: Chapter One.”

The novel “It” follows a group of children known as “the Losers Club” as they battle the evil force known as Pennywise, then follows up with another battle with the creature 30 years later. While the 1990 miniseries adaptation directly follows the plot of King’s novel, including interdimensional travel (Carey Fukunaga’s original script for the reboot reportedly included a dimension portal), Muschietti’s version is much more grounded and does away with the weird otherworldliness…at least for now.

Muschietti told Variety that he doesn’t think of the next film as a sequel, more like the second half of a single story and that’s he’s prepared to helm this project as well.

“I really wanted to focus on the emotional journey of the group of kids. Getting in to that other dimension — the other side — was something that we could introduce in the second part,” Muschietti said in an interview with Yahoo Movies. “In the book the perspective of the writing… is always with the Losers, so everything they know about Pennywise is very speculative and shrouded in absurdity, so I wanted to respect that mystery feeling of not knowing what’s on the other side.”

“It” is expected to break the record for biggest opening weekend of a non-sequel, R-rated horror film, currently held by “The Conjuring,” which debuted to $41 million in 2013.

“It” opens in theaters Sept. 8.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/it...ng-1202548044/
Old 09-08-17, 09:56 AM

Re: Stephen King's IT: Chapter 2 -- New, Rumors, etc

Rumors suggest a target release of 2019.

New Line is making strides on the “It” sequel, hiring writer Gary Dauberman to work on the script.

Andy Muschietti, who directed “It,” is expected to return for the second installment, although he has not closed a deal yet. Producers Barbara Muschietti, Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith, and David Katzenberg are believed to be back as well.

Stephen King’s 1986 novel focuses on a group of friends in a fictional Maine community that battles the small town’s demon as kids, and then again as adults. The New Line movie, which opens Friday, centers on the children, while the upcoming film will follow them into adulthood.

Dauberman is one of three writers credited on “It,” along with with Chase Palmer and Cary Fukunaga, who was attached to direct before departing due to creative differences. Dauberman has written a trio of horror films for New Line’s “Conjuring Universe” — “Annabelle,” “Annabelle: Creation,” and “The Nun.”

Muschietti said in a recent interview that he’s already planning the second movie.

“I really wanted to focus on the emotional journey of the group of kids. Getting in to that other dimension — the other side — was something that we could introduce in the second part,” Muschietti told Yahoo Movies. “In the book the perspective of the writing … is always with the Losers, so everything they know about Pennywise is very speculative and shrouded in absurdity, so I wanted to respect that mystery feeling of not knowing what’s on the other side.”

New Line has not set a release date for the “It” sequel. Dauberman is repped by ICM Partners, Lars Theriot at Industry Entertainment Partners, and Eric Suddleson at Felker Toczek.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/it...an-1202550077/
Old 09-08-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Here is where I get fearful. Ok, not here but after this. I know it is a two-part story and this next chapter will also rock. But will New Line get greedy and try to push it beyond the book in an effort to build a franchise?
Old 09-09-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Here is where I get fearful. Ok, not here but after this. I know it is a two-part story and this next chapter will also rock. But will New Line get greedy and try to push it beyond the book in an effort to build a franchise?
I hope not. But if they truly want to build a franchise, start adapting more of King's material and have it set in the same universe, pretty much the way he writes his books. Adapt another King universe book and then have insert the originally planned coda scene with Chastain as Beverly at the end as their version of the "MCU credits scene."
Old 09-09-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I hope not. But if they truly want to build a franchise, start adapting more of King's material and have it set in the same universe, pretty much the way he writes his books. Adapt another King universe book and then have insert the originally planned coda scene with Chastain as Beverly at the end as their version of the "MCU credits scene."
*cough*cough*Dark*cough*fucking*cough*Tower*cough*bomb*
Old 09-10-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

They could easily go the prequel route. There's a lot of history in the novel that probably won't be covered in the movie.

I'm tempted to say that period pieces don't have a lot of appeal to mainstream audiences, but It takes place in the late 80s. Granted, it's riding a nostalgia wave for the 80s right now, so audiences might not care about an It movie set in 1960 or 1930.

A 1930 It movie could cover stuff like the Black Spot and the Derry shoot out. A late 50s/early 60s It movie could cover that era from the novel where It terrorizes kids by taking the form of horror movie icons of that era, which was changed for the 80s setting, maybe even using the parents of the 80s kids in some capacity.

I don't necessarily think they should, but it would be consistent with the source material.
Old 09-10-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

*cough*cough*Dark*cough*fucking*cough*Tower*cough*bomb*
*cough* different studio *cough*cough* crappy adaptation*cough*cough* might work different with people who give a shit involved *cough*cough*cough*
Old 09-10-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm glad Chapter 1 is doing well. I feared it would be like Dragon Tattoo, and not do well enough for the sequels to be made.
Old 09-10-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*cough* different studio *cough*cough* crappy adaptation*cough*cough* might work different with people who give a shit involved *cough*cough*cough*
*cough*cough*I*cough*love*cough*you*cough*man*

I still hope we will get to see an appropriate adaptation of The Dark Tower some day.

That does bring up a good point though ... rights for King's works are all over the place. What is out there for them to use?

It would be very interesting to see New Line use "It" to accomplish in movies what King attempted to accomplish in his writings (particularly Dark Tower). If that were to happen, I would hope they don't try to make Pennywise the conjoining thread.

So, can we officially call the sequel "ItII"?
Old 09-10-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*cough*cough*I*cough*love*cough*you*cough*man*

I still hope we will get to see an appropriate adaptation of The Dark Tower some day.

That does bring up a good point though ... rights for King's works are all over the place. What is out there for them to use?

It would be very interesting to see New Line use "It" to accomplish in movies what King attempted to accomplish in his writings (particularly Dark Tower). If that were to happen, I would hope they don't try to make Pennywise the conjoining thread.

So, can we officially call the sequel "ItII"?

you bring up a valid point. Realistically or this concept to work WB would have to buy the rights to all of Stephen King's properties like they bought DC Comics. But to do that they would have to spread money to a LOT of different studios. I really do wish they had bought the rights to Dark Tower as well and planned it as several movies, as well as maybe The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon. This would enable them to have Randall Flagg as the conjoining thread as in the books.
Old 09-10-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

For the post credits scene for It :Chapter 2 they can have Becerly or whoever survives (never read the book) start coughing ...
Old 09-10-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this project just got put on the fast track!
Old 09-10-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

117 million opening weekend. Yeah they are gonna milk the hell out of this thing.
Old 09-25-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

‘It’ Sequel to Float Into Theaters September 2019

The sequel to New Line’s “It” will be released on Sept. 6, 2019, including IMAX, Warner Bros. announced Monday.
http://www.thewrap.com/it-sequel-to-...eptember-2019/
Old 09-25-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,161 Likes on 4,193 Posts

I listened to Muschietti in a podcast. He wants to include the kids in the sequel, which surprised me and obviously put the pressure on the studio to shoot the picture pretty quickly before the kids all grew up.
Old 09-25-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I listened to Muschietti in a podcast. He wants to include the kids in the sequel, which surprised me and obviously put the pressure on the studio to shoot the picture pretty quickly before the kids all grew up.
Might only be a rumor, but I read he had shot some additional footage with the kids in preparation for the sequel.
Old 09-25-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is my next question: what is New Line willing to spend? Chapter 1 only cost $35 million to make. Adult actors, particularly if they go for known actors, will cost more. (Maybe I'm stuck in a Blumhouse mentality ...)
Old 09-25-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, considering the first It movie will make over $500M worldwide, I think they're willing to up the budget. Maybe $75M?
Old 09-26-17, 03:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

They’ll have to include the kids if the studio is smart. They were clearly the best parts. Would be able to add in flashbacks that omitted a lot of the kid stuff from this one. I’m curious how Part 2 will turn out.
Old 09-26-17, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Brack
They’ll have to include the kids if the studio is smart. They were clearly the best parts. Would be able to add in flashbacks that omitted a lot of the kid stuff from this one. I’m curious how Part 2 will turn out.
They've already said the kids would be included in this.
Old 09-26-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

With this earning in excess of $500M, I am assuming that The Stand is now on the fast-track for a trilogy.

Seems like this is the kind of thing that would fire up a lot of Hollywood interest in King projects, but most of his adaptions tend to flounder at the box office... Dark Tower, Carrie (remake). Doesn't seem like there's a lot out there for them to make or even remake. A lot of his "classic" period has been made and remade (Shining, Salem's Lot, Dead Zone, Carrie) and I don't see Christine or Firestarter setting the world on fire. Maybe Pet Sematary.
Old 09-26-17, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe Pet Sematary.
Which Muschietti says he wants to do.
Old 09-26-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Well, Muschietti's doing a project for HULU (I think), so I don't know if he will get to Pet Semetary anytime soon.
Old 09-26-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, Muschietti's doing a project for HULU (I think), so I don't know if he will get to Pet Semetary anytime soon.
Where does this leave Robotech?
Old 09-26-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Where does this leave Robotech?

Was he doing Robotech? I thought it was Shadow of the Colossus?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.