Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: Cult (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Election Night" -- 9/5/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Cult (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Election Night" -- 9/5/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

American Horror Story: Cult

Episode Descriptions

Election Night 701 9/5/2017 10 PM ET/PT

The FX limited series, American Horror Story, returns for a seventh installment. Written by Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk; Directed by Bradley Buecker

10 episode 7th season. Currently slated to run through November 7th

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b9uMWKPdnPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-05-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Cult (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Election Night" -- 9/5

Hoping this is a bounce back season. I stopped season 6 at episode 4 and just haven't gotten around to finishing it...was so bored and checking the time throughout those episodes.
Old 09-05-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Cult (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Election Night" -- 9/5

Can't wait. Roanoke was probably my favorite or second favorite season. So bring it on!
Old 09-06-17, 07:59 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i always watch the first episode to see if i like the premise or not
Old 09-06-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was their weakest start ever. Everything about that was 100% predictable given Murphy's political / gender bias leanings. I hope that stuff is gone in the next episode otherwise this may be a skip year.
Old 09-06-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That was their weakest start ever. Everything about that was 100% predictable given Murphy's political / gender bias leanings. I hope that stuff is gone in the next episode otherwise this may be a skip year.
and do you expect "that stuff" to be gone? I'm skipping this round.
Old 09-06-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Weren't there rumors that last season would end up featuring Charles Manson (or something along those lines)? I guess they just saved it for this season.

I'd agree on this being a slow start. Within the first five minutes, I knew there would likely be many viewers lost because of the political content. It didn't bother me, but the episode didn't really get me excited about the season. I didn't think it was bad, though. We'll just see how the story progresses.
Old 09-06-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Was Chaz Bono playing the same character he played last season? I don't remember if he died or not. Did he get his hand chopped off like shown here?
Old 09-06-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a couple more thoughts I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The clowns tormenting Sarah Paulson's character reminded me a lot of Let's Scare Jessica to Death. Mentally fragile woman seeing things that may not be there and being pushed to the brink of sanity.

Assuming what she is seeing is real, it made me start to suspect that maybe the wife has something to do with it. I realize scary clowns are having a moment, what with It set to premiere, the rash of scary clown sightings around the country and of course Twisty, but it seemed awfully convenient that this woman's specific phobias are tormenting her. I was thinking maybe the wife is a part of this cult or is feeding them information to drive her spouse crazy. I'm probably way off, but I was thinking a lot about it while I was watching.
Old 09-06-17, 04:52 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This was really annoying to watch.
Old 09-06-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the premiere was ok. I'm curious to see how Evan Peters' character builds up his cult. The clown stuff might get annoying after awhile.
Old 09-07-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I found Twisty to be one of the better parts of that previous season, I was glad to see him back. And having Evan Peters back as a main character after the last two seasons is a huge plus. But I'm pretty meh on the rest of it all so far. Can't stand Paulson's character and the whole clown thing seems like a way to capitalize if IT does well. I'm hoping as the cast expands (it always does) the series will get better.

I didn't mind the political stuff since I personally believe it was all spot on. But I figure there will far less of it going forward. It had basically already gone away half way through that first episode.
Old 09-07-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This was really annoying to watch.
This.
Old 09-07-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Little off topic but....I really struggle with this series as I'm sure a lot do. It's tough to get through a lot of episodes as they normally kill all tension and scares by turning entire seasons into a thriller rather than a horror story.

That said, I'm finding that I like Roanoke - nice singular story so far and while definitely not the greatest, I might just finish this one off.

Cult looks interesting to me as well.
Old 09-07-17, 09:21 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this opener was hilarious in a Scream Queens sort of way, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be.
Old 09-08-17, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

I have 20 minutes to go to get thru this first episode... watching a great show shouldn't be such a struggle. I've watched every season and I want to give this a fair chance... but Paulson's character is insufferable so far.
Old 09-11-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Echoing lots of the sentiments here. I am finding it impossible to be sympathetic to Paulson's character because we had no time with her before her (possible) psychotic break. We jumped straight into full-tilt crazy. She is just obnoxious -- that's all they have shown us. We didn't get to see a "warm" side that would make us feel her plight when her world falls apart.

Count me in on the "wife being in on it" theory. I'll one-up and add the detective too. Don't know why, but it's the bleach blonde hair that set my hackles on end.

I'll give this a few episodes, but there was nothing here tonight to hook me into the season. I also don't see a full season's worth of material but that is what has me mildly intrigued. Where does it go?
Old 09-11-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Finally watched the 1st episode last night. Not sure I really understood what it was about.

All I got was that Evan Peters was some kind of lunatic obsessed with Trump. Sarah Paulson was just some random person with an anxiety issues and it got worse after Trump got elected.

And who were the people who murdered the Lesbian couple's Asian neighbors?

I did at that blatantly racist scene with Peters and the Mexican workers with him taunting/baiting them to kick his ass.

I don't think anything about it was "predictable" as alluded earlier in this thread last week. I just found it all over the place.
Old 09-11-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I assume it's an introduction to these people, who are willing to join a cult. And why they're willing to join.

But I learned something about AHS... never assume anything. We're not given many details. And they're willing to flip the plotting constantly.
Old 09-11-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Finally watched the 1st episode last night. Not sure I really understood what it was about.

I don't think anything about it was "predictable" as alluded earlier in this thread last week. I just found it all over the place.
If you are like me, you'll get to the end of the season and still not know what the point was. That was the case with the last one anyway.

I think the "predictability" was more a reference to the show hitting every character trope it could (not so much the events).
Old 09-11-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windom
Was Chaz Bono playing the same character he played last season? I don't remember if he died or not. Did he get his hand chopped off like shown here?
I think you've mixed up Bono's Roanoke character, who was an actor on the in-universe TV show, with the "real" Polk boy that he was portraying. Bono's Roanoke character is presumably alive in well and unmaimed in Hollywood somewhere.
Old 09-11-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Count me in on the "wife being in on it" theory. I'll one-up and add the detective too. Don't know why, but it's the bleach blonde hair that set my hackles on end.

I'll give this a few episodes, but there was nothing here tonight to hook me into the season. I also don't see a full season's worth of material but that is what has me mildly intrigued. Where does it go?
There's definitely something shady about the detective.

Originally Posted by DJariya

All I got was that Evan Peters was some kind of lunatic obsessed with Trump. Sarah Paulson was just some random person with an anxiety issues and it got worse after Trump got elected.

And who were the people who murdered the Lesbian couple's Asian neighbors?

I did at that blatantly racist scene with Peters and the Mexican workers with him taunting/baiting them to kick his ass.

I didn't read it that Evan Peters was obsessed with Trump. I thought it was more he saw Trump's victory as an opportunity to unleash chaos. The people who killed the Asian neighbors had to be associated with Evan Peters since he clearly held a grudge against the neighbor from that meeting.
Old 09-11-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Martin Scorsese was making the Joker origin movie? Oh well, glad they are including Harley Quinn in this version.
Old 09-12-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Echoing lots of the sentiments here. I am finding it impossible to be sympathetic to Paulson's character because we had no time with her before her (possible) psychotic break. We jumped straight into full-tilt crazy. She is just obnoxious -- that's all they have shown us. We didn't get to see a "warm" side that would make us feel her plight when her world falls apart.
Agreed.