Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queens of the Stone Age - "Villains" 8/25/17

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-22-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Tracklist:

1. Feet Don’t Fail Me 5:42
2. The Way You Used to Do 4:34
3. Domesticated Animals 5:20
4. Fortress 5:27
5. Head Like a Haunted House 3:21
6. Un-Reborn Again 6:41
7. Hideaway 4:18
8. The Evil Has Landed 6:31
9. Villains of Circumstance 6:09

Standard versions:

vinyl:

CD:

deluxe vinyl:

indie retailer exclusive cover:

Got it a little early, been listening to it - it's pretty awesome! One of their best albums actually.
Old 08-22-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Queens of the Stone Age - "Villains" 8/25/17

I spun this a couple times and, while it's good, I thought Clockwork was better.

I'll prob grab the regular vinyl edition this weekend. Not a big fan of the indie cover.
Old 08-23-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the two singles, have the record ordered on Amazon.

One of my favorite bands, looking forward to it.
Old 08-24-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought "Them Crooked Vultures" was better than Clockwork. I know technically it wasn't a Queens album but it certainly sounded like it.
Old 08-26-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love this record. Un-Reborn Again is probably my favorite track, but I don't think there are any songs I don't like.
Old 08-26-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only listened to the first half but rock solid so far. I loved Like Clockwork.
Old 08-27-17, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good, solid all the way through, but not as stellar as Like Clockwork, which is IMO their best album.
Old 08-29-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

So I only dislike 3 songs on this album, tracks 3 (but I'm on the fence with this one), 5, and 9. People are making such a big deal about the album closer (Villains of Circumstance I think it's called?) I think it's a horrible, boring song.

Glad to see they tried something different her because they needed it, I don't even own any of their previous albums - like clockwork showed some promise but overall fell flat.

This was a nice surprise from a band I almost gave up on.
Old 08-29-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My QOTSA album ranking!

1. Rated R*
2. Like Clockwork
3. Them Crooked Vultures**
4. Songs for the Deaf
5. Villains
6. Lullabies to Paralyze
7. Era Vulgaris
8. self-titled

*I was an OG Kyuss fan, but didn't discover QOTSA until Rated R, so that was my intro to the band, so a very subjective #1.
**I consider TCV to be a QOTSA album. I mean, Homme unlike his other side-projects, wrote all the songs, sings and plays guitars. Jones and Grohl were essentially the same hired hands like he gets for QOTSA albums.
Old 08-30-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the album, more upbeat than the last one .. and really one of the reasons I like this band, the albums have some variation.

Ranking (and I agree with TCV essentially being a QOTSA album)

1. Songs for the Deaf
2. Them Crooked Vultures**
3. Era Vulgari
4. Like Clockwork
5. Rated R*
6. Villains
7. Lullabies to Paralyze
8. self-titled
Old 08-30-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sadly, like I did with clockwork, I've already stopped listening to this album and have moved on.
Old 08-30-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'm gonna have to give this a spin on one of those digital service sites (Amazon or Spotify), because everyone is going wild over this record. Granted, I always liked their first album, but lost track after. I know they were friends with the Kyuss and Fu Manchu guys, so I may already like QOTSA's evolved sound.
Old 08-30-17, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this even more on a second listen. Still not quite to the level of Clockwork, but a damn good record.
Old 08-30-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Ditto. Took me a few spins to get into the groove but I am very much into it. There isn't a single song I would skip. Agreed it isn't quite Clockwork but for them to make something even close is still an accomplishment.
Old 08-31-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kind of forcing myself to listen to it more at this point. I wanted to mention as well due to slop101's post....I hear ya on the subjective thing, Lullabies would be the album for me, I know, definitely not the greatest by any means but so many memories with that album playing in the background whether it be at parties, driving around - many memories.
Old 08-31-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised people have the debut listed so low since I think their first 3 albums are very solid. Post Oliveri, I enjoy Like Clockwork the most. The others are ok, but have a lot of forgettable material. Villains isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of "The Way You Used to Do".
Old 08-31-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you wanna get this on vinyl, splurge a little and get the deluxe edition. The mastering is the same for all vinyl, but the deluxe was pressed at Pallas in Germany (arguably the best vinyl pressing plant in the world), and it's a much better pressing than the normal vinyl (cleaner, more quiet, etc), to say nothing of the superior package.
Old 08-31-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I'm surprised people have the debut listed so low since I think their first 3 albums are very solid. Post Oliveri, I enjoy Like Clockwork the most. The others are ok, but have a lot of forgettable material. Villains isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of "The Way You Used to Do".
I like the first album a lot .. I like all there albums a lot. In fact I was just listening to the vinyl this afternoon.
Old 12-10-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

So Josh likes to kick women in the face.

Josh Homme kicks female photographer in the head at KROQ Acoustic Christmas

UPDATED: Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme can be seen violently kicking a female photographer in the face in a video taken at KROQ Acoustic Christmas on Saturday.

The incident happened during the band’s performance on night one of the L.A. radio station’s 28th annual holiday concert.

Chelsea Lauren, a photographer for Shutterstock, which has a licensing partership with Variety owner Penske Media, said the incident was unprovoked and that Homme was even smiling before he struck her.

“It was obviously very intentional,” she said.

Homme released a statement Sunday, characterizing the incident as an accident.

“Last night, while in a state of being lost in performance, I kicked over various lighting and equipment on our stage,” the statement reads. “Today it was brought to my attention that this included a camera held by photographer Chelsea Lauren. I did not mean for that to happen and I am very sorry. I would never intentionally cause harm to anyone working at or attending one of our shows and I hope Chelsea will accept my sincere apology.”

Lauren was on one side of the stage while three other photographers were together on the other side of the stage. In the video, Homme can be seen walking past Lauren, then backtracking a step to kick away her camera.

“Josh was coming over and I was pretty excited, I’ve never actually photographed Queens Of The Stone Age before, I was really looking forward to it. I saw him coming over and I was shooting away,” she said. “The next thing I know his foot connects with my camera and my camera connects with my face, really hard. He looked straight at me, swung his leg back pretty hard and full-blown kicked me in the face. He continued performing, I was startled, I kind of stopped looking at him, I just got down and was holding my face because it hurt so badly.” Eventually she returned to the press room, where a rep from KROQ in the press room received a text from an audience member asking, “Did the guitarist for Queens Of The Stone Age kick a photographer in the face?”

Lauren returned to the pit to shoot Thirty Seconds To Mars and Muse, but went for treatment later that night at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. A social worker who looked at the video while she was at the hospital was one of several people, including many who have seen the clip on social media, who have encouraged her to press charges. She plans to file a police report Sunday.

“I feel like if I don’t do anything, he gets to kick people in the face and not get in trouble because he’s a musician,” the photographer said. “That’s not right.”

Minutes after the incident, Lauren said Homme took out what appeared to be a knife after the lights went down and cut his own forehead, dripping blood for the rest of the performance. (Wrestlers call this “blading,” or intentional cutting to provoke bleeding)

It’s unknown if the 44 year-old Homme was under the influence of alcohol or drugs on Saturday. At one point, he called the sold-out audience “retards” before insulting the night’s headlining act, Muse. “F— Muse!” he exclaimed. He also encouraged the crowd to boo him, told everyone to take their pants off, saying, “I want to give you all a night you’ll never remember.”

Lauren, who spoke to Variety immediately after the incident, as well as over the phone Sunday morning, said she plans to return to the Forum to shoot the final night of KROQ’s gala on Sunday, which features the Killers, Weezer and Phoenix. “I was getting on the elevator when I walked past Tim McIlarth from Rise Against,” she said. “He smiled at me and I was reminded there are a lot of good guys in music still.”

Homme was sued by an autograph collector in March, who alleged that the musician was verbally and physically abusive after a 2016 Iggy Pop concert (with whom Homme was performing) in Detroit. The lawsuit alleges that Homme “intentionally and physically grabbed plaintiff around the shoulder area” and “said something to the effect of—I am not signing autographs for you blood sucking eBayers, I am tired of you making money off me but I will take photos with you.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...190456797.html

I guess he went insane?
Old 12-10-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Homme is a well-known lush and watching that video, it's clear he very intentionally kicked her. Like a dick. That half-assed apology was clearly cooked up by someone on his team and it holds no water.

I love QotSA but the guy is a real douche often.
Old 12-10-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've known people that have worked with Homme over the years, the consensus is that he's either the nicest, most considerate guy in the world, or the biggest asshole of all time (especially if he's been drinking) - nothing in between.
Old 12-11-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Kind of a dick it seems.
Old 12-11-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So Josh threw Nick out of Queens years ago because he said he had zero tolerance for violence against women. Gold Josh....pure gold.
Old 12-19-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D
So Josh threw Nick out of Queens years ago because he said he had zero tolerance for violence against women. Gold Josh....pure gold.
Didn't even think about that. He made a half ass apology video when he found out that people weren't stupid and knew he was an ass.

People are saying "This is the most attention this dude has had since 2003" - it does kind of reek of a publicity stunt but then again, he has major anger issues which his past clearly reflects.

Wonder if he could hold his own in a fight? doesn't look he could but ya never know.