Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheaper international shipping than USPS?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I likely already know the answer, but is there any way to shave a few dollars off USPS's international shipping charges? I don't find them so enticing. This is a one-off, private transaction, no EBay or Amazon Marketplace sale, and it seems I can't send two Blu-Rays to the UK for less than $22.50. (Just one is $13.50.) Thanks.
Old 08-25-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Cheaper international shipping than USPS?

As much as I hate to say it...that doesn't sound too far out of bounds. I recently sent a couple of books via USPS to Canada and Back (author friend of mine to sign them and send them back) and I paid about $15-17 each way.
Old 08-26-17, 05:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is to send the 2 Blu-rays without the plastic cases, just the discs and inserts, and have the recipient put them in new cases upon arrival.
Old 08-26-17, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that occurred to me, but I'm not sure if the recipient is game. I should be able to stuff the contents of the 2nd case inside the first disk's case and stay below USPS's 8 oz. threshold.

For a while I wondered if Mailboxes Etc. (before they were bought out) could have used their size to negotiate better rates with USPS and then offer them to the public, and if a chain like this exists somewhere today. But I guess USPS would never agree to such a contract.

I also wondered if there was a way to sign up with a minor "marketplace" site like Alibris or Half Price Books Marketplace, simulate a "sale", and piggyback on their rates...assuming they offer a shipping service. But then a metered postage label would make it harder to claim the package as a gift.

Most companies offer fairly reasonable overseas shipping, which makes it hard to stomach the rates for these walk-in, one-off transactions.