Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Flixster / Flixstervideo - no longer providing playback or code redemption after 8/28

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Flixster / Flixstervideo - no longer providing playback or code redemption after 8/28

Old 08-22-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

https://www.flixstervideo.com/redeem

To our Flixster Video US Customers:

As of August 28, 2017, the Flixster Video US service will no longer be able to provide code redemption and playback of titles due to circumstances beyond our control related to the unexpected shutdown of a critical vendor. Flixster Video customers will still be able to redeem codes and access their UltraViolet video collections by linking their UltraViolet accounts to VUDU, another UltraViolet retailer. Consumers who have previously linked their UltraViolet accounts to other UltraViolet digital retailers such as FandangoNow will continue to be able to access their video libraries at those retailers.

A step-by-step guide is available in the FAQ below to assist you during this transition.

Frequently Asked Questions
YOUR VIDEO COLLECTION ON FLIXSTER VIDEO

What is happening with Flixster Video?
Effective August 28, 2017, Flixster Video in the US will no longer offer streaming or download of video content and will cease providing digital copy code redemptions.

What will happen to my UltraViolet digital copy redemption codes that have not yet been redeemed and my Flixster Video collection?
Flixster Video suggests using VUDU to redeem your UltraViolet digital copy codes and to access your video collection. Log in to VUDU, or if you do not have an account already, register at VUDU and link your existing UltraViolet library, then continue to redeem your UltraViolet digital copy codes and access your video collection at VUDU.

What will happen to current issues (i.e. redemption, playback, etc.) that I have with my collection on Flixster Video?
VUDU brings a new and exciting redemption and playback experience for Flixster Video customers! Using their services should solve the issues you currently have with Flixster Video.

Go to VUDU
YOUR VIDEO COLLECTION ON VUDU

When will I be able to view my video library on VUDU?
If you already have an account with VUDU and it is linked to the same UltraViolet account that your Flixster Video account is linked to, simply log in and access your collection on VUDU immediately. If you create a new VUDU account, please link to your existing UltraViolet account to access your existing collection. It can take up to 24 hours after you register on VUDU for your video collection to be accessible. To create an account, go to VUDU and follow the instructions on how to sign up.

How do I stream my video on VUDU?
Once you see your video collection on VUDU, just click on the “watch” button/icon to stream and enjoy your collection. Go to VUDU for more details.

What about videos I downloaded from my Flixster Video Collection?
Your previously downloaded videos will no longer be available for playback as of August 28, 2017. You can easily re-download your videos on VUDU. Once you see your video collection, click on the “download” icon.

FLIXSTER VIDEO APPS AND DEVICES

What will happen to the Flixster Video app on my smartphone, tablet, smart TV, or any other device where Flixster Video app is available?
Effective August 28, 2017, the apps will no longer provide redemption or video playback services, and will instead have a landing page that will provide you options for accessing your video collection via VUDU. At some point in the future, the apps will become inactive, so we suggest signing up with VUDU and deleting the Flixster Video apps from your devices. Follow your specific device's instructions on how to delete apps.

Why am I not able to download the Flixster Video app on my device any longer?
The Flixster Video app for smartphones, tablets, gaming systems, and enabled TVs are no longer available for download from all app stores.

What devices will I be able to view my movies on or after August 28, 2017?
For a list of VUDU’s compatible devices, please visit www.vudu.com

LINKING ULTRAVIOLET AND VUDU

How do I link my VUDU account to my UltraViolet Library, or verify that it is linked?
On the top right-hand corner, you will see your "Name" or Account Name.
Bring up the drop down menu, and visit the "Ultraviolet" menu item.
If you have already Linked your UV account, you will see the details of the linked account here.
If you have not yet linked a UV account you will see the option "Create Ultraviolet Library" or "Already have Ultraviolet?", be sure to click "Already have Ultraviolet". Use the same Ultraviolet Account that is linked to your Flixster Video account.
How do I verify that the UltraViolet library linked or that I should link on VUDU is the same one as my Flixster Video?
If you are already logged in, then go to https://www.flixstervideo.com/account.
If not, then log in at flixstervideo.com.
On the top right-hand corner, you will see a person icon with a dropdown arrow.
Bring up the drop down menu, and visit the "My Account" menu item.
You will see the UltraViolet account that is linked to Flixster Video.

Note: Flixster Video displays the UltraViolet account name while VUDU displays the UltraViolet Library Name. If you have named these two differently, follow steps 1-5 above to go to your Flixster Video UltraViolet Library page, then

Click on “Manage My Account”. This will take you to your UltraViolet Dashboard.
Click on the “Settings” option box. This will take you to your User Settings Tab. From here you can see your UltraViolet User Name which should match the UltraViolet account that appears as linked to your Flixster Video account.
Click on the Library Settings tab. On this page, it will show you the Library Name that you gave this UltraViolet account. This Library Name is what should appear on or link to VUDU to ensure access to your Flixster Video collection.
What do I do if the UltraViolet account shown on Flixster Video does not match the UltraViolet library in VUDU?
You can merge the libraries via the UltraViolet website. Go to UltraViolet https://www.myuv.com and check out their Help Page

Go to https://www.myuv.com and click on "Help" at the top right corner.
Scroll down to the "Settings" section and look for "Can I merge two separate UltraViolet Libraries?"
Expand "Can I merge two separate UltraViolet Libraries?" for instructions on how to merge your UltraViolet Libraries.
What do I do if I can't remember my UltraViolet account information?
You can go to the UltraViolet Log In page and reset your password from there.

Go to https://www.myuv.com and click on "Log In” at the top right corner. If you arrived at UltraViolet via another site and are logged in without having entered your password, make sure to log out.
From the UltraViolet Log In window, click on “Forgot username or password?” and follow the username or password reset from there.
Go to VUDU

For additional questions about Flixster Video, or if you have problems signing up with VUDU to redeem codes or access your video collection, please contact Flixster Customer Service
Anyone have one of those James Bond Collection UK/Canada UV codes that need to be redeemed on Flixster? I'll buy one for $10.
Old 08-22-17, 06:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Flixster / Flixstervideo - no longer providing playback or code redemption after

I'll pay $11.
Old 08-22-17, 09:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Flixster / Flixstervideo - no longer providing playback or code redemption after

I don't think I've ever done a Flixster redeem. Maybe 1, but that's it. I don't get what the big deal is...
Old 08-22-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Some titles are only available for redeem via Flixster. Also, their customer service was much more responsive than VUDU.

Last edited by b2net; 08-22-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And right now it seems the site will not allow a login.
Old 08-22-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I've done some files on flixster (hated the name) but eventually went all-in on Vudu (don't like Walmart). It sounds from the above like there are no more flixster exclusives--I'm pretty sure the 1960s Batman series was one, but then it popped up on my Vudu.
Old 08-23-17, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's a bigger problem than many realize. We are now down to VUDU as the only legitimate UV provider.

If you have any UHD UV codes you haven't redeemed yet, Flixster was the only service giving full UHD rights on certain discs. Flixster also had much better service than VUDU.
Old 08-23-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UK Codes, UHD Codes, other countries codes, all gone by Monday. I'll have to take some time this weekend and see what has to be redeemed via flixster and just do it (Don't have time to sell them). Huge blow...now VUDU is really the only game in town. Fuck. Sorry for the outburst. *sigh*

Last edited by Kedrix; 08-23-17 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Damn it, they are gone by monday...
Old 08-23-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People have put together a list of Flixster to VUDU HD "UV" issues here.

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...ilable-at-VUDU

I never used them, except maybe one redemption, but CinemaNow is also having issues, and probably done too. They are no longer listed here:
https://www.myuv.com/where-to-watch

I guess if VUDU goes away, we'll still have them in our UV locker, just not going to be able to watch them anywhere.

I might have to start going iTunes. I only have 1 Apple TV though and streaming on it for me is worse than my Roku's VUDU app.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 08-23-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CinemaNow has been down for weeks and weeks... Can't get app to open on Roku and their website is down.. I turned in a help desk ticket and was told they are working on it and hope to be back up soon... Which was also weeks ago. What sucks is I have content on CinemaNow that is only there as well as a gift card balance with them... All of which will be lost if CinemaNow doesn't come back..

Flixster may likely cause similar issues for others.... Ugh
Old 08-23-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
People have put together a list of Flixster to VUDU HD "UV" issues here.

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...ilable-at-VUDU
Thanks for that, I forgot about Regular Show S1&S2. I mean I won't be able to get it over at VUDU, but at least my locker will have it.
Old 08-23-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson

I guess if VUDU goes away, we'll still have them in our UV locker, just not going to be able to watch them anywhere.
I've got over 1500 movies on Vudu (about 98% of them UV), so I do have a vested interest in this, but I'm not worried about Vudu going away. Walmart is likely finding a way to make money off of the venture, and I think the competition isn't doing as well. It looks like FandangoNow is doing a great job, though.
Old 08-24-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Wow, crazy, I didn't realize CinemaNow was basically gone.

https://hd-report.com/2017/08/08/cin...rm-is-no-more/

Here is the inside scoop.

The CinemaNow service no longer exists in any real capacity. All of the employees have been laid off, and no one knows if payments will be made to services which allow the platform to operate (which has been the case for several weeks).

FilmOn in its year and a half of ownership did next to nothing to support the product and regularly failed to meet even the most minimal of promises to third parties which were integral to the success of CinemaNow. The dwindling amount on content, as well as UV’s departure from the service are all a result of FilmOn refusing to invest any resources into the company outside of the labor costs of the existing employees who struggled to provide a service worthy of customers time and money.
Man, UV is really in dire straits. VUDU basically the only provider, with FandangoNow a distant secondary.
Old 08-24-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Guess we can call it CinemaNever now! As I've said before, it was pitifully unusable on the Roku although the interface did look pretty nice, though not as much as Vudu. Took over a minute just to load my UV library, and then it wouldn't play any of them in 5.1 sound despite indicating that they should stream in DTS (it was really 2-channel PCM.) Emails to the company about that were fruitless.

I do "own" one movie on CinemaNow which I guess I'll never be able to watch again- "Hillbillies in a Haunted House", bought with a $5 Target Ticket credit which then transferred to CinemaNow when that went under. I watched it on Target Ticket when I first heard its days were numbered. This is just one more reason not to collect movies this way; in fact I should probably watch all the UV movies I now have sooner rather than later (all were traded for UV codes that came with discs, for movies I don't have and haven't seen.) If UV doesn't go under completely, I'd imagine one of the services will introduce something that intrudes on the movies eventually like Netflix's current interface does (yet another reason not to collect movies this way.)
Old 08-24-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I guess I still don't fully understand : I have a few titles that never ported from Flixster to Vudu (Adventure Time S1-3, Strike Back S1, some others). I also have a few Cinema Now digital copies that didn't include UV copies (as a part of pre-ordering movies at Best Buy and getting a digital copy to Watch Now -- including Django, Argo). I guess I lose those completely?
Old 08-24-17, 02:56 PM

And it's not surprising that Cinema Now went under. They NEVER put anything on sale, ever. What did they expect would happen when they were providing exactly the same content at a higher price?

Lord help us if Vudu ever goes under, though...
Old 08-24-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I guess I still don't fully understand : I have a few titles that never ported from Flixster to Vudu (Adventure Time S1-3, Strike Back S1, some others). I also have a few Cinema Now digital copies that didn't include UV copies (as a part of pre-ordering movies at Best Buy and getting a digital copy to Watch Now -- including Django, Argo). I guess I lose those completely?
According to the VUDU forums post I posted above, ADVENTURE TIME - S1 has ported to Vudu now.

So, hopefully they are working on some of those.
Old 08-24-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
I have Strike Back on Vudu after redeeming the codes in my BD sets so if they don't eventually port over for you, it'll be because they won't, not because they can't.
Old 08-24-17, 07:11 PM

Hey, Strike Back is now showing up for me on Vudu!

But Adventure Time S1 & 2 have totally disappeared -- even from Flixster for me. Not that I ever watched them, but WTF? I did have them once digitally and now they're gone.
Old 08-24-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Strike Back!
Old 08-24-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

So, I've been looking around, and it seems like there's a new service coming called Movies Anywhere, which is powered by Disney's Keychest platform, currently used for Disney Movies Anywhere. All the major studios (except Paramount and Lionsgate) are already signed up and in the system on VUDU (one of the MA providers).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wkdixOJxY/view

https://plus.google.com/115939350275...ts/cF9PWwWHuWY
https://plus.google.com/115939350275...ts/2sfq57ERtor
Old 08-24-17, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

so if i have everything all digital and nothing left to do with any service (i only use Vudu really), this doesn't affect me in anyway, correct?
Old 08-25-17, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

It shouldn't- in fact UltraViolet was meant to be a safeguard for one service going under or starting to suck, since you'd still have others to watch your movies on.

Sounds odd that other studios are joining Disney Movies Anywhere, I always thought Disney had their own deal because they were too "special" for Ultraviolet, but now they're letting other studios in it?
Old 08-25-17, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So Disney Movies Anywhere allows me to buy a Disney movie on one service and watch it on any of them. Would this new service theoretically do the same for all participating studios? That would be great considering I have purchases on four major services (iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, Microsoft).
Old 08-25-17, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Damn, that sucks about Cinema Now. Granted, I never really used them because their selection sucked, but I did have a few things there including a 30 minute Dark Knight Rises documentary and some content from the old Target service that went under. Hmmm, I'm curious if any of it is elsewhere on one of my UV accounts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.