Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic Misfits Lineup (Glenn Danzig, Jerry Only & Doyle) to Reunite

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Who would have though.

http://loudwire.com/classic-misfits-...16-riot-fests/

Old 05-12-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Classic Misfits Lineup (Glenn Danzig, Jerry Only & Doyle) to Reunite for 2016 Rio

ehhh.... Graves was the better vocalist.

/ducksandrunsaway
Old 05-12-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Classic Misfits Lineup (Glenn Danzig, Jerry Only & Doyle) to Reunite for 2016 Rio

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man

/ducksandrunsaway
Old 05-12-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've never seen any version of Misfits, and am only partially interested in their music, much more so their legacy. This is one of the reasons I enjoy shows like Riot Fest, there's usually enough interesting stuff to make it worth the ticket, whereas I wouldn't pick up a ticket to see this band specifically.
Old 05-12-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'd see them live. It'd be a short ass set, though. I've only seen one version of Misfits and that was back in 2004 when they opened up for Alice Cooper at the Greek.

Saw Doyle open up for Mushroomhead last year. Doyle is cool as hell.
Old 05-12-16, 11:57 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Old 05-12-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Doyle is cool as hell.
And dating a smokin' hottie 20 years younger than him.
Old 05-12-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mndtrp
And dating a smokin' hottie 20 years younger than him.
Old 05-12-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Holy fuck! Please let there be some kind of tour after these shows. It would be cool if one of the original drummers was on board too.

Man, this and a GNR reunion (almost) in one year, who would have dreamed that?
Old 05-12-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There had better be an LA show!

I've been a big Misfits fan for most of my life. I've seen Danzig do Misfits sets at least 5 or 6 times, but to have a legit reunion? I will def be there.

Now, the only question is: who's on drums?
Old 05-12-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

They could play their entire output in one 2 hour show.
Old 05-12-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws

Now, the only question is: who's on drums?
Be awesome if they got Arthur Googy back for this, but since he isn't mentioned, I will assume he's not involved.
Old 05-12-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Be awesome if they got Arthur Googy back for this, but since he isn't mentioned, I will assume he's not involved.
That would be cool, he was the drummer when the Danzig/Only/Doyle line up first got together I believe. But having Robo involved would be really cool too!

I didn't get seriously into the Misfits until shortly after they broke up, so having a chance to see this classic lineup would be huge for me, I'm still a very big fan.
Old 05-12-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

ROBO was in the Misfits'95 band recently so there's a big possibility he could be involved in the reunion.
Old 05-13-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Im most happy for Doyle. There's clips of him pleading for this to finally happen.
Old 05-14-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Misfits' Jerry Only Explains How He Reunited With Glenn Danzig
"We were never not friends," bassist says
By Kory Grow May 13, 2016

Founding Misfits vocalist Glenn Danzig and bassist Jerry Only will get onstage together for the first time in more than 30 years at Riot Fest this fall, but despite decades of bitter, public legal drama, the latter says a reunion is not as far-fetched as it sounds. "We were never not friends," he tells Rolling Stone. "We were just adversaries. Larry Bird might not have liked Michael Jordan on the court, but when they go out to a bar they're cool."

The reunion, which includes longtime guitarist and Only's brother Doyle, stemmed from a legal meeting that Danzig had with Only and Misfits management in January. The pair have had a long history of lawsuits, over the rights to the band's name and merchandising, and they wanted to get on the same page before more litigation. "We went in there wanting to cut each other's throats," Only says. "It was turning into another court battle and it turned into a reunion. We walked out the door knowing we were going to play together. It's a very cool thing."

Only remains vague about the exact details of the meeting – who reached out to whom first ("Who gives a shit," he says) – but he says that everyone agreed that if a reunion were to happen, it should be when all of the members are "in their prime." Moreover, he says that all of his past arguments with Danzig have made him a better musician – they led to him becoming de facto frontman of the group in 2001. Because his skills are greater, he's excited for the singer to return.

"The man has vision," Only says of Danzig. "Where we go from here, let's make sure we get along first. 'Cause we're doing well both on our own. If we do it and it don't work, fuck it – we did it, man. But that's not the case. … I think we're going to get out there and back it up. And we're going to be the best band ever. That's my guess. It's going to be fun."

One thing that's for sure is that Only is carefully considering Danzig's side of the reunion. "I wouldn't have done it unless I thought Glenn was really about it," the bassist says. "I said, 'Look, I know every song, so you pick the songs and you pick the set. That way you got the best shot of giving your best show.' And we sat down and that happened pretty quick. We went through all the songs. We got 'Halloween,' 'Die Die My Darling,' no doubt, 'Last Caress,' boom boom boom. We picked out the songs and we came up with about 30 songs. We're still messing around with the order."

A drummer for the reunion has yet to be announced, though Only says they have one in mind who seems like a solid bet. "We're throwing names up on the board, and I just said this name out of the blue," he says. "And Glenn said that's my favorite drummer." The few hints the bassist will offer are that the drummer is a "family guy" who has lost positions in bands due to his commitment to his family. The bassist has a meeting scheduled with the drummer in June to begin rehearsing.

Next year will mark Misfits' 40th anniversary, but for now Only has his sights on the Riot Fest shows, the first of which will take place Labor Day weekend in Denver. The second – and only other date scheduled – will take place two weeks later in Chicago. "If we make it to the second show, I'm a happy fucking guy," Only says. "I'll guarantee you I'm keeping to myself, I'm going to do my job, I'm going to work out every day, I'm going to play. Glenn likes my manager, John [Cafiero], so if I keep John right there in the middle and make sure that me and Glenn both get what we want, then there's absolutely no problem. When you put two tigers in the cage, it's an issue. It took me 39 years to realize that." (Cafiero, on the line, later repeats that Only and Danzig enjoy each other's company.)

"When you put two tigers in the cage, it's an issue. It took me 39 years to realize that."

Although the future of the reunion has yet to be seen, Only remains committed to Misfits regardless. After reaching an agreement with Danzig to tour and record under the moniker in the mid-Nineties, the bassist has become the group's leader, singing and fronting various lineups of the group on tour. They've put out four full-lengths, two live albums, a comp and an EP since 1997. He's releasing another Misfits EP, Friday the 13th, today, which he fast-tracked to come out around the reunion announcement and titular bad-luck day. It features the most recent lineup of the group, which included his son, Jerry Caiafa Jr., on guitar. But despite all the acrimony with his former partner, he says his continuation of Misfits has been in deference to Danzig.

"He was like a big brother to me," Only says. "He showed me what the scene was about. I took it and ran."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...anzig-20160513
Old 05-14-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

This would be a welcome addition to my concert going experiences this year. I already get to see three of my top five living bands. This would make four. I just can't go though the riot fest experience. I've seen the "Misfits" twice and I saw Danzig when he did the Legacy shows. If this reunion doesn't do a real tour, Danzig/Doyle will be the closest I get.
Old 05-16-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They need to at least do a hometown gig in the NJ/NY area.
Old 05-16-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I'm flying to L.A. To see ELO in September, I would absolutely fly to N.Y. to see the Misfits.
Old 05-22-16, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope they release a Live album / DVD to accompany the show.
Old 05-22-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering Jerry's willingness to slap the Misfits logo on every possible item under the sun, I would (hopefully) assume they'll release all kinds of reunion stuff if this is a success.
Old 05-25-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I should be seeing Doyle at a convention this Saturday, maybe I should ask him if there are any plans for other shows or a tour if these two gigs work out well (not that it would be up to him anyway, but who knows, maybe he has some more info he can share).

And yeah, if they release a blu-ray of one of these shows, I will gladly throw my money at it.
Old 06-03-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/ducksandrunsaway
I agree actually...
Old 06-04-16, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I'm flying to L.A. To see ELO in September, I would absolutely fly to N.Y. to see the Misfits.
Please tell me more.
Old 06-05-16, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

/ducksandrunsaway
while that may be true, Danzig has always been the better frontman, showman, songwriter, icon and pioneer. (And probably a bigger asshole and better martial artist too.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.