Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

"Smooth" Motion on Newer TVs

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

I'm late to the party on this one but I just now have a TV it applies to. I'm not sure if there's an official name for the feature but what's everyone's opinion on the video feature which "smooths" (how my TV calls it) the frame rate, making the picture look quite different. To me it makes it look like it's raw video rather than post-processed film, or something similar?

Seems to be common these days so I was curious how others felt about it? I ended up turning it off after a couple hours of using the new set. I don't think I could get used to it.
Old 08-22-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: "Smooth" Motion on Newer TVs

I can't stand it. To me it's akin to colorizing a black and white movie or chopping the original aspect ratio.
Old 08-22-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I'm not alone. Is there a name for this feature for future reference?

When it's on, I feel like I'm actually watching people get filmed on a studio set rather than characters in the show's world. Hard to explain...
Old 08-22-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Odd question about picture clarity
Old 08-22-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
Thanks; good info. Happy to see I'm in the majority.
Old 08-22-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Turn it off. Next topic
Old 08-22-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Garbage - turn it off.
Old 08-22-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Glad I'm not alone. Is there a name for this feature for future reference?
The official name, as far as I can tell, is "motion smoother." You may hear the effect it has on video referred to as "the soap opera effect." It gets no love from me; I hate the feature. Why does it even exist in the first place? It seems like such an odd option.
Old 08-22-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I was sort of fascinated by it at first when I saw it on a store display, -I just couldn't figure out how it was doing that, making it look so different, like video-tape. Of course, then I noticed the glitching in the movement (you see a similar thing when cable channels artificially speed up a TV show) and I lost interest.
A friend of mine loves it, though, and that's his standard setting. It's effective with reality shows.
I believe the feature is there to fix the artifacts that occur when you watch Sports or other events when there's a lot of motion and flashing lights.
Old 08-23-17, 05:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Apparently it was conceived to be used with video games. I'm not a gamer myself, so who knows, maybe it's great for that, but I know that for movies it just needs to stay off!
Old 08-24-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Video games usually need any processing options turned off just because they introduce delay into the display, meaning that your game is unplayable since what you're seeing on the screen is a split-second after it actually happened in your game system.

I find the feature a bit amusing, I've used it for a few things like kinescopes of live TV shows (filmed off a monitor, before videotape was available), YouTube uploads of video material at a lower frame rate (it almost restores it back to how it should look) and selfishly on a few concert videos that were shot on video intentionally at a lower frame rate- although that's how it's meant to look, I think it looks awful. If you shoot something on video it should be 30fps, a lower frame rate doesn't make it look like film, just crap.
Old 01-15-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I confess I get a huge kick out of Auto Motion Plus on my Samsung. It makes me feel that I am behind the scenes. The first time I witnessed it was at PC Richards on a Samsung they were playing Transformers 2 Blu-Ray with Auto Motion Plus and my jaw freaking dropped. It looked uncanny and so crisp.

Same with San Andres 4K and others looks pretty amazing real live action.
Old 01-16-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

The thing that drives me crazy about this 'feature' it's that it's enabled as the default in almost all TV's. Something that changes the picture this drastically for the worse should be something you have to turn on, not turn off. As a result most people don't even know they're watching it. They just think that's the way HD looks.

On my LG I have to turn this off on every input & every picture setting. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-16-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Keep it turned off unless you're watching sports.

And even then...
Old 01-27-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Keep it turned off unless you're watching sports.

And even then...
wouldn't auto smoothing make instant replays look goofy too?
Old 01-27-18, 10:49 PM

Yes, plus the commercials- that's how I can tell when restaurants and places like that have it on.

Incidentally, I am no longer speaking to my uncle because on Thanksgiving I saw he had the smooth motion turned on and he yelled at me when I attempted to turn it off. The guy is a professional photographer too- but he's also a Trump supporter.
Old 01-28-18, 01:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I’ll only turn it off when someone asks me to; which three people did during Christmas.

You don’t fuck with another man’s television. You just don’t do it.
Old 01-29-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I’ll only turn it off when someone asks me to; which three people did during Christmas.

You don’t fuck with another man’s television. You just don’t do it.
Yup.

Only time I ever dream of turning it on is during football. My Sony has a specific mode for football. Otherwise, keep that shit off my TV
Old 02-09-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

question while i'm at it, a TV with "Motion Rate 240" is also glorified motion smoothing right? that should be turned off if need be?
Old 02-10-18, 11:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The best thing to do is look up your TV on rtings.com and see what settings they recommend.
But yes, turn that off.
Old 02-10-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
question while i'm at it, a TV with "Motion Rate 240" is also glorified motion smoothing right? that should be turned off if need be?
Those #'s are all marketing bullshit. Most TVs are either 60 Hz or 120 Hz. Anything other than that is made up bullshit to trick consumers.
Old 02-10-18, 09:41 PM

24hz is the proper rate for movies, 60 for most American video (NTSC) and 50hz for European (PAL). It would be interesting to see a true 240hz format, but in that case the material would be INTENDED to be seen at that frame rate.
Old 04-04-18, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the early days of broadcast HD, this feature did help when watching sports. Which could be blocky or blurry. Nowadays that's rarely a problem.

Of course, it will make everything look like 30 fps video. But that wasn't a problem with sports. As that's how we've always watched sports on TV. It was a problem with movies, creating what many call the "soap opera effect". Because soap operas are the main dramatic programming in the US that was shot on video.

Funnily enough, a similar process was used when restoring old episodes of "Doctor Who". Because it was shot on video. But the only surviving copies from the 1960s are 16mm filmed recordings of the video tape original. So a process called VidFire was used to restore the video look to these episodes.
Old 04-04-18, 04:45 PM

That was also done with the DVD set of the Ed Sullivan Shows with Elvis Presley. That's actually a decent use for this "feature"- I've turned it on when watching other stuff that's from kinescopes. Video-based material already looks fine without it though- certainly no reason for it to default to being on.
Old 09-16-18, 06:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Christopher Nolan wants TV manufacturers to make it easier for consumers to turn off Smooth Motion.

https://www.thewrap.com/christopher-...ion-smoothing/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.