Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Molly's Game (2017, D: Sorkin) S: Chastain, Elba, Costner, Cera

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 02:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Michael Cera is in negotiations to join Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba in Molly’s Game, the directorial debut of Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin.

The Mark Gordon Co. is producing with Amy Pascal and her Pascal Pictures banner the adaptation of the Molly Bloom's Molly’s Game: From Hollywood's Elite to Wall Street's Billionaire Boy's Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker.

STX, EOne and The Mark Gordon Co. are financing the project. STX will distribute in the U.S.

Chastain is starring as the film's title character, Molly Bloom, a skier who, after her Olympic dreams were dashed, headed to Los Angeles and became a cocktail waitress. But she rose through the social circuit to became an organizer of underground poker games for the Hollywood elite, with players including Ben Affleck, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. Her poker games came to an end when she was arrested by the FBI.

Cera will portray a character named Player X, an elite player who happens to be a celebrity who develops a unique relationship with Bloom. A November start date is being penciled in.

Cera was one of the voice stars of Sony’s surprise hit Sausage Party and also lends his voice to the character of Robin in Warner Bros.’s Lego Batman Movie, which is due to open Feb. 10, 2017.

Before he shoots Molly’s Game, Cera will shoot Captain Dad with Will Ferrell and Catherine Keener.

Cera is repped by ICM Partners, Thruline Entertainment and Lichter Grossman.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20160907
Old 09-07-16, 04:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Molly's Game (2017, D: Sorkin) S: Chastain, Elba, Costner, Cera

Sounds like an interesting subject. I'll be interested to see Sorkin's directorial ability.
Old 09-07-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I suspect Sorkin will be a shitty director
Old 09-07-16, 07:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I suspect Sorkin will be a shitty director
Well, if he wrote the film too, I'd be very interested...
Old 09-07-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I imagine he'll have good acting, non-standout visual style with lots of tracking shots.
Old 08-14-17, 10:20 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B9tryJFeGIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-17, 09:04 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vu4UPet8Nyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I'm in!

And I don't know how she does it but Chastain seems to get more attractive with every role.
Old 08-16-17, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chastain looks incredible in this. Movie looks good too - I usually enjoy Sorkin's stuff.
Old 08-18-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Molly's Game (2017) -- W/D: Aaron Sorkin, S: Chastain, Elba, Costner

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vu4UPet8Nyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MOLLY’S GAME is based on the true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game for a decade before being arrested in the middle of the night by 17 FBI agents wielding automatic weapons. Her players included Hollywood royalty, sports stars, business titans and finally, unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob. Her only ally was her criminal defense lawyer Charlie Jaffey, who learned that there was much more to Molly than the tabloids led us to believe.

In Theaters November 22, 2017

Cast: Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, Chris O'Dowd, Michael Cera, Joe Keery, Rachel Skarsten, Graham Greene and Brian d'Arcy James

Director: Aaron Sorkin

Writer: Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin. Based on the memoir by Molly Bloom

Producers: Stuart M. Besser, Mark Gordon, Leopoldo Gout, Matt Jackson, Lauren Lohman, Lyn Lucibello and Amy Pascal

Has a great cast and Aaron Sorkin wrote and directed it.

However, I don't know if the subject will appeal to the folks here. Nobody here watched Miss Sloane.

Can't say I'm fired up for it by viewing that trailer. Although Chastain does look freaking hot.
Old 08-20-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I dunno. I like both Chastain and Sorkin, but this looks too much like another Miss Sloane. Basically, Chastain gives a great performance as always, but that's really all the movie has going for it and that's not enough to appeal to the masses. We may be surprised by Sorkin's directing, but I feel it would have been best entrusted to someone else . Also, unless that release date is a limited one, this is going to get crushed over Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 08-21-17, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it'll crush it financially either, but I do think a movie about underground gambling has more mass appeal than a movie about political lobbying during a vicious political season.
Old 10-05-17, 09:14 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9v-pw0ZQRLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-08-17, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This looks really good, especially that second trailer. I'll see this for sure.
Old 10-10-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I like reading the books movies are based on, so I came across this. 90% of the time when a movie is based on real life people, the actor or actress is much better looking than the real life counterpart...but after seeing the real Molly, I'd say she gives Jessica Chastain a run for her money.

Damn!
Old 10-23-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This has been pushed back to a January 5th wide release (Christmas for NY/LA).
Old 12-19-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got lucky and caught an advanced screening of this last night. I liked it quite a bit, my only quibble being that Sorkin overindulges on the dialogue and has the characters go off on tangents. Wish Sorkin would tone it down a bit, the guy is clearly in love with himself and his writing.

It's a good story and well acted. Elba moreso than Chastain I thought. Wouldn't be against Elba getting at least an Oscar nomination for the role. Chastain is very good though, and has never looked better. She's in sexy and revealing outfits about 90% of the movie, so that was a big plus.
Cera isn't in the movie as much as the trailers make him out to be. Costner had a more impactful role as Molly's father. Strong performance.

Anyway, good movie, highly recommended.
Old 01-05-18, 03:47 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: Molly's Game (2017, D: Sorkin) S: Chastain, Elba, Costner, Cera

Saw this last night. I enjoyed the first 2/3 of the movie when it was mostly about all the poker playing shenanigans and the various colorful characters that showed up to play at Molly's high stakes poker games.

There's a great sequence where one of the top players completely falls apart after he foolishly outsmarts himself against someone he didn't know was a actually a shitty player.

Jessica Chastain was smokin' hot in this movie and it was hard to keep your eyes off her with all those low cut outfits.

Sorkin has a tendency to overwrite the dialogue just to show off his skill and some of it sounded contrived, but that didn't bother me too much at first.

However, in the end
Spoiler:
he turns what had been a rather dark and edgy portrayal of lives spinning out of control into a feel good movie about a strong woman overcoming the establishment and a rebellious daughter reconciling with the pushy father she felt never loved her enough.

The scene near the end where Molly's father (Kevin Costner) gives her a 3-year psychoanalysis in 3 minutes is way too on-the-nose in trying to explain the reasons for Molly's adult behavior and way too overwritten. Sorkin clearly has no faith in the audience figuring things out on their own. He has to spell everything out in big letters.

Then we have a scene that tries to paint Molly as heroically bucking the establishment and drawing parallels to "The Crucible" (which, of course, was heavily foreshadowed earlier) and even has Chastain doing a Daniel Day Lewis impersonation ("Because it's my name!") that totally took me out of the story.

Then we get a rah rah courtroom sequence which is clearly supposed to inspire us to rise from our seats and cheer for Molly, except it feels as corny as the ending to "The Untouchables" (Costner, again!).

The film is definitely worth a Moviepass admission to see Chastain, Idris Elba and some of the supporting actors (like Michael Cera) give noteworthy performances, but what starts off great ends up all soft and mushy.
Old 01-05-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I am so torn on this movie ... when I first saw the trailers I wanted to see it. It looks good and is getting decent word of mouth. However, I am having issues with supporting it. I’m not quite sure how to convey it ... it’s not really moral or ethical dilemmas ... it’s more ... distaste for supporting the person it is about?

I don’t know her or much about her, but she strikes me as a spoiled little princess who feels she should be able to do whatever she wants without repercussions. Casting her as the hero for running an illegal gambling racket just bothers me.

Additionally, but unrelated to the movie (I presume), her brother conveys more of the same to me. Again, I don’t know him or much about him, but he comes off as a shameless self-promoting scam artist.

Probably nothing I said is fair, but something just rubs me wrong with this and I’m having a hard time putting my finger on it.
Old 01-05-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. And damn Chastain is fine in this.
Old 01-05-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just got back from a late afternoon matinee and I really enjoyed it too.

Chastain was awesome. She owned all her scenes and damn, she was smoking hot in this. The low cut blouses, short skirts and tight dresses. She looked damn good and you couldn't help IMO but be mesmerized by Molly.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of dialogue-driven movies that are 2+ hours long, but I thought all the dialogue was sharp and this was really edited well, which made it feel less like a 140 minute movie. It was a really solid 1st directing effort by Aaron Sorkin.

The ending was a little too "Hollywood", but other than that it was a really interesting story that I found pretty compelling. There was some good backstory as well about Molly which I think added depth to her character. Costner was good as her father.

I'd give it a B+
Old 01-19-18, 02:10 AM

Good, but not great. Tooooo long and toooo talky.

I thought Idris Elba was the best part of the film. Chastain was good, but not Oscar-worthy, IMO.

Cut 20 minutes off this movie.
Old 01-19-18, 09:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
That's very surprising considering it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin.
Old 01-19-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper

I thought Idris Elba was the best part of the film. Chastain was good, but not Oscar-worthy, IMO.

Cut 20 minutes off this movie.
My exact thoughts. Sorkin's dialogue is absolutely exasperating at times. Chastain does well but she's also got this dead-behind-the-eyes quality in every film of hers. Elba did the best work, no question... but what the hell was that accent?

Far too long at 139 minutes, especially since it feels like we're going in circles for much of the time.
Old 01-20-18, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
That's very surprising considering it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin.
Right. I have loved his fast-paced dialogue at times in the past. I was riveted throughout The Social Network and Steve Jobs. But it just didn't seem as good to me in this.

It was a good movie, but nothing special. And nothing I'd really like to see again. Heck, you get on all these message boards and most of the talk from guys about this film is how hot Jessica Chastain looks and how much cleavage is shown.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.