Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-17-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MOD NOTE: Splitting off from the first Criterion thread...<hr>

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion.
Karma can be swift sometimes can't it?

Anyways, Criterionn is making a serious effort to put out some kick ass Blu's. I am impressed so far.

Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?
Old 05-17-09, 11:40 AM

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by macnorton
Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?
I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.
Old 05-17-09, 11:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.
Well, at least the shipping charge is once per order, and you get to keep the DVD packaging/booklet. But then, they don't even send you the blu-ray packaging, just the bare disc.

Trying to imagine a scenario where it makes any sense at all, and can't quite come up with one. Maybe once they have really high price multi-disc blu releases?
Old 05-18-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion.
Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.
Old 05-18-09, 09:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

[passes out] ... Playtime in blu... [passes out on floor again]
Old 05-21-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.
Old 05-21-09, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.
I would say the exact opposite...
Old 05-21-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.
The only time I worry about the cover tearing in a standard BD case is with LionsGate titles. They still use a bottom security sticker on certain releases. Lately on day & date titles, they have gotten rid of it. But there was 3 on the new T2 release. Luckily, my cover wasn't damaged at all.

So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.
Old 05-21-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case?
I don't know. I've never examined a PS3 game case in the flesh. The Criterion cases are made by Scanovo, however, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're a stock item (ie. a PS3 game case).
Old 05-21-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you happen to have a UK BD, that case is close to the same width as a PS3 game case, with the PS3 case being maybe a millimeter thicker.
Old 05-22-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.
Hello, I'm a long time lurker and figured I'd finally get around to registering to answer this. I help up my In the Realm of the Senses next to some of my PS3 cases and yes they do appear to be the same size and depth. The only difference is that the Criterion Blu doesn't have the plastic lip mentioned earlier, which allows for a larger cover slip.
Old 05-26-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.
Old 05-26-09, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...
Old 05-30-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists

Some new un-dated releases have surfaced including X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Howard's End, estimated to arrive late September and October respectively.
Old 05-30-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a pity.
Old 05-30-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boo.

It was never even Criterion worthy.
Old 05-31-09, 01:13 AM

Wow, that's the title I wanted least of all. I guess senior citizens have discovered how to use the internet.
Old 06-02-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro-B's review of The Seventh Seal from blu-ray.com. Looks spectacular!
Old 06-02-09, 07:50 PM

oops wrong discussion soz

Last edited by HumanMedia; 06-02-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Criterion?

I sincerely doubt it.
Old 06-03-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists
Look at my post in that thread for the poll, I said it would definitely win the poll simply b/c it was the only movie that everyone had heard of. What a shame.
Old 06-03-09, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by abintra

Release Lists

Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???
Old 06-04-09, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???
Nope I was wrong. It is the Criterion release.

"Last month, we offered customers the unique opportunity to vote for the next Blu-ray release from the Criterion Collection. We're excited to announce that "Howard's End [Blu-ray]" is the winning title and will be released from the Criterion Collection later this year. Why wait? You can pre-order "Howard's End- Criterion Collection [Blu-ray]" from Amazon.com today."

Source: Amazon (e)mailout.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 06-04-09 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-04-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.
Old 06-04-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.
Hey- look at you, posting my words! It's gonna be an absolute stunner and it's at the top of my list of the stuff I know Criterion is working on, presently.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.